Home Theater for a moviebuff with a limited budget of 99K

this is the response I got for xpa5 shipping to Delhi. On sept 19th. Maybe shipping is lower now given less buyers and lower oil prices. But $ has gone up since then :)

You are looking at roughly $705 for shipping the XPA-5 to your location.

Last edited:
this is the response I got for xpa5 shipping to Delhi. On sept 19th. Maybe shipping is lower now given less buyers and lower oil prices. But $ has gone up since then :)

Thanks Anm!

Emotiva XPA-5 $799
TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK - RETURNING FEB 2009
Emotiva Audio xpa-5-2 5 Channel Audio Power Amplifier

so total cost == 800 + 705 + customs (250?) ~= $1750 ~= Rs. 90K (at Rs. 50/$ rate)

I wouldn't go for it at that price :(
Moreover, their shipping policies mention that in case of return/repair, all costs to be borne by the customer (shipping+customs).

Maybe its time to look into something made in India!

and they are so heavy, airlines won't accept them. I tried to get them through a friend but allowed max limit was 70lbs for continental airlines. And it would be very difficult for anyone to carry it around.

and they are so heavy, airlines won't accept them. I tried to get them through a friend but allowed max limit was 70lbs for continental airlines. And it would be very difficult for anyone to carry it around.

right! unless you get it yourself, it's very difficult to ask someone else (friend or colleague) to get these amps or for that matter even receivers (since they take up a lot of space and weigh around 15-20kg.

The only option left with me now is to buy a 5 channel amp from India. Any suggestions? I will be feeding the sound through an ASUS Xonar D2X through its analogue outs.

Thanks,
Bhaskie

Some of the companies I am aware of that make good to excellent multi channel power amplifiers and who have representation in India are the following:

• Adcom
  • Anthem
  • Arcam
  • Bryston
  • Cambridge Audio
  • Krell
  • Lexicon
  • Linn
  • NAD
  • Parasound
  • Rotel
  • Sunfire

Unfortunately most of them will be expensive.

CA, NAD, Parasound, and maybe Adcom will be less than a lakh.

Cheers

Well, anything closer to the price of the Emotiva in India and yet not Norge?:) Although I dont have anything against Norge as such.

At 30,000 or less, the only product that comes to mind is the Sonodyne. Or else, you guys have to look around for a second hand unit.

Bala, since you are in Chennai, I would suggest you go to Pudupet and listen to Mark's Audiocraft Amplifiers. Given your tastes, and the fact that you are finicky, you may not like them much. But there is no harm is listening to them. You may have to work with Mark to change the connectors, and fine tune the amp to your needs. But your purse will smile a lot. They are really inexpensive. And Mark will give you a lifetime warranty !!

Another thing you can do is to get in touch with Sudhin of Pro Musicals. He may be able to suggest a good amplifier from the large number of companies he represents for professional amplification.

If you like one of these option, maybe Bhaskie can also go the same way.

Cheers

Last edited:
Is there any way to source from China? After all, everything is made in China. We are looking at very high shipping costs as we are thinking of importing from the US.
BTW, I asked Emotiva if it can be shipped directly from China - to which they responded that it is first shipped to the US for quality check and then shipped forward. Double duty, damn!

Sorry I am just catching up now Bhaskie.

The Velodyne CHT 10 is an excellent sub for the pricing and good value for money. It is a bit more forgiving on the placement location. The frequency response curves are reasonbly flat with a sharp drop around 29 Hz which is half decent for HT. You may have to turn up the volume past 50% for effects but there is nothing wrong with such settings. It fills in very well for music requirements and has a sharp response for decent sized rooms. What are your HT room's dimensions and layout?

BTW, don't buy the VRP models since they have significantly less power than the CHT.

absolutely.. thats why i said i would get them only after finalizing the fronts. I have auditioned the Dali center speakers but nothing else till now.

hmm thats a good point. I am getting the sub mainly for movies, since my usage is gonna be a movie a day. For music, I am quite happy with the bass from a Floorstander like Dali Ikon 5/6. Since I listen to a lot of classical, I have been hunting around from FS, but I am totally open for a BS as well (if they sound good with classical). Though I have heard that Usher Be718 is really good with bass as well (being a BS), but unfortunately its out of my range (too expensive at 100K). I have tried out Quad 12L2 without a sub and didnt enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the Dali Ikon 6 without a sub.
I did try the Dali sub (around 35K i think) with the iKon 6 and it rocked the room several times. Dont have much experience with subs though!

What I am looking for in a sub is tight non-localised response. Any idea on Velodyne CHT10 10"?

Thanks!
Bhaskie

At 30,000 or less, the only product that comes to mind is the Sonodyne. Or else, you guys have to look around for a second hand unit.

Bala, since you are in Chennai, I would suggest you go to Pudupet and listen to Mark's Audiocraft Amplifiers. Given your tastes, and the fact that you are finicky, you may not like them much. But there is no harm is listening to them. You may have to work with Mark to change the connectors, and fine tune the amp to your needs. But your purse will smile a lot. They are really inexpensive. And Mark will give you a lifetime warranty !!

Another thing you can do is to get in touch with Sudhin of Pro Musicals. He may be able to suggest a good amplifier from the large number of companies he represents for professional amplification.

If you like one of these option, maybe Bhaskie can also go the same way.

Cheers

Very useful and logical suggestions, Venkat. Let me try these.

Any idea how the Cambridge Audio Azur 840A is? The reviews are quite good but I haven't heard it yet. I should be able to connect the Asus Xonar's analogue outs into its 8 Line level inputs right?

Any idea how the Cambridge Audio Azur 840A is? The reviews are quite good but I haven't heard it yet. I should be able to connect the Asus Xonar's analogue outs into its 8 Line level inputs right?

