High End Sound

What surprises me is not the content, which I have known for a long time, but that a prominent reviewer admits to the fact!

Hi Viren,

As Dylan sang years ago "The times they are a changin"

Regards
Rajiv

perhaps you mean the milk she offered before the buddha was enlightened? - then that sujatha must be stevieboy because i had milky tea at his home!

Hi Suri,
it was not milk it was payesh ( don't know the english word for it) actually. Paysh is a sweet dish prepared by mixing milk, rice and some other stuff very delicious. It is also called parommano in bengali which means ultimate rice. So the combination of "Payesh" , peepul tree did the trick.
;)

i am guessing payesh is payasam in Kerala/TN?

Hi Suri,
it was not milk it was payesh ( don't know the english word for it) actually. Paysh is a sweet dish prepared by mixing milk, rice and some other stuff very delicious. It is also called parommano in bengali which means ultimate rice. So the combination of "Payesh" , peepul tree did the trick.
;)

Ah, it's nice to see some humour in this fetish of ours!
Music listening should be fun - shouldn't forget that!

As to "life", here's something I wrote some time ago:

"Music making is creative - it's art! It's part drama, since it's enacted by humans in front of you. What sounds emerge are solely through the collective efforts of the musicians there. There is a certain charge, a flow of energy, to this creative effort; which is sometimes reciprocated by the audience. By being present at the event, you participate in it. You live in it!

"This charge is missing when you listen to a recording of the performance. The act of creation is done, the music is laid bare in front of you, the sense of anticipation is gone. Not totally, but substantially diminished. How can a recording come close to the actual performance!

"But, irrational beings that we are, if we can get a sense of that energy, that involvement, in the recording, our stupid brains transport us to the actual event. Vicariously, we participate once again.

"And, it's the job of good audio systems to help take us there."

Regards,
Viren

Hi Suri,
;)

hi mahi, all that you wrote sounds very nice and so i googled it - and read about the great lengths to which sujatha went to prepare the payesh - thanks.:)

Ah, it's nice to see some humour in this fetish of ours!
Music listening should be fun - shouldn't forget that!

As to "life", here's something I wrote some time ago:

"Music making is creative - it's art! It's part drama, since it's enacted by humans in front of you. What sounds emerge are solely through the collective efforts of the musicians there. There is a certain charge, a flow of energy, to this creative effort; which is sometimes reciprocated by the audience. By being present at the event, you participate in it. You live in it!

"This charge is missing when you listen to a recording of the performance. The act of creation is done, the music is laid bare in front of you, the sense of anticipation is gone. Not totally, but substantially diminished. How can a recording come close to the actual performance!

"But, irrational beings that we are, if we can get a sense of that energy, that involvement, in the recording, our stupid brains transport us to the actual event. Vicariously, we participate once again.

"And, it's the job of good audio systems to help take us there."

Regards,
Viren

Perhaps the best post I have read about the distinction between music performed live and music recorded and played back electronically. Bravo, Viren!

Back