Hello folks

dhirubhai

I am Dhiru from Pune. I don't get much time to listen to music these days.

I use headphones and earphones to listen to music mostly.

I also have a Norge audio amplifier and Paradigm speakers which haven't seen any usage lately.

I also have a Norge audio amplifier and Paradigm speakers which haven't seen any usage lately.

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

If the post / response to you helps in any way, use the 'Like' button which is located at the right hand bottom of the post. This helps to build up positive reputation for the FM (Fellow Member).

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

Welcome to the forum, @dhirubhai ! These days with audiophile Headphones/Earphones one can enjoy hi-fi music in a versatile manner. But sometimes we feel like breaking free of any bodily attachments, pressurising our rooms with the sound and listening to the music with family and friends, or even alone, with a glass/cup of refreshment. A small DAC-streamer with very little investment can get your amplifier and speakers to stream limitless music in your spaces.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

I have now setup the Norge 2060 amplifier + custom bookshelf speakers in a new apartment.

The audio chain looks like:

Apple Music (on old Android phone) -> Schiit Fulla DAC -> Norge 2060 amplifier -> Custom bookshelf speakers.

The remastered 'Dolby Atmos' classic Bollywood tracks on Apple Music sound so good! I avoid Apple stuff but have become an Apple Music fan lately.

I have my eyes on SMSL SU-6 Desktop DAC now but it can wait.

I avoid Apple stuff but have become an Apple Music fan lately.
Apple Music has come a long way in the last couple of years. A long term user of Apple products, I found the erstwhile iTunes and the early Apple Music app non-intuitive, unimaginative and limiting making me look to other apps/streaming services. But no more. Over the past year I have now come to settle on Apple Music as my primary/ go to music streaming service.

A number of factors have contributed to this. Starting of course with lossless, even Hi-res (I am not a Dolby fan) streaming at just Rs 99 pm, with a much improved and constantly growing Indian music collection as well as curation (playlists etc). Then the Shazam acquisition and integration for music identification as well as the lyrics display in easily readable font. The visual design of the tabs is now a lot more intuitive and streamlined from what it was. For someone with multiple Apple products, the integration of playlists, history etc is helpful too, though handovers aren’t yet a feature. I also like that Apple keeps the Podcasts to a separate app unlike Spotify where they get intrusive. Since I bought an Apple HomePod for my desk, it’s a breeze to play lossless music natively, but I seriously wish for Apple to open up their APIs or whatever to all streamers to allow native play like Spotify Connect or Tidal. Another limitation is the AirPlay 2 which cannot play lossless music from mobile to your system which I circumvent with an Apple AirPort Express connected to my DAC. What more, if you like Western classical, there’s a sister app which you can access for the same subscription. Classical music needs different classification and search approach and the Classical app, which is based on an acquisition, is designed perfectly for the same. How I wish they/ someone would make a similar app for Indian classical music! I’d so love to search renditions by sub-genres (khyal vs thumi), raga or thaat, even gharana, prahar etc!

Last edited:
Yep - I do use the Apple's 'Classical' app too for listening to Beethoven Sonatas among other things. "Zenph Re-Performance" of Gould 1955 is an all time favorite. The modern 'Open Goldberg Variations - Kimiko' recording is very enjoyable these days. The app works pretty well for me too.

I love female vocals a lot. Lately, I have been listening to 1990's Bollywood music which I grew up with as a child.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back