Hi

smitra11

Hi all

I just joined this forum a few minutes back and here i am with my first post ever.

I have been thinking of gifting a music system to my wife on her birthday coming up next month and was trying to use the net to research the options available. This is how I came across this site and instantly got hooked on. I always knew i'm a total novice in music but this site just opened my eyes (and ears) to a world which i did not know exist.

Excellent work by all existing members in educating people like me in the nuances of listening to music.

Previously I was just looking at buying a philips/sony mini hifi system and thought they were decent upgrades from my existing cheap creative speakers and a two in one player. I hope you can understand how much of a novice i'm from the preceding sentence.:eek:

I knew that people do build music systems using seperate components but always thought of them as too expensive, too difficult to handle and not much of a difference from one box systems.

After going through this site I'm pretty confused as all my existing beliefs have now gone for a toss.

Would really need all your help in selecting a good system. I'd post my queries in relevant forum for your perusal. Also do treat me as a first standard student in your class and bear me out on my naive queries.

I have no musical background and have no technical knowledge of music. I just listen to what sounds good to my ears irrespective of language/genre/artist. Though I have a bias towards songs than pure instrumental music.

Professionally I'm a Chartered Accountant serving in an consumer goods company in Delhi.

WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR ("SHUBHO NABABORSHO" in Bengali)

Hi all
I have no musical background and have no technical knowledge of music. I just listen to what sounds good to my ears irrespective of language/genre/artist. Though I have a bias towards songs than pure instrumental music.

Welcome aboard!

A lot of learning possible for people like you and me, who have appreciated music, but just due to lack of required exposure never had the opportunity to think beyond Philips / Sony ... equivalent brands who survive on advertising and visibility.

hmmm, quite like me. I prefer instrumentals to vocal, though, not by much.

If you could let us have an idea of what all you have in mind to procure ... just brief .... and what would be your budget like ... that would help for the starters. Else, shall recommend you to go through this site seriously, and then ... the pointed queries.

And .... Shubho Noboborsho to you too.

hi smitra,

considering the music system's for your wife

1. if she has an ipod you get some really lovely ipod docks that have speakers built it. they would look good (pretty to the wife :)) and deliver good sound too without requiring you to buy a full set up just yet. options include monitor audio, b&w zeppelin and a few others. these are at the 25-40k price range. get hold of what-hi fi magazine and it should have listings of these at the back. you'll find other options too like from jbl etc too at the 5k price range onwards...

2. gift her a pair of active speakers like audioengine a2 or a5 available on BAJAAO.COM - India - Buy & Review Musical Instruments in India - BAJAO which only require a source like an mp3 player or a cd player. this again eases you into this hobby. good option if your wife has many cds and not ripped audio on a personal mp3 player like the ipod. psychotropic on the forum has owned these speakers and can tell you more if you contact him by pm.

3. full blown set up of cd player + amplifier + speakers which you'll find plenty of options by searching the forum. honestly though don't know if the wife would appreciate separates!

then again if the wife has a personal player you can gift her some lovely headphones too! or how bout an ipod touch? and then you can buy a decent system for your home later on...

glad to add to your confusion :D

regards

if she has an ipod you get some really lovely ipod docks that have speakers built it. they would look good (pretty to the wife :)) and deliver good sound too without requiring you to buy a full set up just yet. options include monitor audio, b&w zeppelin and a few others. these are at the 25-40k price range. get hold of what-hi fi magazine and it should have listings of these at the back. you'll find other options too like from jbl etc too at the 5k price range onwards...

I had purchased a decent sounding dock named 'Ultravocs' from Torvin aka Power Electronics for 8.5k. After a couple of weeks, a layer got peeled of the remote which when scratched off (like on a scratch card) & behold there is a new name 'Samesay'

A month later, I found the same equipment in an electronics selling shop which is being sold for 4850/-:mad:

But the fact is, it is a nice sounding dock which also plays from SD card, USB and also has FM.

Thanx for the encouragement and for the confusion also :) I have been searching the site like mad since yesterday and also did some searches in the wider net. It seems I've been able to narrow down the choices a little and your guidance has also been valuable in this pursuit. I am now going to post my questions in the what to buy forum for further guidance

I had purchased a decent sounding dock named 'Ultravocs' from Torvin aka Power Electronics for 8.5k. After a couple of weeks, a layer got peeled of the remote which when scratched off (like on a scratch card) & behold there is a new name 'Samesay'

A month later, I found the same equipment in an electronics selling shop which is being sold for 4850/-:mad:

But the fact is, it is a nice sounding dock which also plays from SD card, USB and also has FM.

Hello captain... I wanted to purchase ultravocs from torvin...pricing they gave me was INR 8000/- .. is it worth?? pl advise

One other thing you can consider is Good headphones, headphone amp+ cd player. This will not cost too much but it is great for personal enjoyment without disturbing others.

For a good taste of a high end sound, get an ipod, load it up with lossless files and purchase a B&W Zeppelin or Zeppelin mini.

Try to get the regular zeppelin if you can, linked here:
iPod Speakers Apple iPod Docking Station Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

This is the Zeppelin mini:
Zeppelin Mini - The iPod Dock for Sound Quality - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

With these systems, you don't have to go through any hassle. You get excellent quality sound for the whole family and its plug and play. I was extremely impressed by the sound.

Hi all

I just joined this forum a few minutes back and here i am with my first post ever.

I have been thinking of gifting a music system to my wife on her birthday coming up next month and was trying to use the net to research the options available. This is how I came across this site and instantly got hooked on. I always knew i'm a total novice in music but this site just opened my eyes (and ears) to a world which i did not know exist.

Excellent work by all existing members in educating people like me in the nuances of listening to music.

Previously I was just looking at buying a philips/sony mini hifi system and thought they were decent upgrades from my existing cheap creative speakers and a two in one player. I hope you can understand how much of a novice i'm from the preceding sentence.:eek:

I knew that people do build music systems using seperate components but always thought of them as too expensive, too difficult to handle and not much of a difference from one box systems.

After going through this site I'm pretty confused as all my existing beliefs have now gone for a toss.

Would really need all your help in selecting a good system. I'd post my queries in relevant forum for your perusal. Also do treat me as a first standard student in your class and bear me out on my naive queries.

Professionally I'm a Chartered Accountant serving in an consumer goods company in Delhi.

WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR ("SHUBHO NABABORSHO" in Bengali)

hi -

get your wife a Bose - she will love it - and she will love you!:)

and then she will try to kill you in a few months time because her ears hurt ;)

no - she will not -

shaizada -

firstly - women DO NOT listen to music critically - it remains in the background while she (the woman) attends to the important things - the board meetings, the talk show, the power lunch, hostile offers for a competing company -

secondly - bengalis like the word - "Bose"

therefore posit that Mrs. smitra11 will love "Bose system" for life.

regds

and then at some point she will start wanting to listen to music more intently. At which point fingers will be raised as to why "Bose"? Best to start figuring out an an answer now! hehe

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back