HT setup, Diwali buy

brettie

Hi all,

Long time lurker & First time poster. Living in Chennai. My living room is 25x15.
Been deciding on setting a HT for quite a while now.

@ my disposal: All my cards are full and I am left with a bajaj finserv card of worth around 1 lakh. Going to stick to that budget.

My decision:

AVR:X1100 or X2000 (Which should I go for)
5.1: Energy take classic

Shops which accept Bajaj Finserv card:

I have almost called every other A/V showrooms which I came across in the forums. Most of them do no accept this. Some of them are Decible, Vipul, Audiopeople. I did check with few others too.

Only place where bajaj finserv card can be used is Cressida. I have fixed an appointment with the manager Mr.Ananthu for a demo today.

My queries apart from the AVR choice:

1)Is it a good choice to buy from Cressida?(Or I can import AVR from the US as my friends are frequent travelers)

2)Market price for the AVR & the 5.1

3) Few other options instead of Energy take classic within my overall budget of 1L.

4) Or should i start with a 3.0 (Front & center), then slowly invest in others?

5) My current setup is a Z-5500 which is being run from a creative-Z

Thanks for your time :)

Hey guys,

Went for the demo. Mr.Ravikumar toured me with their products.
They deal with
Elac
Tannoy
Polk

And few others. I got to get a demo of these brands.

I was impressed with tsx 550 + X1100
He gave a suggestion of getting the AVR + the FS to fit my budget.

I need some inputs from you peeps.
I understand it being Monday :)
Thanks!

If they deal with Tannoy, did you get a chance to listen to the Tannoy Mercury V4i floorstabders?
They have won many "Most Value for Money" speaker awards

I am looking for an AVR+FS combo too. I heard TSX 330. Very strong bass with non-existent highs. SQ is passable. I liked Polk RTi A5/A7 much better in Polks.

ProFX Bangalore had a Diwali offer on 5.1 system based on TSX 330 + Pioneer VSX 523 AVR for Rs 85K. You can consider this package.

In my opinion, Pioneer AJ speakers are far ahead of Polks in SQ. 5.1 speaker set was offered at Rs 43K in DNI Home Theatre, Bangalore.

Assuming you are buying it mainly for movies (so you need 5.1) and the fact you said you have options of people getting it for your from the US.

For AVR - US esp. at thanksgiving, you can get some great deals and it maybe easy to carry and will be in the 200-300 USD range. All you will need to budget is a step down transformer.

For speakers, buy locally, as you can listen to them and decide.

For subs, you sometimes get great deals in the US, I would suggest get it from there.

Keep around 20k for AVR, 10-15k for sub, rest for sub and around 5k for cables.
50-60k you would get some neat options. Of which if you are not buying a set, then invest mainly on the front 3. or if you buy a set, invest in a good sub (20k) and buy the speakers in around 40k.

Try the htstore.in if you can buy online.

In my opinion, the Pioneers are muddy and didn't feel like you are buying an exclusive audiophile grade product. It just felt like another mass market system.

TSx330 will best suit as front in a 5.1 system. For the highs your surrounds will get them in multi channel stereo mode. For stereo setup you have to go with Polk 440 or higher.

AVR plus front for now and later adding the others is the right thing to do if you are on a budget.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it, that too on diwali :D wishes to everyone.

Ok, I gave it 2 days to resist my impulse buy mood swings. Now that I am a little relaxed after the impulse buy period, I am going to try & import AVR next month. Possibly, Sub too. He did have tannoy Merc series. I didn't take my demo material. Will go again.

Right now, going to get AVR + .1 from US and get floor-standers here. I liked tsx 550 sound sig. But what I will do is, get more demos and update this thread. Hoping to get help from you guys again. Thanks all :)

As you mentioned if your dealer has elac, try elac sub esp 50. There will be great offers on it. Mrp is 34k and you can get it under 20k. I got one of those and they are great for 19k. Clean and deep bass. Lows are extremely good. Just give a try.

@ my disposal: All my cards are full and I am left with a bajaj finserv card of worth around 1 lakh. Going to stick to that budget.

I would have tried to reduce my debts, before taking up another one. just my thought, and you know it better than anyone else.

I would have tried to reduce my debts, before taking up another one. just my thought, and you know it better than anyone else.

Absolutely :) There is an incoming wave of something good, Which I will be using to clearing them off with. Idea is to not swipe CC for HT purpose :D Thereby limiting myself with my budget. Thanks for the invaluable input!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back