How to decode DTS-HD : Bluray vs file based approach

sumit_4palz

I have a rip version of bluray, when I play it using Plex I dont get DTS-Hd. However when I play the blu ray disc I get DTS-HD surround sound.

Wondering if there is a way to overcome this limitation. I.e. getting original DTS -HD surround when using file based approach.

I have a rip version of bluray, when I play it using Plex I dont get DTS-Hd. However when I play the blu ray disc I get DTS-HD surround sound.

Wondering if there is a way to overcome this limitation. I.e. getting original DTS -HD surround when using file based approach.

How are you playing the rips? Is it via any media player or PC?

I have read somewhere here in HFV that AAC 5.1 is generally not decoded by AVRs - not totally sure and dont remember the source.
I play AAC 5.1 files by potplayer which can convert these audio sources to AC3 5.1 on the fly. (My set up is laptop hdmi -> Denon 1200 AVR).

I have a similar problem, when I use plex to play files from my PC to my plex device, the plex on the device sees the 5.1 AC3 stream but wont play it. when you select the AC3 stream, the AVR still receives PCM stream. Funnily, in plex, while watching, if I reduce the display resultion by one step lower, it will skew the picture by compressing it vertically but will play the AC3 stream in proper 5.1 format. Any ideas?

Edit: for all those wondering whether the file actually has the ac3 5.1 stream, yes it does.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back