Hello fellow Enthusiasts!

arjitmehra

Hey all!

I'm in a dilemma. I purchased my Home Theater setup for the first time in 2018. After looking at all the options I had and keeping my budget in mind and auditioning at a local store, I landed on Dali Spektor 1's and a Yamaha HTR 3067 to start my journey. After a year or so, I got a sub- Sonodyne 1108. I was blown away by its quality. The bass is punchy and goes decently low. For the price, it is great! Now, the problem I'm having with my setup is- it's just too good for the apartment! :(

I get several complaints from my neighbors upstairs and downstairs about the sound. Once they even called the police!!!! I've gotten irritated to the point that I no longer want it. It really hurts me but I think I can no longer enjoy the experience without disturbing the neighbors.

I've thought to sell the system for ~70% of the cost(2-year-old system, 1-year-old Sub) and just go for a mid-fi headphone setup. Any help and recommendations appreciated!

Hey all!

I'm in a dilemma. I purchased my Home Theater setup for the first time in 2018. After looking at all the options I had and keeping my budget in mind and auditioning at a local store, I landed on Dali Spektor 1's and a Yamaha HTR 3067 to start my journey. After a year or so, I got a sub- Sonodyne 1108. I was blown away by its quality. The bass is punchy and goes decently low. For the price, it is great! Now, the problem I'm having with my setup is- it's just too good for the apartment! :(

I get several complaints from my neighbors upstairs and downstairs about the sound. Once they even called the police!!!! I've gotten irritated to the point that I no longer want it. It really hurts me but I think I can no longer enjoy the experience without disturbing the neighbors.

I've thought to sell the system for ~70% of the cost(2-year-old system, 1-year-old Sub) and just go for a mid-fi headphone setup. Any help and recommendations appreciated!
Hey! Sometime it’s a common issue in an apartment. Do you have the HT set up in living room?? If yes. Try and move it to one of the bedrooms and get a fair amount room treatment done. Add thick carpet to the entire bedroom floor and have some wall panelling done and get some bass traps. Add a thick curtain to the window and rubber beading to the doors.
Try to decouple the sub from the floor a little by placing a thick foam underneath it. That’s it.
Most importantly keep the volume in check and if possible invite your neighbors for a drink and get them to experience HT. They would automatically buy one ;) and if they don’t buy one persuade them to.

Hi Arjit, welcome to the forum. Very nice introduction there.

If you run your system without the sub at moderate volumes, do your neighbours still get irritated? Asking since low frequency travels through solid objects or floor pretty good.

Hey! Sometime it’s a common issue in an apartment. Do you have the HT set up in living room?? If yes. Try and move it to one of the bedrooms and get a fair amount room treatment done. Add thick carpet to the entire bedroom floor and have some wall panelling done and get some bass traps. Add a thick curtain to the window and rubber beading to the doors.
Try to decouple the sub from the floor a little by placing a thick foam underneath it. That’s it.
Most importantly keep the volume in check and if possible invite your neighbors for a drink and get them to experience HT. They would automatically buy one ;) and if they don’t buy one persuade them to.
Hey! The setup is in my room only. I'd thought of getting the carpeting done actually, but didn't go through with it for some reason. I saw so many videos regarding room insulation and what not Will discuss with parents.

I actually have some thick towels under my sub, but the sound waves still somehow manage to escape :/ I believe the walls are just too thin in my society. Even the sound of an item falling on the floor gets through! It's really annoying.

Inviting the neighbours for a drink is out of question as they are both ass*****

Recently over been looking at headphone setups as I really think that would suit the environment more. I've narrowed it down to Hifiman Sundara + Schiit Magni heresy. My parents, too, get disturbed sometimes with the bass, so I've been thinking of turning to the other side.

Hi Arjit, welcome to the forum. Very nice introduction there.

If you run your system without the sub at moderate volumes, do your neighbours still get irritated? Asking since low frequency travels through solid objects or floor pretty good.
Thank you!! Yeah, at lower volumes (-20 Db on receiver) I get fewer complaints. Also, since it's winter time, and people don't use their fans or A.C, I believe they hear the sound even more as Over noticed I get fewer complaints in the summers.

For this same reason,I recently sold my 5.1 setup,no one ever complained but at the same time I never listened the system to its true potential.

It does but every individual has its own perspective,music to our ears can be noise to others .

You should look into sound proofing your room if you really want to enjoy your setup.

It does but every individual has its own perspective,music to our ears can be noise to others .

You should look into sound proofing your room if you really want to enjoy your setup.
Yeah, true that. The only thing holding me back is the money constraints. Gets kinda expensive to properly soundproof the room.

Hey all!

Hi

It is sad but true for some of us. Neighbours envy and Owners pride!

Suggest you keep the system and possibly tone down the volume of the sub. That would help to some extent. Overall hear the system on conservative levels till you have enough to sound proof the place.

As for me, I have made my neighbours and the area used to me. I play all genres of music and accordingly tone down the overall volume post 11pm. Given its work from home and schooling online, right now watching a nice movie on netflix (Atmos) and enjoying the experience. No complaints till date touch wood all these years! I stay in the old fashioned bldgs where rooms are next to each other....

In simple words, I work hard enough and would like to do my things my way provided it does not really harm or disrupt others around me. This is my views, you can take a call accordingly as circumstances are different for everyone!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back