Hotrodding your Denon DL 103

jls001

Some steps to hot rod a Denon DL 103 to super stylus performance (from here):

Quote:
Comparisons between the 103 and 103R come down at the end of the day to personal preferences! I have heard both and I personally prefer the 103R but and it is a big BUT :)laugh:) I would be very happy with the 103.

Both in the stock version have flaws and both can be fixed...

Fix number 1

Nude it, by removing the headshell. This is a well established process and provided you exercise due caution is very easily performed.

The result is better extension of the frequency extremes (so more high and low frequency) and a slightly better balanced mid-range as a result.

Fix number 2

Put a wood headshell on, one of Uwe's is a good start, but I understand there are others. Again you will reap sonic benefits - big time! Also note that these headshells add their own flavour to the sound - be warned this is an addictive exercise! :grin:

Fix Number 3

Put a metal headshell on, I have David's Midas, there are others around and again they make a big difference to the sound!

Fix Number 4

Send it to Expert Stylus and get a Ruby Cantilever and Paratrace Stylus...

If you do this one combined with FIX 2 or 3 you are now in the big league (see here for a little more info!

My use of the term big league is deliberate I am referring to the top end of the market where cartridges cost in the $1000s...

Enjoy! I have not done FIX 4, but can recommend any of the others, it turns an humble cheap (relatively) cartridge into a true giant killer!

And some feedback from someone who had done the whole monty:

Don't worry the boogie factor in the music remains - that is the motor, replacing the cantilever will increase compliance and the paratrace will dig deeper for more detail _ expect very refine and extensions throughout the range ! Let's put it this way, its bettered my Transfiguration Temper W and that's no cheap cart.

Disclaimer:
Fix Number 1 to 3 are usually DIY and takes skill and extreme care. Do not attempt if you are unsure of your capabilities.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back