How much storage do you guys have for remux collection?

gururaj026

Into the future I can see myself having a HTPC/Media server for content consumption rather than many OTT subscriptions. The problem with OTT is that their streaming quality is not the best and our favourite content may not be available one day without any notice. With this in mind I have started collecting remuxes of movies I like off the internet. The idea is to have a fair amount of movies/shows in my possession as I keep improving my setup. Each 4k movie is about 50-70 gb in size. My question is if someone here is already doing this then how much of a storage do you have? Is it viable to have 10 or a 20 TB storage in a HTPC and stream it with Plex or Jellyfin without any issues?

Interested to know your inputs.

Thanks

I am in the process of building a setup for this exact purpose.

Currently running a Plex Server on Shield TV Pro connected to a 4TB usb external harddisk

The plan is to have a have a NAS storage on RAID 5 with 20TB of storage. Reason for going to a NAS is because it can act as a central storage for everyone in the house to back up data from mobiles and laptops.

The Plex Server on the Shield TV can connect to the NAS to stream movies. Eventually move away from Plex and get a dedicated media player like zidoo.

I am in the process of building a setup for this exact purpose.

Currently running a Plex Server on Shield TV Pro connected to a 4TB usb external harddisk

The plan is to have a have a NAS storage on RAID 5 with 20TB of storage. Reason for going to a NAS is because it can act as a central storage for everyone in the house to back up data from mobiles and laptops.

The Plex Server on the Shield TV can connect to the NAS to stream movies. Eventually move away from Plex and get a dedicated media player like zidoo.
That is great! I also looked up NAS but it seemed more complicated and I have no idea about its power consumption and heat issues. Also, Plex is now pushing their subscription plans too much. The other day I set up Plex and when I tried to watch it with my iPad they had a one minute cap. I can watch the whole content only if I subscribe for one of their plans. So I jumped to JellyFin.

Last edited:
Instead of hardware based raid ( which will lock you with specific vendor or hardware ).
I suggest you to look in software raids, there are many options (Snapraid, Unraid, ZFS etc...).
I have been using ZFS since last 5 years for Network storage.

Oh wow, I'm learning so many new things about file storage and networks, this is like a whole new branch of a rabbit hole in this hobby.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back