Help me choose my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR608, Denon AVR-1911...)

ShaQ.Blogs

heyy guys...I am trying to build my first system. I read a few posts and it immediately caught my attention that there are reliable suggestions & advice here. I have been searching around quite a bit since am a newbie.
I was hoping someone here could help me choose an appropriate receiver. I would use it mainly for music 50% & movies 50% (HiDef, DVD). I would also like to stream movies & music from the comp.

After some reading I was attracted by,
1. Pioneer VSX-1020-K
2. Onkyo TX-SR608
3. Onkyo TX-NR708 (More expensive than 1, 2, 4)
4. Denon AVR-1911
5. Yamaha RX-V667 (Seemed More expensive than 1, 2, 4)

I would like it to have HiDef scaling, 3D support, prefer 7 channel vs 5 channel. I would like to have better sound quality over power (would not mind sacrificing this a bit). My room is around 12x12 ft & I live in Bangalore.

Tips & suggestions are most welcome, since this is my first time It would really help to get advice from you guys who really know this stuff.

Do let me know if you need more info, i'd gladly provide the same.

Last edited:
heyy guys...I am trying to build my first system. I read a few posts and it immediately caught my attention that there are reliable suggestions & advice here. I have been searching around quite a bit since am a newbie.
I was hoping someone here could help me choose an appropriate receiver. I would use it mainly for music 50% & movies 50% (HiDef, DVD). I would also like to stream movies & music from the comp.

After some reading I was attracted by,
1. Pioneer VSX-1020-K
2. Onkyo TX-SR608
3. Onkyo TX-NR708 (More expensive than 1, 2, 4)
4. Denon AVR-1911
5. Yamaha RX-V667 (Seemed More expensive than 1, 2, 4)

I would like it to have HiDef scaling, 3D support, prefer 7 channel vs 5 channel. I would like to have better sound quality over power (would not mind sacrificing this a bit). My room is around 12x12 ft & I live in Bangalore.

Tips & suggestions are most welcome, since this is my first time It would really help to get advice from you guys who really know this stuff.

Do let me know if you need more info, i'd gladly provide the same.

There are plenty of threads...

I recommend u join the discussion there...

Wish u a pleasant stay...

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/12809-yamaha-rx-v667.html

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...5586-pioneer-1020-denon-1911-onkyo-608-a.html

search for more...

See buddy...plz do understand that without knowing the speakers u are gonna pair with the AVR and the budget u have for the same, it is near impossible to suggest an AVR for u.Each AVR has its sound signature different from the other,so does the speakers.Feature-wise,all the AVRs u have mentioned is a winner one way or the other,and can be recommended but without proper auditioning and associated gear knowledge,there is absolutely no guarantee that u are gonna like the setup u have spent a good fortune on.

Wish u a pleasant stay...

Thx for the quick reply. I sure hope to :yahoo:

See buddy...plz do understand that without knowing the speakers u are gonna pair with the AVR and the budget u have for the same, it is near impossible to suggest an AVR for u.
Hii Imran...Are you suggesting that I settle on speakers first? I have not decided on my speakers yet. I have read a many good reviews on paradigm Cinema CT100, otherwise I need to research still.

As for my total budget (speakers, cables, receiver), I have set it around 60K to max of 100K (Would prefer lower around 75K, but willing to strech). Have saved for quite a while for this. :licklips:

I have been having trouble with prices in India. There seems to be vast difference in prices from amazon US to denon india, yamaha india, ect (twice the price). Plus a few shops I called like ProFX.
Am trying to find some reliable sellers where I can get for a reasonable price & with warranty. Any suggestions? Where to buy it from, demos, ect? I live in Bangalore, don't mind travelling to another place in south to buy, prefer to audition in Bangalore.

Last edited:
See buddy...plz do understand that without knowing the speakers u are gonna pair with the AVR and the budget u have for the same, it is near impossible to suggest an AVR for u.
Hii Imran...Are you suggesting that I settle on speakers first? I have not decided on my speakers yet. I have read a many good reviews on paradigm Cinema CT100, otherwise I need to research still.

