Help on Connecting an External Phono Stage

rohitnaargolkar

Hi,
I have a Rotel Pre ( with inbuilt phono stage ) & Power amp. I want to try an external phono stage instead of the inbuilt one on my pre amp. I would like to know if i should connect the output of the external phono stage to the pre amp or directly to the power amp. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

To put it in a simple way, the primary requirement for a phonostage is for the following:

1) to provide the necessary equalization (as per RIAA standards) for playing records
2) amplify the low output of phono cartridges, to a level required for your regular integrated amplifier's or dedicated pre-amplifier's input

Hence, technically, a phonostage is not a wholesome preamplifier in its truest sense. You will ideally have to run the output of your phonostage to a generic input like CD, Aux, Tape, Tuner, etc on your preamplifier for it to work well. You'd be able to retain gain and tonal control over the source, using regular methods, with you preamplifier.

Your phonostage's output will not be sufficient to drive your poweramp directly. Most poweramps also do not have level controls (not sure if your's has one) and hence that aspect can also pose a challenge. Having said this, I have seen phonostages directly driving poweramps but the secret behind this exceptional method is that these phonostage may have had an in-built buffer as well.

It would be wise to use the traditional method first, run the output to the generic inputs on your preamp and take it from there.

Happy listening!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back