Help Needed!!! Focus issue with Epson TW 8000

john_k_antony

Hi,

I was just playing around with my new Epson TW 8000 projector before placing it and found out that left side of the image projected is pretty blurry compared to the right side. I did some quick research on the web and found that it could be a defective unit or a firmware issue or lens shift issues.

I had to do both vertical and horizontal lens shift along with zooming. I have kept the projector on a shelf. The projector is placed around 23' from the screen and I am projecting an image of size 142", 16:9 diagonal. The projector is placed around 2' towards the right side from the center of the screen. And I have used vertical and horizontal lens shift to place the image on the screen area.

It would be great If any one has experienced similar issue and found a solution for it.

Thanks,
John.

if it is just bought immidiatly contact the place you bought it and report it

Unfortunately, it was bought a while back and was not opened for a while :(. I bought it in a group buy and my house construction got delayed for a long time. So I just turned it on to check if it was working soon after I got it and didn't notice the focus issue as I was projecting on a wall and used it for a short while. Now when I tried it for a longer time before installing in my new house, I started noticing it. The issue is not very visible with Blu Rays though. The issue is visible with the test pattern and DVDs.

I will talk to EPSON customer support tomorrow though.

-John.

Unfortunately, it was bought a while back and was not opened for a while :(. I bought it in a group buy and my house construction got delayed for a long time. So I just turned it on to check if it was working soon after I got it and didn't notice the focus issue as I was projecting on a wall and used it for a short while. Now when I tried it for a longer time before installing in my new house, I started noticing it. The issue is not very visible with Blu Rays though. The issue is visible with the test pattern and DVDs.

I will talk to EPSON customer support tomorrow though.

-John.

John - Did you call EPSON support? Is the issue resolved?

Have you tried without lens shift adjustment. Just placing center point to the screen.
Have you checked with closer distance? It may help you to get some conclusions on the issue.

The same issue happens with projector placed 15' from screen and 24' away from screen. I tried projecting from the center of the screen horizontally, but used vertical lens shift as the PJ was placed on a table top. The issue was present.

One more thing I noticed is that when I display the test pattern, on the left side where there is focus issue, I see red color bleeding from the white line of the test pattern. On the right side, the white like is proper. The real test pattern is white colored rectangle on a blue background. How ever this is not noticeable from 15' on-wards. The red color bleeding is visible when you go very close to the screen, say from 10' away from screen.

I think there is an over all focus issue with the PJ I have. However the issue is not evident when I watch HD content from my viewing distance of 20'. The issue is more prominent with SD contents like DVDs and SD channels from DTH. I still didn't get time to contact EPSON yet as I was very busy with the home theater interior and acoustic work. I might get some time tomorrow and will call them up. I am not very confident about the EPSON India customer support. I don't think they will have smart engineers who can trouble shoot the issue!. I will try it though :).

-John.

It looks panel alignment (RGB) issue. I am not sure your PJ has the provision to manually zone wise alignment capablity. Check the manual for any manual panel alignment.
You can trouble shooot yourself than the customer service executives.

It looks panel alignment (RGB) issue. I am not sure your PJ has the provision to manually zone wise alignment capablity. Check the manual for any manual panel alignment.

Thank you very much Swamy. I think there is an option to align the LCD panel and I will try that over the weekend. Right now the interior work is going on and I have removed the PJ from the room. Will install the PJ this weekend and will try the LCD panel adjustment.

Thanks,
John.

John, Can you post screenshots of the problem?
I also have slight focus variance and alignment problem in my Epson TW8000 but its not noticeable while playing videos. AFAIK, its a common problem with 3LCD projectors and not worth going for replacements/repairs.
BTW, you should know that usage of panel alignment feature in TW8000 may result in softening of overall picture. The reason being, no actual physical movement of panels happens while making the adjustment. So don't go for it unless alignment is seriously disturbed.

The problem is with the placement. If the projector is placed correctly at the center from top and bottom/ left and right, there wont be any such issue. It occurs because of using lens shift(keystone) correction.

Lens Shift and Keystone are two different things. Keystone definitely changes picture resolution. Lens shift does not do this, its just physical optics at work. That said, people have sometimes reported "flaring" or "diffusion" because of usage of Lens shift.

Problem Solved :clapping:

A million thanks to Swamy in recommending the panel alignment. I was also lucky to have the latest firmware on Epson TW8000 that had the panel alignment feature enabled. It was very easy to fix using the inbuilt panel alignment option.

Thanks Swamy.. you saved my day :).

I don't think the issue has anything to do with lens shift. After doing the panel alignment, I am still using the lens shift and there are absolutely no issues :).

Thanks,
John.

John,

Great relief for people like me who are also owners of TW8100!!

Thanks for sharing your problem.It will help us in future.

It struck to me few days back when you had first posted that I had also seen this option somewhere and desperatly searched some ten times each and every page of the manual but could find but was dead sure I had seen this option.

Now I had again opened my Epson proj box and I located a solitary sheet provided seperately in the box about this feature. I am attaching the same for help of other members. Sorry for the poor quality of the page. I will try to send to persons interested to ahve a clear copy.

Enjoy your movies.:yahoo:

Last edited:
Hi rdksrk2013,

Thank you very much for sharing that instruction sheet. I didn't find that in my PJ box. I have the older model TW8000, but fortunately for me, the option was enabled in the firmware.

-John.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back