How to survive the inevitable CD revival

Random access, skip & program is a boon on CD players which I use to miss on tape decks.

So the only reasons provided for the claimed ‘inevitable’ CD revival is that some artists are releasing albums (instead of singles) and merch sales that CDs entail & enable. Not sure about both being strong enough to propel a ‘revival’ for the format. Here in India our film music is still released as albums, but listeners still prefer to stream it than buy CDs. As for merch sales, it’s at best a supplementary revenue for the music industry. And there’s no reason why Apple/Spotify might not be able to set up merch stores within their streaming apps when they see the demand growing!

As someone who enjoys spinning CD's as a ritual, rather than for SQ reasons. I see no reason to buy CD's if I could get the same quality from a lossless streaming site like tidal or qobuz. So I only buy unobtanium stuff like old era CD's or Sacd's. Yes Sacd's are definitely superior to my ears, and I keep hunting them. CD's.. Not so much

Not sure how much the demand for CD's will increase with the advent of streaming and digital storage on other media. Unless some rare good tracks are on cd.

Not sure how much the demand for CD's will increase with the advent of streaming and digital storage on other media. Unless some rare good tracks are on cd.
I would presume not much. The only reason why I would like to spin a CD or vinyl is to get rid of the tablet, which adds a certain restlessness while listening to music. There is always that next lined up track waiting to be played. So if the whole point of physical media is to listen to an entire album and not a single track, there are not many new releases that would compel me to a listen in entirety. So that in itself forecasts a bleak future ahead for CD's. But vinyl might survive, as its feel and sound just can't be replicated by anything else.

for this to happen you need a critical mass of cd buyers .......with very few number of buyers you will have limited cd's being released and high prices which everybody cannot afford . The best example is vinyl revival . For the prices that vinyl is selling , it can never be a product which masses can buy , those few buyers will also stop shelling out that money after some time .

for this to happen you need a critical mass of cd buyers .......with very few number of buyers you will have limited cd's being released and high prices which everybody cannot afford . The best example is vinyl revival . For the prices that vinyl is selling , it can never be a product which masses can buy , those few buyers will also stop shelling out that money after some time .
Very true, each record costs a lot as they are not manufactured in large numbers. If only they are available at a reasonable price, their sales would really jump in big numbers since a decent turntable is available at an affordable price considering the interest it is raking up. For the masses streaming is the future considering convenience too.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back