How clean are our main's supply - PS Audio Noise filter

rikhav

conditioners are designed only to keep the supply in shape and size.

I dont know how any designer can design a conditioner for audio applications

please correct me if i am mistaken

thats the reason why sources repond better than amps to usage of a power conditioner ?

for example - naim does not recommend ( i understand ) any power supply filter or EMI or RF filter to be connected to the amp

regards

on stereophile - there is an article on this..

it goes like this ;-

a. If you have a source that draws 1 Amp for example - a reservoir of 5A from which this source draws 1 A will be appreciated by the source

b. But ( unlike sources ) many amps do not like a power reservoir before them.
They liked to be plugged into the wall outlet ( ofcourse with sufficient current capability )

why this happens is not explainable but audible...

as per the author..

regards
Which "reservoir" do sources like before them that many amplifiers do not?
The PS caps are the reservoir.
Can you post a link to the article?

@mpw sir, conditioners have multiple purposes depending on where they are used. The primary purpose it to isolate the mains supply, DC filtering is an added benefit.

They are also used to prevent shocks in labs that handle open circuits.
Some say you should carry over the earth to the isolation side, while some recommend not to.

Also the amp rating of the isolation transformer matters when you connect equipment down the chain and to ensure that it is not over loaded.

Kannan

All the above are valid

But none is related to the sonic part of how a power conditioner should or should not behave.

That is my limited point

Regards

Here is a video from PS audio's YouTube channel.
What i don't get it he installs power plant, has dedicated 20A circuit. But in the end, plugs that Noise harvester and claims improvement. So a 2.5 lac rupees power plant cannot fix his power line noise, but the harvester did? Really?

Guys, gave a critical listening with the PS Audio today. After various permutations, I realized my system is happier without the PS.
With isolation transformer in the chain, all mains DC noise is anyways filtered.

My problem though lies with the 30 amp SMPS I use to power my 12 volt amplifier.

So I now have it before the isolation transformer.

With the PS in the chain in my setup, the high are getting more grit and there in complex tracks there is a bit of congestion (subtle but I am able to hear it).

Chennai folks who want to try for themselves can borrow mine and post their experience

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back