How to enahance lamp life

surinder1508

How to enhance lamp life

Guys what are the other things can be done apart from using Eco mode to enhance projector's lamp life.

Last edited:
Here are few things you can do to have a long life of the Projector -

1.When the projector is turned off, the fans will continue to run for a while to cool the lamp. Do not disconnect the power cable from the projector until the fans turn off.Follow the proper shut-down procedure. Lamps produce extreme temperatures during prolonged operation. Suddenly cutting off all power to the projector leaves the lamp extremely hot without proper ventilation. Projectors follow a specific programmed routine when the off button is pushed to allow the ventilation fan to continue to operate until the lamp has cooled. Turning the projector off by removing the power cable or turning off the power strip the unit is attached to will circumvent the proper power-down sequence. Use a UPS specially for Indian conditions so in case of power failure the fan can run for the specified time after the projector is shut down.

2.Avoid using or storing the projector in locations where excessive humidity, dust, or cigarette smoke may contaminate optical components, thus shortening the projectors life span and darkening the image.

3.Use care when transporting or moving the projector. Dropping or bumping the projector may damage the lamp or optical components.

4.Always open the lens shutter or remove the lens cap in advance before the projector lamp is turned on.Avoid operating or storing the projector in any area that will reach an ambient temperature above 35C / 95F.

5.The projector is designed to operate safely within a voltage range between 100 to 240 volts AC, but could fail if power surges of 10 volts or brownouts occur. In areas where the voltage may fluctuate or there are frequent lightening storms, it is recommended that you connect your projector through a power stabilizer, surge protector, or uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

6. If the brightness can be adjusted, use the optimum brightness level.

7. Overheating is the major cause that leads to lamp failures. So switch off the lamps and let it cool when not in use, this will increase the lamp life.Do not run the projector continuous for more than 3 hours.

8.Fans are vital parts that aid cooling, so they need to be cleaned and the dust should be removed from the filters that clog the same.Keep the projector clean. Many projectors have air filters at the intake point for fresh air circulated by the ventilation fan. If not properly maintained, these filters become clogged with dust and dirt, impeding air flow. If your unit doesn't have an air filter, dust and dirt can enter the unit and surround the lamp housing, increasing the operating temperature of the lamp. Clean the unit by spraying compressed air into the ventilation channels to blow out dust and dirt.

9.Use the projector in an area where there is sufficient space available for the heat rejection and venting of heat from the projector.

10.Do not expose the lamp or the projector to direct sunlight which will cause potential damage to the same beyond repair.

11.The best way to enhance the life of these lamps is to operate them in a suitable climate which is neither too hot nor cold.

12. After shutting the projector down, don't restart the same immediately give it a break for at least 30 minutes and then turn it back on. This will reduce the load on the lamp and increase life.

13.Never touch the bulb with your bare fingers. Oils from your skin will remain on the glass surface. When the lamp is used, oil causes an uneven dissipation of the heat from the surface of the glass, resulting in premature fatigue. Touching the lamp during installation or maintenance can actually cause the bulb to explode.

14.Turn the projector off when not in use. This is one of the most practical ways to extend your bulb's life. Leaving a projector on for unnecessary periods of time deducts from the total life of the bulb.

Last edited:
I have been very particular about not shutting power till projector fan does not turn off especially when this takes around 2 minutes and one does not want to wait that long and moreover the temptation to shut the projector quickly is also high because other gadgets like a/c, media player and av receiver can be shut instantly.

In my case there is no question of cigarette smoke because i never allow anything eatable etc in my mini theatre and there is no humidity issue because there are no windows.

I never use the lens cap as there is no dust issue and importantly i use a projector lift, so once the movie is over the projector goes into the false ceiling, it is like a un-born child in mother's womb.

In my case there is no question of lamp over heating because my a/c is just behind the projector, this is one of the reasons why there is no fan in my theatre because at time's you would get tempted not to use the a/c.

I take about 4 hours to finish a english movie which is because in every 30 minutes or so i take a long interval as i have to catch up with various things and needless to say that at these times the projector is off while the av receiver and media player is on and a/c is taken to temperature 28 from 22.

In my case there is no question of lamp being exposed to sunlight as there is no window.

In my other data projector at times i restart within 10 minutes as this projector is of a different technology.

It is true that there will be many of them who do not shut the projector because they could not be planning the things well, in my case when i am watching a movie my cell is on silent and is never in my theatre moreover if i have visitors, i see to it that there mobile is kept in my living room by doing these things what happens is that you can enjoy the movie more and you do not have to stop the movie for a few minutes and this way the bulb wastage is not there.

V.

Last edited:
Do Always run the PJ thro a seperate inverter (probably an APC) as in our country the power cud go at any time. Sudden shutting down of the PJ is bad for bulb

Vinay,

Just happened to see some of your ht photos. It is impressive. It looks like you have spent good amount of time and money on the interiors and the room treatment.

Let me know what was the total cost(excluding lights, A/V equipment, furniture).

Also let me know what kind of insulation you used for sound absorbtion. what did you cover the insulation with.

Thanks
Pandu

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back