HT configuration for my room size

rajen83

Hi,

Greetings to forum members. Recently I bought a Sammy 40C630 LCD. Can't stop loving it. But the problem is there is a huge craving for better audio.

But I am confused with the room dimensions and related issues for setting up a HT. I am attaching the PIC of my house plan. The oval shape is where my LCD is wall mounted.

Picasa Web Albums - Rajendra Dendukuri - Random

Picasa Web Albums - Rajendra Dendukuri - Random

Effective width of the HT space is 11' length and 6.5' width. But as it is visible from the pic, room is a lot big. I fear the sound effect will diffuse to other open parts. But I may be wrong.

My doubt is what kind of setup HT setup is appropriate in such a space.
1. Satellites + SUB
2. FS + SUB + rear satellites
3. FS + satellites

Also I can't move the TV from there to any other place as I think that is the best place for undisturbed viewing.

I am confused and need some advice from the hi-fi gurus out there.

Please let me know if you are not able to access the pic.

Cheers,
Rajen

I am assuming there is door between the TV area and the sit out.

The TV is in a corner of the wall and not suited for HT installation. It will be very difficult to get a very large sound here. In addition, I don't see how you could carry speaker cables to behind the sitting area.

I would suggest a few options:

1. Audition a few Sound Bars from companies such as Sonodyne, Philips, Yamaha etc. If you like the sound, this will be a simple option.

2. Work with a electrician to see if he can carry speakers cables to behind and above the couches. In that case you can set up a 5.1 using Sat/Sub system.

3. Some companies such as LG have sleek floor standing speakers that will look elegant and also provide good sound. You can audition these and see if you like them. These would also need speaker cabling.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat for sharing your thoughts.

The TV is actually wall mounted in the middle of the wall. And yes there is a french window beside the viewing area with glasses of 6ft high. Also I am scared they will crack with large sounds?? Is it that risky, they are 4mm thickness glasses?

I already talked to concerned folks and it seems we can get the cables behind the couch without much issues.

I am not in a hurry to have a complete 5.1 setup. What is the best combination to start with.

Following are the goodies that I already have in my kitty:

1. TATA SKY HD
2. Philips DVP-5982 DVD player with HDMI support
3. Samsung 40C630 which supports ARC
4. Sony PS2

Budget: 30K-35K (Can stetch to 40K only if I can get 5.1)
Requirement: Movies-50%, Music-50%
Music: Soft rock, bollywood, Telugu and Kannada (Mano Murthy type songs!)

Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back