How do you open a COSMIC speaker? It has a cloth/grille in the front and the rear is sealed.

veekm

It's not working so I need to open it and take a look inside to see what's wrong. I tried raising the cloth-grille but it has no obvious way to open. The rear is sealed.

Most grills are pressure fitted so a metal spudger at the seam and gentle pressure should do the trick.

Why don't show a photo or more of the grille. Cosmic made many many models so a photo might help forum members advise you better based on the model? and more details

Also, this is in the wrong section. Unless it is a Cosmic active speaker. in any case refer the point above. As a newbie, might make sense to read the rules of the forum as well.

best wishes

thank you. ouch! I just checked and my speaker is 'passive' since the amp is external to the case (apologies for the sanfu - I thought "active" meant being played/posh [it doesn't make much sense now that I think about it]). I shan't make things worse by posting further here. (I'm new here and to audio)

[got it open - many thanks - yellow cones - will upload the pic in some other thread for completeness - it's got plastic prongs on the sides that fit into round holes and a screwdriver-lever to the top popped it out with a few squeaks]

Poor build quality like the amp - rusty cheap wood screws and some kind of rosewood-laminate-veneer+plywood. Why the heck is it so heavy?

Last edited:
So I have some variety of COSMIC brand DEAD speakers. I popped the front grill off and removed the screws but how do I pop out the driver? (note the rusty screws and plywood - I'm very curious as to why the speakers weigh such a lot?) Also need to check the driver coil - so how do I access the driver. Who owned the COSMIC brand?

rshuCpM.png
cYqJy93.png
n8VewCO.png
MYtxqTL.png
0cJew1e.png

(just for completeness - I've linked to images and my Q. Also posted some details on COSMIC and its owner - you may find it amusing reading)

S I'm very curious as to why the speakers weigh such a lot?) Also need to check the driver coil - so how do I access the driver.
Heavy speaker cabinets somewhat dampens the vibrations transfered from the speaker drivers to the cabinet. You can check speakers by 9V battery by just connecting one terminal of it to one speaker wire and another speaker wire by just flicking it very fast to make temporary microsecond contact and see if speaker makes pop sound. Keep your ear close to the speaker driver under test.
Regards.

I tried measuring resistance with multimeter - it showed nothing so I want access to the driver terminals.. COSMIC is a crappy brand therefore the wires may be faulty.

Heavy speaker cabinets somewhat dampens the vibrations transfered from the speaker drivers to the cabinet. You can check speakers by 9V battery by just connecting one terminal of it to one speaker wire and another speaker wire by just flicking it very fast to make temporary microsecond contact and see if speaker makes pop sound. Keep your ear close to the speaker driver under test.
Regards.
nope not a wire problem speaker looks to be dead - there are two inductor coils and a capacitor and a green-something soldered in a lump - what's that? 8ohm 50W 4" 10bt2 and 5ohm 10"

Any idea how much a 10" driver will cost?

I doubt if testing with multimeter at crossover will show any thing. I have no idea how much 10" driver cost.
Regards

I doubt if testing with multimeter at crossover will show any thing. I have no idea how much 10" driver cost.
Regards
ah - nope tested it at the spkr terminals. Should I use Fevicol to glue back the speaker (I just pried it out with a screwdriver - took a thin sliver of wood as it came out) What's the glue to use to bond metal to plywood? Any finishing steps needed - solvent for removing the old glue?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back