As for my total budget (speakers, cables, receiver), I have set it around 60K to max of 100K (Would prefer lower around 75K, but willing to strech). Have saved for quite a while for this. :licklips:

I have been having trouble with prices in India. There seems to be vast difference in prices from amazon US to denon india, yamaha india, ect (twice the price). Plus a few shops I called like ProFX.
Am trying to find some reliable sellers where I can get for a reasonable price & with warranty. Any suggestions? Where to buy it from, demos, ect? I live in Bangalore, don't mind travelling to another place in south to buy, prefer to audition in Bangalore.

Do not create multiple threads for the same topic/question. You already have this thread running. I have deleted the other thread.

Cheers

First of all, u should audition a few setups without any sort of expectations and letting ur ears be the judge.Almost all AVRs u have mentioned are great ones and lie in the near 40k price range,with B&W.but their sounds are different form one another.

For eg; The Onkyos are usually considered a movie-oriented with slightly bright/thick sound and great surround steering...but as such, won't pair very well with forward/bright speakers.On the other hand, Yamaha and Denon are slightly on the warmer side of the sound spectrum,so they can be paired with somewhat sllliiightly bright speakers and would go well with other speakers as well.These are generally considered better for music performance to Onkyos,but its upto u to decide as ur findings maybe entirely different.Thats why i am stressing on the importance of the auditioning process to make sure u get the most out of the hard earned money.

As a general rule of thumb, its adviced to spend more on the speakers and then find an AVR that suits those speakers and in the budget.

one thing to consider is pre-outs in the receiver, at least for front two channels. This would allow you to have a separate stereo amp, without needing to change cables etc.

one thing to consider is pre-outs in the receiver, at least for front two channels. This would allow you to have a separate stereo amp, without needing to change cables etc.

How is this possible with same speakers?
ie.If we get 667 with preouts,so one will connect preout to stereo amp & that will get connected to speakers.Then what abt mov viewing?
How to get front ch sound amplified with AVR?
In that case will stereo amp only amplify fronts(5.1)?
How can we match soundQ of fronts with centre due to different amps?

In short we may need a switch at some stage.:rolleyes:

How is this possible with same speakers?
ie.If we get 667 with preouts,so one will connect preout to stereo amp & that will get connected to speakers.Then what abt mov viewing?
How to get front ch sound amplified with AVR?
In that case will stereo amp only amplify fronts(5.1)?
How can we match soundQ of fronts with centre due to different amps?

In short we may need a switch at some stage.:rolleyes:

Tat can be easily done...The stereo 2ch amp will power d fronts and d rest will be powered by the 667 itself...
And PRE-outs means the volume will be controlled from d AVR remote//Unit itself... increase in AVR volume knob will raise d volume from d fronts driven by the 2 ch amp also...no need of calibration again and again....

chek dis thread for more details
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/15841-5-1-avr-2-1-2ch-amp-setup-possible-effective.html

....Hope it helps... :)

Yes,but as asked earlier,there will be difference in amplification & for serious movie experience,Fronts & Centre should be powered by same amp,even wattage.
In this option fronts will be powered by stereoamp & centre by AVR.
That can make difference in effects.

Yes,but as asked earlier,there will be difference in amplification & for serious movie experience,Fronts & Centre should be powered by same amp,even wattage.
In this option fronts will be powered by stereoamp & centre by AVR.
That can make difference in effects.

I don know abt tat... I havent personally seen or tried anythin of tat sort... Read tat thread... some ppl hav tried this type of setup...they wd be d best to answer yr query...

I haven't tried it either....but i would simply get a 5channel power amp and connect via Yamaha pre-outs and enjoy the improved power delivery. :)

I haven't tried it either....but i would simply get a 5channel power amp and connect via Yamaha pre-outs and enjoy the improved power delivery. :)

Thats correct.Preout can be used for better amplification than the AVR,but 5.1.Only stereo preout is better for second system OR zone 2(with 2nd speaker pair).Mixing it with AVR is not ideal 5.1 listening.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back