Help Reqd. : DIY Stereo setup for In Car Entertainment

cmsajith

I am planning to replace my current poineer stereo setup with a new one based only on HEADPHONES (To eliminate the soundstage issues in a car setup and to avoid the sound disturbance to others.)

Source : Carputer (Music / Movies) w/ a touch screen
Speakers : 4Nos x Good quality Headphones w/ provision for connecting the headphones for each seats.
Power source 12v car battery

Amplifier : DIY kits (help required)
Other options for amplifier : separate amps for each headphone like FIIO E5 or similar in DIY (will be an expensive option).

Is it possible to make a Headphone amp which can be connected to 4 or 5 headphones (All / One or Two at a time), if possible, w/ different volume controls for each? All the headphone amps I could find are having only one headphone out. Does it make any load to the amp or performance issue if i split the headphone out to 4 or 5? Please advise..

Last edited:
I am planning to replace my current poineer stereo setup with a new one based only on HEADPHONES (To eliminate the soundstage issues in a car setup and to avoid the sound disturbance to others.)

Source : Carputer (Music / Movies) w/ a touch screen
Speakers : 4Nos x Good quality Headphones w/ provision for connecting the headphones for each seats.
Power source 12v car battery

Amplifier : DIY kits (help required)

Is it possible to make a Headphone amp which can be connected to 4 or 5 headphones (All / One or Two at a time), if possible, w/ different volume controls for each? All the headphone amps I could find are having only one headphone out. Does it make any load to the amp or performance issue if i split the headphone out to 4 or 5? Please advise..

Hi Sajith,

I assume that 4-5 headphones exclude the person driving the car?:eek:

to answer the last part first, well it would depend on the headphone amp rated impedance and the headphone impedance. theoretically if your headphone amp is rated in @ 8ohms and you use 4 identical 32ohm headphones in paralell, it should be kosher. but that's theory.. maybe someone has a more practical perspective

here's a thread on a headphone splitter

Multiple headphone splitter - Team-BHP

cheers

Hi Sajith,

I assume that 4-5 headphones exclude the person driving the car?:eek:

cheers

Yes (may not be always, for long trips). Provision doesnt mean it will be used, right? In my current Maruthi Esteem, it may not be possible, but in an SUV / MUV it will be useful. Thats the reason why i had mentioned as "All / One or Two at a time will be connected at a time". :)

Last edited:
Yes (may not be always, for long trips). Provision doesnt mean it will be used, right? In my current Maruthi Esteem, it may not be possible, but in an SUV / MUV it will be useful. Thats the reason i had mentioned that All / One or Two at a time will be connected at a time.

the reason I asked was more from a safety POV. I beleive it's not really safe since it blocks out traffice noise (and horns)

the reason I asked was more from a safety POV. I believe it's not really safe since it blocks out traffice noise (and horns)

Hmmm.. got it.. Thanks for the reminder:)
The driver (me) will be using it occasionally during long drives. Also this is the reason for looking for the option to have separate volume controls for each headphone.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back