Hello

KenD

Hello everyone, my name is Kenny and am based in Mumbai.

Am trying to improve the center channel performance. The dialogues are not clear and i need to crank up the volume which in turn gets too loud for the rest of the sound track. I feel its maybe my avr is unable to drive the center speaker. I have a marantz avr5012 driving an old Dali Blue C1000 speaker. The speaker is 4 ohms and probably needs more power. I had a similar problem with the fronts (Dali Blue 6006) that was resolved by the addition of a stereo power amp.
Am trying to get information on budget mono power amplifiers as i think that may help me improve the center channel.
Has anyone else faced / solved a similar problem?

a budget mono amp would help

however only if the speaker is half decent

dialogues
is there a frequncy cutoff that you can apply for the centre
if yes cutoff everything below 80Hz and see if the dialoges get clearer

last resort get another centre but something thats easier to drive

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you here.
You might get a better response to your query by posting your request in the Home Theater forum.

Good luck with your setup!

Thanks Nikhil. Let me do that
a budget mono amp would help

however only if the speaker is half decent

dialogues
is there a frequncy cutoff that you can apply for the centre
if yes cutoff everything below 80Hz and see if the dialoges get clearer

last resort get another centre but something thats easier to drive
Thanks Magma. Only option reg speaker setup in the amp is to set it up as large or small.
I think the Dali blue is a decent budget speaker.
The 4 ohm center is defn not getting enough power from the avr. Saw a big difference with the fronts when I added a power amp - a marantz pm7002 in power amp mode. They opened up considerably.
Any recommendations on a budget mono amp? I checked with Marantz and they said a stereo power amp like the mm7025 can run with just one speaker connected. Its not a cheap option though.

Thanks Nikhil. Let me do that

Thanks Magma. Only option reg speaker setup in the amp is to set it up as large or small.
I think the Dali blue is a decent budget speaker.
The 4 ohm center is defn not getting enough power from the avr. Saw a big difference with the fronts when I added a power amp - a marantz pm7002 in power amp mode. They opened up considerably.
Any recommendations on a budget mono amp? I checked with Marantz and they said a stereo power amp like the mm7025 can run with just one speaker connected. Its not a cheap option though.
Smsl a300 in bridge mode

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, my name is Kenny and am based in Mumbai.

Am trying to improve the center channel performance. The dialogues are not clear and i need to crank up the volume which in turn gets too loud for the rest of the sound track. I feel its maybe my avr is unable to drive the center speaker. I have a marantz avr5012 driving an old Dali Blue C1000 speaker. The speaker is 4 ohms and probably needs more power. I had a similar problem with the fronts (Dali Blue 6006) that was resolved by the addition of a stereo power amp.
Am trying to get information on budget mono power amplifiers as i think that may help me improve the center channel.
Has anyone else faced / solved a similar problem?

Did your issue get resolved?

Hi, I haven't bought a power amp yet. The smsl a300 seems the most budget friendly way to address it but I haven't mustered the confidence to go for it.
Check the specs and it should work. The Marantz will adjust the tonal balances when you run setup again and levels, you just need ample power for the speaker. Else it may make sense to sell this AVR and go for the 6000 series which works well for most speakers

Check the specs and it should work. The Marantz will adjust the tonal balances when you run setup again and levels, you just need ample power for the speaker. Else it may make sense to sell this AVR and go for the 6000 series which works well for most speakers
I changed my power amp and fronts recently. Have a quad elite stereo amp running quad z4s. The receiver mostly acts as a streamer and DAC. Movies are once in a while. But i do want to solve the center channel issue. Maybe its a mono power amp and a better center speaker. But want to be sure that what I buy works well.
In my experience the receiver is most prone to getting spoilt easily - the dacs in the 5 and 6 series is the same I think?

I changed my power amp and fronts recently. Have a quad elite stereo amp running quad z4s. The receiver mostly acts as a streamer and DAC. Movies are once in a while. But i do want to solve the center channel issue. Maybe its a mono power amp and a better center speaker. But want to be sure that what I buy works well.
In my experience the receiver is most prone to getting spoilt easily - the dacs in the 5 and 6 series is the same I think?

I think there is a difference in 5xxx and 6xxx series. IMHO I did hear that difference, possibly the DAC is different/better.
Why not try a different center speaker? The Center Speaker & Subwoofer are the heart of any HT setup for a good experience, maybe you should consider changing. Before changing, if you can borrow someone's center speaker or if a known dealer allows home demo (which is very rare) you will definitely know the difference. Since you are based in Mumbai, you can visit Lamington Road for a small power amp for the existing center.

Right now the AVRs are crazy expensive and if one does not really need all the features loaded in the latest models, it makes sense checking the pre owned market where you can get good high models of avrs for reasonable prices.

I think there is a difference in 5xxx and 6xxx series. IMHO I did hear that difference, possibly the DAC is different/better.
Why not try a different center speaker? The Center Speaker & Subwoofer are the heart of any HT setup for a good experience, maybe you should consider changing. Before changing, if you can borrow someone's center speaker or if a known dealer allows home demo (which is very rare) you will definitely know the difference. Since you are based in Mumbai, you can visit Lamington Road for a small power amp for the existing center.

Right now the AVRs are crazy expensive and if one does not really need all the features loaded in the latest models, it makes sense checking the pre owned market where you can get good high models of avrs for reasonable prices.
Fully agree on Center and Sub. Actually the sub upgrade I feel is higher priority for me. I have an old Jamo Sub300. Contemplating the Rel T9/X or the S/510...the S series is a lot more expensive - is it worth saving up for...

Fully agree on Center and Sub. Actually the sub upgrade I feel is higher priority for me. I have an old Jamo Sub300. Contemplating the Rel T9/X or the S/510...the S series is a lot more expensive - is it worth saving up for...
Yes its better to get a nice sub and save up if buying a new. I am using a SVS SB1000 which comes with 5 years unconditional warranty. Huge difference to the subs I owned before. You will find a detailed review under my many posts.

There are some good pre owned ones over olx. Maybe you may want to consider these. Again depending on how large is the room, you may consider the size as required. I use aa 12 inch so I get good deep punchy bass even at low volumes. Definitive Technology and Yamaha is able to achieve this too.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back