How do you describe this hobby of ours???

soulforged

A couple of days ago I was asked what my hobbies were and I struggled to answer the question without sounding lofty or condescending :confused:

"I like to listen to music" doesn't quite describe it...
"I like to listen to music that is accurately reproduced using well-recorded media played over precision equipment" would sound like I've decended from heaven....

How do you describe the hobby of an audiophile???

Like any other serious hobby, it it makes substantial dents in our time, family space and money. It annoys the spouse and our friends/relations think we are lunatics of the highest order.
Although I have a very modest setup, I still try to hide the cost from all comers because I dont like the looks they give me on the rare occasions when they find out. I can imagine the plight of those who have a really high end rig.
But when the gear is switched on ... oh the bliss .... it all seems worth it again !!!!

Love music, however I like to hear it accurately reproduced at home ! It should sound like the performers have come home (in the room).

My Dad says I am a stupid wasting my time in this Box ( speakers ) , My friends says i am a lunatic . I myself have this doubt , Are we lunatics???????? :sad:

A couple of days ago I was asked what my hobbies were and I struggled to answer the question without sounding lofty or condescending :confused:

"I like to listen to music that is accurately reproduced using well-recorded media played over precision equipment" would sound like I've decended from heaven....

How about this - "I have a penchant for listening to high quality music/ recordings played in a hi fidelity music system"

or

"I am a discerning music lover with an ear for detail"

regards

Arvind

I like music - done well.

Or well done, as opposed to rare :)

Last edited:

THUS - " my hobby is a simple and interesting one - i like to spend my spare time locating and listening to music on systems that are much much better than Bose"

this should get me immediate attention - and i would not sound condescending saying that!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back