HELP PLEASE! Onkyo HT-S5500 HTIB or Onkyo TX-NR727 AV receiver?

vdt

Hi everyone. How are ya?

My first post here, although I've been reading this forum for a while. So hi. I need your help in deciding on a HT.

Here is a summary of my situation, before I ask for advice on my specific questions:
I recently got a quote of 30k for the HT-S5500 HTIB from Rishabh Electronics in Malakpet, Hyderabad through Justdial request for least price quote. Although it is still listed on the Onkyo India website, Amazon shows it as "Discontinued by manufacturer," but it's still available for purchase. The product has been discontinued in Western (Americas and Europe) markets too. But I still think it's a great deal for a 7.1 HTIB. Then just yesterday, while searching for network AV receivers, I saw ads on OLX for the TX-NR727 AV receiver for 25k and 20k listed across various cities. They claim it's brand new and comes with bill. Again this product is discontinued according to Amazon. That is one crazy bargain for the features the TX-NR727 AV receiver comes with. I've mailed those sellers on OLX for more details and will have the product checked thoroughly at an Onkyo service center before I pay any money, as the price seems too good to be true. I wanted a HT with network features and even though HT-S5500 doesn't have them, I was willing to compromise. So here are my specific questions that I need advice on:

1. How good is the HT-S5500's quality and performance, even though it doesn't have the latest features?

2. In case if the deals on OLX are real (Still feel too good to be true), I'll go for it and given my budget constraints, what are the best 5.1 speakers that I could get for under 20k, if I plan to upgrade to 7.1 and to better speakers in the distant future?

3. This is a loaded one! If I skip both those products, what is the best 7.1 WiFi network receiver with latest features, under 30k (I'll slowly keep adding the speakers again)?

Thanks in advance.
:signthankspin:

Last edited:
Doing good.. Hope you too....:)

30K for Onkyo HTS3300 is a good price.. I hope it is not a demo unit...

I think Onkyo TX NR 727 for 25K is a sweet price... You need to be cautious here... I have come across few FM who have bought Onkyo TX NR 828 for 34K in Dubai recently... They had carried as part of baggage.. Only then you can get for such sweet prices.....It can be refurbished products...

I have spoke to few ppl like this & get information that they either get it from Dubai/Singapore, but def not such low prices...

If you can risk, wait & have friends/relatives who pass by middle east countries, you can get a brand new 7.2 AVR like the Onkyo 828 for 35K....Recently my friend bought 626 for 32K....

If you were to buy in india, you can only afford an entry level AVR for 30K... Forget 7.1, you wont even get HDMI passthrough feature :)

My suggestion is if you want to build a good HT, i think you need to wait for the right time where you can pick the AVR from middle east countries....Only if you don't have any sources, buy it in India....

Thanks elangoas

I hope you meant HTS5500:). I am very suspicious of the 20/25k price for the TX-NR727. So still realistically considering only the HTS5500 7.1 system. But that doesn't have WiFi network features though. I want to be able to stream stuff through the net. One of my friends is in Saudi, so will ask him to enquire. Thanks a million for all the suggestions.

Thanks elangoas

I hope you meant HTS5500:). I am very suspicious of the 20/25k price for the TX-NR727. So still realistically considering only the HTS5500 7.1 system. But that doesn't have WiFi network features though. I want to be able to stream stuff through the net. One of my friends is in Saudi, so will ask him to enquire. Thanks a million for all the suggestions.

Oops Sorry abt the wrong model..:) Yes i meant HTS5500..

Yes, pls check with your friend... Good luck on your hunt & hope you get a very good AVR for your money :thumbsup:

In India, what would you suggest are good VFM 5.1 WiFi network receivers?

Pioneer AVR's.. I think you can get either Pioneer VSX 823 (or) Yamaha RX V 475 for around 35K both wired network.... Wi-fi you can't get at that price in India..

I've mailed those sellers on OLX for more details and will have the product checked thoroughly at an Onkyo service center before I pay any money, as the price seems too good to be true. I wanted a HT with network features and even though HT-S5500 doesn't have them, I was willing to compromise. So here are my specific questions that I need advice on:

Thanks in advance.
:signthankspin:

Bud, welcome.

I would go with the 727, not because I have one. But it is really good! Especially for movies. I never knew Onkyo AVRs sounded so good! Believe me. Coming from years of using a Denon.

OLX buys can be tricky, but you have you bases covered. Check before buying. My guess is these "sellers" want to make an online deal to prospective "buyers" located in other cities. If you are a local or have a friend in the same town, they will be gone before you can say A (VR).

Best of luck!

Bud, welcome.

I would go with the 727, not because I have one. But it is really good! Especially for movies. I never knew Onkyo AVRs sounded so good! Believe me. Coming from years of using a Denon.