Bhaskie, the 840A is a stereo (two channel) integrated amplifier. The 8 inputs are from different sources (such as phono, aux, CD, etc), but the amplifier has only stereo outputs. Similarly, the 840W is an amplifier, but again a two channel amplifier. These are not what you are looking for.

Cheers

I use the Xonar with Vista and have no problems whatsoever. Good luck with the amp.

Hey! I am gonna order the Xonar D2X in a day or two, so coupla queries for you! (getting for Rs 8500).

Compared to the Gigabyte GA78GM mobo's S/PDIF out, how much better will the digital out of the Xonar D2X be? Have you ever tested this out with a receiver's digital in?

I get a lot of noise through my present speakers as well as senns headphones (64ohm pro280 sennheiser). Have you experienced the same with the ALC889A mobo's sound?

Will the Xonar ensure bit-perfect digital audio out to my AVR and get rid of the noise as well?

Does the analog outs of the Xonar result in any noise from the speakers? (so that I can plug the RCA cables to the AVR's analogue in).

Thanks,
Bhaskie

Hey! I am gonna order the Xonar D2X in a day or two, so coupla queries for you! (getting for Rs 8500).

Compared to the Gigabyte GA78GM mobo's S/PDIF out, how much better will the digital out of the Xonar D2X be? Have you ever tested this out with a receiver's digital in?

I get a lot of noise through my present speakers as well as senns headphones (64ohm pro280 sennheiser). Have you experienced the same with the ALC889A mobo's sound?

Will the Xonar ensure bit-perfect digital audio out to my AVR and get rid of the noise as well?

Does the analog outs of the Xonar result in any noise from the speakers? (so that I can plug the RCA cables to the AVR's analogue in).

Thanks,
Bhaskie

Bhaskie - I saw one of my quoted messages there with the text saying that I am using Xonar with Vista. I am sorry, that is wrong. I must have been dreaming when I wrote that. Vista is the stuff of bad dreams actually:) I use only Windows XP.

About trying out the mobo's output, no I have not tried that. But I have tried connecting the sound card to the receiver using digital out (coaxial). And I get a far better sound when I use the analogue outs.

I have not tried a headphone at all. I am not a headphone guy, I am afraid.

About noise - no, I dont get any noise regardless of whether I use analogue or digital outs. Also when you say noise, what do you mean? A sibilant hiss when nothing is playing?

About bit perfect audio, yes the Xonar will do that. When you are in 7.1 Channel audio, if you look at your AVR's display it should be able to tell you that you are listening to audio in PCM 96/24 if you are upsampling audio to 96 khz and keeping your audio at 24 bit.

Bhaskie - I saw one of my quoted messages there with the text saying that I am using Xonar with Vista. I am sorry, that is wrong. I must have been dreaming when I wrote that. Vista is the stuff of bad dreams actually:) I use only Windows XP.

About trying out the mobo's output, no I have not tried that. But I have tried connecting the sound card to the receiver using digital out (coaxial). And I get a far better sound when I use the analogue outs.

I have not tried a headphone at all. I am not a headphone guy, I am afraid.

About noise - no, I dont get any noise regardless of whether I use analogue or digital outs. Also when you say noise, what do you mean? A sibilant hiss when nothing is playing?

About bit perfect audio, yes the Xonar will do that. When you are in 7.1 Channel audio, if you look at your AVR's display it should be able to tell you that you are listening to audio in PCM 96/24 if you are upsampling audio to 96 khz and keeping your audio at 24 bit.

thanks! i've never used vista either. only win XP and linux. Since the best feature of this card is analogue outs, I should be using them instead of the coax or digital outs. Then getting a Yamaha 663 AV receiver makes no sense right? Since I won't be using its DAC's but the analogue inputs only. Any suggestions for a 5.1 channel AVR or pre-amp/amp combo which will suit me better?

I have downloaded the manual and it seems it has quite a lot for headphone listening as well. Though once I get a sennheiser hd600, I will probably get one of those beresford dac's or something.

ABout the hissing, yes, I keep getting a noise (hiss) constantly which is very annoying. I can hear it very clearly through the headphones all the time and it is very irritating. I have searched all over for this and have muted all inputs, shut down XP sounds, shut down system bell, and couple of other solutions mentioned in various sites, but the problem doesn't go away :(

thanks! i've never used vista either. only win XP and linux. Since the best feature of this card is analogue outs, I should be using them instead of the coax or digital outs. Then getting a Yamaha 663 AV receiver makes no sense right? Since I won't be using its DAC's but the analogue inputs only. Any suggestions for a 5.1 channel AVR or pre-amp/amp combo which will suit me better?

I have downloaded the manual and it seems it has quite a lot for headphone listening as well. Though once I get a sennheiser hd600, I will probably get one of those beresford dac's or something.

ABout the hissing, yes, I keep getting a noise (hiss) constantly which is very annoying. I can hear it very clearly through the headphones all the time and it is very irritating. I have searched all over for this and have muted all inputs, shut down XP sounds, shut down system bell, and couple of other solutions mentioned in various sites, but the problem doesn't go away :(

As somebody mentioned to me, the best thing is to have a pre and power combo. I dont know if the sound card's output can be directly routed to the Power amplifier. If that can be done, that would be a nice solution. This was one of the reasons why I was looking at the Emotiva amps.

Speaking generally I guess you need an amp which has a strong power amplifier section. What that would be, I have no idea. All I can say is that I am pretty happy with my Marantz receiver.

About the noise, it appears for me when I use the Dolby Digital or DTS modes - but not if I dont use any of them and not if I dont go beyond 65 to 70 percent of volume.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back