Hiss in music

How do you handle hiss in music source

• Remove it using available methods

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Leave it. I prefer the originality

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

matbhuvi

Is hiss is a necessary evil for music recorded in 70s/80s or earlier?...I have seen people going all the ways possible to remove hiss. Some believe, removing hiss is not possible without removing some music. Thereby they believe dynamics is lost. The tape hiss is present in many of my audio CDs.
I prefer to remove the hiss using Audacity. It is not fool proof, but helps to reduce hiss by 40% on many songs.
I like to hear your opinion on hiss and how tackle it or live with it.

whenever you try to take out the hiss, it takes out a chunk of music also.

Yup..true..But, i feel the music is more enjoyable without the hiss..my personal take..Having sensitive speakers may be my pitfall. My car speakers have sensitivity of 93.2db and my IEM has sensitivity of 119db.

I prefer to take out hiss by using noise reduction software like Adobe Audition.......it works quiet well but takes time to adjust the setting.......

cables that are left coiled up like snake gradually develop gain some characteristics of snakes. It could be your cables, or the cables at the time of recording. Try straightening your cables, but I suspect either the cables at recording studio started hissing, or there was an aatma of icchchadhaari naag wandering in those studios. I think it is of the same naag from the movie Naagin - IMDb - Nagin (1976)

cables that are left coiled up like snake gradually develop gain some characteristics of snakes. It could be your cables, or the cables at the time of recording. Try straightening your cables, but I suspect either the cables at recording studio started hissing, or there was an aatma of icchchadhaari naag wandering in those studios. I think it is of the same naag from the movie Naagin - IMDb - Nagin (1976)

One way to resolve it is by reverse hiss. Suck in air in a reverse hiss while the music is playing. Music is retained while hiss is removed.

Om Namah Shivay! Happy Shivratri to all of you.

Looks like you need topic for Shivratri.. Enjoy:p:p

One way to resolve it is by reverse hiss. Suck in air in a reverse hiss while the music is playing. Music is retained while hiss is removed.

Om Namah Shivay! Happy Shivratri to all of you.

Woah...I am completely lost.

Happy Sivaratri!

When I used to a little voiceover work, I'd remove some of the hiss using Goldwave

It would allow you to select a sample of the hiss (say from the start or end of the track) and use that as the base to remove the hiss across the track with control over how aggressive the removal would be. Most times the results were great but sometimes the resulting track would be metallic or tinny. Have had similar results with Audacity but I felt it lacked some of the control that Goldwave gave me...

His-story? Her-story? It's always Her-esy!

With CoolEdit Pro, hiss is hisstory!

I guess it's present-day equivalent, Audition, does much the same thing in much the same way. When previewing the noise-reduction effect, you can select to hear just the noise, instead of the reduction effect. This, you hear exactly what is going to be removed from the track.

@Thad..CoolEdit Pro seems to do pretty well with the hiss. I'll do some long listening to decide whether i like the final output or not.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back