Hello to all HiFi Lovers !

SonicMania

Herbert Marcuse wrote "The people recognize themselves in their commodities; they find their soul in their automobile, hi-fi set, split-level home, kitchen equipment."

While I certainly don't see all of me in the things I own, I certainly do find myself belonging to experiences, sometimes out of the very same commodities, Herbert was talking about.

A big hello to all the audio lovers in this excellent forum. I'm an IT guy with a background in biology, who has always been attracted to good music.

I grew up listening to Indian Classical film music, with the occasional Eurovision kind of music that doordarshan would reluctantly broadcast only at midnight.

My first real introduction to the outside world began when we started getting video cassettes of English films in the mid '80s, and heard some wonderful western film scores, Shaft, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, James bond series of films, Doctor Zhivago, Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Chariots Of Fire, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly and The Godfather.

Along with that my other influence was Zubin Mehta, then the NY philharmonic conductor of Orchestra conducted a series a concerts in India, broadcast on doordarshan, which we taped of course, and heard many a slow summer afternoons.

After this my other major influences, were MJ, Prince, George Michael and others of the late '80's to 1990.'90s was spent listening to a lot of hard rock and heavy metal, some names that many now know in India, and sadly many others that my countrymen are completely oblivious too. I don't know why, All you have to do is look at Wikipedia like this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hard_rock_musicians_(A–M))

Grunge and alternative rock was really my youth music 95 - '00 Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, RHCP, Soundgarden, RadioHead, Foo Fighters etc etc

Blues and Jazz became my hot favorite around 2000, I've been listening to Jazz(and some blues) awhile now. Bebop, Hard Bop, Cool, Modal, Latin etc. Again wiki is your friend if you want to know more. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_genres)

To get to the equipment part, I haven't heard nearly as much music in the last ten years, This is somewhat because of my struggles with equipment, I came back to India in 2009 from the US after being there for a decade, and the equipment scene is not what it should be for a big country, to put it mildly.

I own a Onkyo 7.1 receiver, and a Bose 5.1 speaker system, I did not do much wrt to equipment as I was busy doing other things, I like to try to learn to play music, am a martial arts student for a couple of decade, and like to travel/trek. I also find new music on youtube and my other favourite since a year has been equipment teardowns/repairs, mainly HIFI systems on youtube.

But then I met Aman today on Facebook who steered me to this forum and my hopes for a vibrant listening community and importantly a DIY one, in the city I live in, Hyderabad, was rekindled.

So here I am, I hope to meets some or many of you, if we decide to do meetups. I hope to learn from all of you since I am not much of a equipment guru.

Namaste to all Audio and music lovers !

-SonicMania

Herbert Marcuse wrote "The people recognize themselves in their commodities; they find their soul in their automobile, hi-fi set, split-level home, kitchen equipment."

While I certainly don't see all of me in the things I own, I certainly do find myself belonging to experiences, sometimes out of the very same commodities, Herbert was talking about.

A big hello to all the audio lovers in this excellent forum. I'm an IT guy with a background in biology, who has always been attracted to good music.

I grew up listening to Indian Classical film music, with the occasional Eurovision kind of music that doordarshan would reluctantly broadcast only at midnight.

My first real introduction to the outside world began when we started getting video cassettes of English films in the mid '80s, and heard some wonderful western film scores, Shaft, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, James bond series of films, Doctor Zhivago, Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Chariots Of Fire, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly and The Godfather.

Along with that my other influence was Zubin Mehta, then the NY philharmonic conductor of Orchestra conducted a series a concerts in India, broadcast on doordarshan, which we taped of course, and heard many a slow summer afternoons.

After this my other major influences, were MJ, Prince, George Michael and others of the late '80's to 1990.'90s was spent listening to a lot of hard rock and heavy metal, some names that many now know in India, and sadly many others that my countrymen are completely oblivious too. I don't know why, All you have to do is look at Wikipedia like this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hard_rock_musicians_(A–M))

Grunge and alternative rock was really my youth music 95 - '00 Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, RHCP, Soundgarden, RadioHead, Foo Fighters etc etc

Blues and Jazz became my hot favorite around 2000, I've been listening to Jazz(and some blues) awhile now. Bebop, Hard Bop, Cool, Modal, Latin etc. Again wiki is your friend if you want to know more. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_genres)

To get to the equipment part, I haven't heard nearly as much music in the last ten years, This is somewhat because of my struggles with equipment, I came back to India in 2009 from the US after being there for a decade, and the equipment scene is not what it should be for a big country, to put it mildly.

I own a Onkyo 7.1 receiver, and a Bose 5.1 speaker system, I did not do much wrt to equipment as I was busy doing other things, I like to try to learn to play music, am a martial arts student for a couple of decade, and like to travel/trek. I also find new music on youtube and my other favourite since a year has been equipment teardowns/repairs, mainly HIFI systems on youtube.

But then I met Aman today on Facebook who steered me to this forum and my hopes for a vibrant listening community and importantly a DIY one, in the city I live in, Hyderabad, was rekindled.

So here I am, I hope to meets some or many of you, if we decide to do meetups. I hope to learn from all of you since I am not much of a equipment guru.

-SonicMania
wow, you really wrote quiet an intro buddy, good to have you here.
Welcome to the forum.

Hi

-SonicMania
Hi Sonic Mania,

Welcome to this wonderful forum. Hope you enjoy it out here.

-SonicMania
Welcome buddy.. We hope to learn from you as well

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back