Help choose from Marantz amplifiers

SwaroopKS

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a Marantz integrated amp. I have an option available to buy an used PM8003 or less used PM6005 or new PM5005 roughly at the same cost.

I have heard Marantz avr but not the integrated amps and do not know the sonic differences of these new and old models. There is slight chance to do an AB comparison due to diff locations of these amps. Please advise.

Thanks
Satya

@Satya

IAs are built for music and AVR for movies and music. IAs typically have better grade components and a bit of "love" goes into the design as the parameters to handle are limited. AVRs these days are like kitchen sinks; expect compromises here and there.

PM6005 and PM5005 are similarly spec'd
PM6005 has digital inputs (in today's world I feel it is needed)
PM8003 is a step up in terms of output wattage 70Wpc vs 45/40Wpc

PM8003: If you need a system that is pure analog with pre-out; you can add a DAC to the chain later
PM6005: If you need digital inputs right away but willing to compromise on a wee bit of power

What speakers are you pairing these with? Speakers specs are an important consideration.

I own Marantz PM7001 (IA) and Marantz NR1605 (AVR). Both do their job very well.
7001 build quality is excellent; 1605 build quality is average. I personally don't like the plastic look and feel of NR1605.

Cheers,
Raghu

I have PM8003. Its a very solidly built amp with lots of power. Its rated 70wpc but it seems a very conservative rating to me. Rarely I have to turn the knob past 10AM to get good amount of volume for music. I have also used it for movies and its good for me as I dont watch lots of movies and dont care for 5.1 sound. It also has a phono in jack for connecting Turntables and preamp out for connecting subs. If the digital inputs are not very important, PM8003 will turn out to be better than lower spec models, and it will be better built.

I second "firearm12's" observation. My 7 year old PM7001 is also rated 70Wpc but it is hard to believe it is only 70Wpc.
Comes back to the question on speakers. If your speakers are 86db and above then Marantz will drive it effortlessly.

PM8003's 70Wpc plus pre-out for Sub or outboard amps is a nice value proposition. DAC can always be added to this setup.

My chain
Laptop or Onkyo CDP or Asus Media player --> Schiit Modi-2-Uber -->
PM7001 --> Outlaw M2000 x 2 --> BW DM303 (this is my set up now)

CDP --> PM7001 --> DM303 (this I used chain for 4 years before additions to the chain)
Absolutely beautiful for music.

Cheers,
Raghu

Instead of getting confused with model you can answer few basic questions:
1) What is your primary purpose? (If music go for integrated if movies go AVR)
2) If I were you :) I would invest in dedicate components (example: amplifier, DAC seperate) instead of an one box does it all. Following are advantages:
a) dedicated components give flexibility of upgrading them indipendantly
b) you can choose well made components or invest as per how important that component is for you instead of paying upfront for it.

3) The speakers you are pairing is important for this decision too.

Also going pre-owned is not a bad option at all especially if it is owned by some reputable forum members who take good care of their equipment. Usually very rarely I have seen folks facing issue with pre-owned equipment especially new age ones. Vintage gear is an different ball game all together however due to various factors.

Best luck!

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I have almost made up my mind to go with PM8003. But as suggested first i shall decide on the speakers and then inalise.

Also based on what is said, am thinking of two set-ups for music (stereo) and one for HT (5.1). I do watch lot of movies and also listen to music a lot. Realized that my requirement of both is different and so dont want to merge both into one setup. It may stretch my budget, so shall build it slowly and try for obtaining used gear if available.

Thanks
Satya

Also I am somewhat overwhelmed with the care/time taken to give such detailed yet simple explanation provided for me to understand. Thanks a lot for your replies!!! :)

You are welcome to ask questions or opinions. HFV FMs have lots of patience and passion for dissemination of information.

Good call on PM8003. You can acquire the AMP and then go shopping for speakers.
This way you can carry your amp for speaker audition at dealer or home (if possible).
DAC can always be added. Like you many of us have separated music and movies setup.

Take it slow and acquire components as per your requirement and budget.

Cheers,
Raghu

PM8003 also has a poweramp input which enables it to be used as poweramp only. So in future if you want to use speakers that are attached to PM8003 as your front L/R speakers for avr, you can connect avr preout L/R to PM8003 poweramp input. This way you dont have to use separate speakers for front L/R for your avr. But you need to select avr that has preout terminals for this to work.

Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions. Just got the amp, the seller was way too generous for the price i got it. Thrilled with the purchase!!! :yahoo:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back