Help! Budget AVR - Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer/Onkyo?

Hi Guys,

I am appearing once again seeking help.

Not sure whether I will go for it immediately or not but the question came to my mind.
What will be good matching speakers for Yamaha 371? Around 20K and should touch 40Hz.

Is sonodyne sonus 306A a good match for Yamaha AVR 371? I am using it but getting the sound bit bright, mids and vocal is not warm ... controlling the tone, Bass to +2dB and Treble to -2dB somewhat making the sound good. :(

Hi Guys,

I am appearing once again seeking help.

Not sure whether I will go for it immediately or not but the question came to my mind.
What will be good matching speakers for Yamaha 371? Around 20K and should touch 40Hz.

Is sonodyne sonus 306A a good match for Yamaha AVR 371? I am using it but getting the sound bit bright, mids and vocal is not warm ... controlling the tone, Bass to +2dB and Treble to -2dB somewhat making the sound good. :(

Hi Koushik, Congrats ! and Welcome to the Yamaha Club. I also own a 371 and can surely answer some of your queries, out of experience.

I have paired Yamaha NS8390 with 371 and I'm very much impressed with the pairing. The review

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/22429-review-yamaha-rx-v371-paired-yamaha-ns-8390-a.html

371 is fairly bright but my pairing sounds reasonably warm, to me. May be its the speakers, which is doing wonders. Tone control will not help to control the brightness of vocals. I personally consider them to be useless ( I mean the tone controls only). They focus on a different frequency range and turnaround compared to what you are looking for. Use the speaker level graphic equilizer. Set-up>Speaker Set-up>Equilizer> Equi - GEN (on) > Channel Front L or R> increase 300hz to 800 hz and decrease 2500 hz to 16000 hz. You may want to reduce 2500hz as much as you like, cos these are responsible for shrill sound in movies / music. I personally feel, using YPAO, the parametric equiliser works wonders controlling every disturbance with room accoustics. But I like to use graphic equiliser, which suits my preference.

Can't comment on the sonus & 371 pairing but from the specs, it seems they dont go that low (what you expect) also they are less sensitive.

Thanks pupupuchi :)

What is the frequency range of Yamaha 8390? and cost?

One more thing, how to get the analog o/p from Yamaha AVR? I wanted to connect DVD player(coax) --> Yamaha AVR (AV3)--> Integrated Amp (via analog o/p) --> FS speakers

But the Yamaha AVR seems to not putting out any analog o/p? How to get that?

- For 8390 - its 35hz to I guess 16khz. But usable low range is way below till 30 hz. I have tested it. @ Re 13k.
- I assume you mean, DVD Player are source > use the DAC of AVR (these Burr Brown DACs are truely awesome!) > your SIA 102R as stereo amp > FS for an eternal music. An indirect answer, page 6 of manual (APAC non China), English :) Clue...'marked grey'.

Congrats on your series of purchases! :) Do write a review on the centre surround package and its pairing with 371. I'm looking for a good Centre and so so surround.

Actually that's true for me as well ... not fan of 5.1 sound ... but good to have one happening technology at home. So, when got a branded center+surround under 6K ... didn't give much of a thought at all. Performing good actually ... blending well with my sonodyne FS, a bit bright though (good for movies)

And about series of purchase, yes a big list within 2 months :)
Coopa HD player, LCD, AVR and now center surround ... need a breather for some time now :D

Sorry Santy it was late, as I already went to buy V371 in the afternoon. And thank God, else it would have been yet another time I step back after deciding.
My wife almost started believing(much of her delight) that I will not buy yet another piece of electronics (read AVR) for music :D . In the last 2 months there were many a times that I was almost certain that I will buy it today, went to showroom, and came back empty hand. Somehow, didn't make my mind.

Okay, so the damage has been done. I got it for 21K. And it has YPAO. I asked them about the feature difference between 471 and 371, they said USB and GUI and power/ch. I was ready to compromise the GUI through HDMI and USB is only for apple product which I don't need.

Musically, I listened to both of them using the same source and speakers. They are similar sounding. Didn't notice any difference over short listening span of 2-3 songs.

I am afraid if the USB-in of RX-V471 is for i-pod only. In the manual it says, we can connect USB storage device to play MP3, WAV and other audio formats.

Can some one confirm please?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back