OLX buys can be tricky, but you have you bases covered. Check before buying. My guess is these "sellers" want to make an online deal to prospective "buyers" located in other cities. If you are a local or have a friend in the same town, they will be gone before you can say A (VR).

Best of luck!

Thanks. I am indeed very suspicious of the OLX ads. But the 727 is really tempting with all those features. I'm also looking in Hyderabad for better deals. Are there any heating issues with the 727? Also how is the WiFi and how useful or practical is it?

Thanks again.

Thanks. I am indeed very suspicious of the OLX ads. But the 727 is really tempting with all those features. I'm also looking in Hyderabad for better deals. Are there any heating issues with the 727? Also how is the WiFi and how useful or practical is it?

Thanks again.

Can you give the links ? something suspicious here ..

also have you enquired ??

Thanks again.

Well, for me I have not much use of the WiFi, as the HTPC that is connected to it is already connected to the home network. But if your (planned) setup is different where you need the WiFi on the AVR, then I think it is a good feature. The bluetooth feature is good if you want to play media from your smartphone. But again, I think it is more useful in a living room kind of place. Not much use in a dedicate home theater where you have hi-def source like Blu-Ray, HTPC, or a streaming media player hardwired to your AVR.

The Onkyo sound I think it very good for movies. I am a movies guy and do all my music listening on the Fiio X3 and so will highly recommend it for movies.

In fact, if you can get hold of an older Onkyo 818. That is one beast of an AVR. Newer is not always better.

Even I would second John. I bought 727 couple of months back (in Hyd) and am thoroughly enjoying it for movies. The official onkyo india price is way above.. :( of course it comes with india warranty etc.

Also be sure, per onkyo india, they do not service online/ international purchases, if need be.

I did not find any heating issues, what ever.

all the best in your search.

Can you give the links ? something suspicious here ..

also have you enquired ??

Here are the links: New Onkyo TXNR828B 7.2Channel Network A/V Receiver Black - Hubli - TV - Video - Audio

I did enquire and concluded that they are actually trying to scam you! So here is what gave them away:

Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 15:58:12 -0400
To: ***@outlook.com
Subject: 1 year indian warranty Onkyo TXNR727 3D Ready A/V Receiver 7.2 Channel

Hi,
Can you please send me more details about the reason for low price like is it a refurbished or imported etc? Because Onkyo India is providing service only for their products bought in India. Really interested in buying it.
Thanks Dharma

This message is regarding:
1 year indian warranty Onkyo TXNR727 3D Ready A/V Receiver 7.2 Channel - Hubli - TV - Video - Audio

Thank you for using OLX,
The OLX Team
On 7 Jul 2014 10:33, "Rohit Plaza ltd" <****@outlook.com> wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the mail,

We sell brand new sealed :Onkyo TXNR727 3D Ready A/V Receiver 7.2 Channel --------20,000inrs including shipping and import charges.

The product is brand new original from the date purchase in factory original sealed box with india warranty/bill free of charge under warranty

We ensure of speed delivery in 2 working day after confirmation of payment.

We also provide you reciept your order and airway bill/tracking details to enable you monitor your order online.

Delivery Method: FedEx Or Dhl other option are acceptable.

How many units are you buying?

Thanks,

Regards
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to buy just one unit for my home. Which city is your store based in? Saw your ads in many cities on OLX. I would like to buy in person than getting it delivered. Also please tell me about other models of AV receivers, if you have any.
Thanks
Rohit Plaza ltd
Jul 7 (1 day ago)

we make shipping from ENGLAND as we dont have the model available in india, all items would be ship from ENGLAND.

Regards
Mgt

So warn everyone to stay away from such ads!!!!!!!!!

There are many such ads about TV, AVR etc on olx. They are scamsters. they ask you to deposit money first. Sad thing is that there is no way to mark them spam/fraudulent on olx. i hope people are not duped.

ya ... no one in the right mind would sell a tx nr 727 for that price had to be scam or refurbished

Please stay away from OLX ads which lure with dirt cheap prices.

You got 3 choices (my preference are same as the order below):

(1) If your are looking for VFM, go for 5500. Its a steal deal if with B & W. You cant get a proper 5.1 htib for that price forget 7.1

(2)If you are particular about network features and have patience to build it up step by step...buy with B & W in india.

(3)If you are looking for network features and got budget constrains, get it imported by friend or family. Or check ads on olx within the city and pay in person while collecting the product...ofcourse these too probably are imported if offered cheap. But mind you in case of need, Onkyo service center welcome you with a bold letters " NO SERVICE OFFERED FOR IMPORTED OR ONLINE PURCHASES". You can check yourself and confirm this at Onkyo service, behind lal bungalow, ameerpet.

SPEND YOUR MONEY WISE. "If unusually cheap then its a cheat". All the very best.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back