Help Needed for Turntable selection

dheerajin

Dear Experts,

I want to Venture into Vinyl world and currently I am in Belgium for some work.
I was just going through the second hand product's website which is given below and thought of purchasing TT. So please tell me which TT to choose as a bang for a buck. Budget is not a constraint. Site is in dutch language, if you are using google chrome browser then anywhere on the page right click and choose option translate to english.
http://www.2dehands.be/audio-video-tv/audio-apparatuur/platenspeler/?offset=0
Thanks

Dheeraj

Hi Bro,
Looks like they are new items not second hand. Technics sl 1200 is any day good but I can't see vintage items here. Netherlands has some good second hand market.
Best regards
Navin
Dear Experts,

I was just going through the second hand product's website which is given below and thought of purchasing TT. So please tell me which TT to choose as a bang for a buck. Budget is not a constraint. Site is in dutch language, if you are using google chrome browser then anywhere on the page right click and choose option translate to english.
Platenspeler - Audio Apparatuur | 2dehands.be
Thanks

Dheeraj

Hi Bro,
Looks like they are new items not second hand. Technics sl 1200 is any day good but I can't see vintage items here. Netherlands has some good second hand market.
Best regards
Navin

Thanks , but it has second hand and new as well. Have you translated the web page? It has vintage players also, change th page to see ..there are many vintage TTs.

cheers
Dheeraj

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the holy grail of vintage TTs - a Technics 1200, seem to be plenty on offer on that website. Choose the right one and since you are there, you could actually see and test the TT before buying it. A few of our stalwarts here will tell you that usually these Europeans will give you close to accurate info as to what shape the TT is in. Mind you the holy grail differs for some others out here and the Garrard 401 is right up there with the a Technics !
Cheers

Dheeraj,

If you are in Brussels, perhaps you can check at the Brussels Flea Market behind the Palais de Justice. This is walking distance from the Grand Place and Manneken Pis ( Pissing Mannequin). The flea market is famous for getting a steal on the vintage and used electronics. But this is open in the morning and only upto 2pm I suppose.

Happy shopping, Kishor

Dheeraj,

If you are in Brussels, perhaps you can check at the Brussels Flea Market behind the Palais de Justice. This is walking distance from the Grand Place and Manneken Pis ( Pissing Mannequin). The flea market is famous for getting a steal on the vintage and used electronics. But this is open in the morning and only upto 2pm I suppose.

Happy shopping, Kishor
Kishore, problem with Flea market is audition, you have to take items as it is..
so its better to stick on the adverts and take home audition. I was just asking about the model which is worth buying.

cheers
Dheeraj

Hi Reubensm,
I am new to the vinyl world, so a model name would help much in buying technics turntable.

Cheers

Dheeraj

Here is the URL.

Take a look under the category "Direct Drive Turntable Systems", look for those under the category "M" (which signifies Manual) or "S" (which signifies semi-automatic). The field name is "Manual=M Semi-Auto=S Full Auto=A Programmable Play=P" which is the 12th column counting from the left.

Vintage Technics Turntables

have a look here also
Tweedehands Platenspelers | Kapaza.be
and
Elektronica, auto's, kleding, verzamelobjecten, cadeaubons en meer | eBay

My recommendation - get a decent TT locally, but expect some minor maintenance. stylus change, belt change, lubrication, alignment... You can get TT's fully serviced, but will cost a bomb.

My experience - Bought a Sansui SR 222 for 20 pounds... Currently fixing it up. Probably will spend another 20-30 pounds on it (stylus, belt, lubrication, dust cover polish) . A serviced and working condition one would cost at least twice that (100+)

I love fixing them up, so I've chosen this route - but if you are not comfortable with this - then your call :)

Last edited:
This site also gives the original prices of these turntables when purchased new back in the day.

Hi Reubensm,

One technics 1200 mk2 i have short listed was used by a DJ. So any turntable which is used in DJing is not recommended for audiophile listening or it can be used?

Please suggest

cheers
dheeraj

check on youtube - there are plenty of buying guides for sl1200's to check for signs of abuse. but you will be looking for things which, if you are not used to it, might be hard to notice.

Dear Experts,

Platenspeler - Audio Apparatuur | 2dehands.be
Thanks

Dheeraj
Did you try Rega's ? I have auditioned almost all Rega TTs they are all great, I quire like the RP6

Considering you are new to the format, I suggest a entry level Rega RP1 Performance Edition or Pro Ject Debut Carbon.

Rega has no service support in India though. Pro Ject do.

The used path may offer better turntables than the one's I've listed but trust me, you don't want to go through any niggles cause that's just gonna make you want to give up the format.

Hi Reubensm,

One technics 1200 mk2 i have short listed was used by a DJ. So any turntable which is used in DJing is not recommended for audiophile listening or it can be used?

Please suggest

cheers
dheeraj

Most of the SL1200s available on ebay in the lower price range are more often than not, DJ pieces. A DJ piece would have taken some level of battering in use and in transport so one has to be a bit careful. As greenhorn suggested, there are many websites giving out info on how to check a 1200. Try one of these. The SL1200 is a turntable masterpiece and is a great fit for normal audiophile listening. However ensure that you don't get one that is worn out due to heavy DJ use.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back