Huge Service Related Problem With Audio People Chennai

longshanks

I bought a musical fidelity A1 integrated amplifier from Audio People in 2012, the worked well i loved the sound but it always ran really hot.

in the middle of 2014 the right channel started producing some kind of noise or disturbance so i opened the amp to check if it could a minor issue with the binding post connection internally but after examining there was no issues of that sort nor could i find any issue by looking inside the amplifier.

i called audio people in 2014 and explained the issue and they told me that the amplifier carries one year warranty,hence this is post the one year warranty period i will charged for any service.

i did not give the amplifier to them in 2014 due to being busy in some personal work and mostly because i had another pre and power i let this amplifier be idle, yesterday i called audio people again and they asked me to bring the amplifier, i took the amplifier to them and they told me it will take a week's time for this to get fixed and i asked them to give me a call once the amplifier is ready.

Today i got a call from the person who owns Audio People stating that i had opened the amplifier and they don't service any amp which has been opened by the customer because musical fidelity's terms does not allow this.

This had been a very disappointing experience and i feel this reason given by Audio People might not be even real as i am willing to pay for the service and not sure what it has to do with me opening the amplifier.

Just want to share this so the members can act with caution when dealing with Audio People or dealing with this sort of a situation.

This is absurd especially since the product is under warranty and you are willing to pay for the repairs whatever they might be.... please contact the manufacturer directly and ask if that is their actual policy or not...Even car manufacturers service their products even after you get work done from outside even though cars are more more highly engineered than amps/speakers/dacs..

If it is, then we need to boycott the manufacturer and all their products as they obviously have something to hide to have a policy like that... I am guessing that Musical Fidelity uses very average components and do not want customers to find out the quality of parts they use...

As it is out of warranty and they are getting paid for the services, then they have to/should repair the amp. They don't service any amp which is opened by customer is completely BS. It may sound okay if it is in warranty period, that is kind of acceptable but if they are saying this for out of warranty item, this is unacceptable.

I am going to contact musical fidelity directly today.

I just saw this in musical fidelity website:

"If none of these actions affect a cure, please contact the dealer, or an authorized Musical Fidelity service agent. Remember; never open the case of the A1, as this
will invalidate the guarantee. "

Even if this is true my amplifier is out of warranty so i don't understand what is the problem with paid service.

Last edited:
Wow so many years on, Musical Fidelity still haven't fixed this issue. I have a junked A1 with exactly the same issue - lots of noise in one channel and huge channel imbalance - the noisy channel runs at really low volume.

yes, that is exactly the same issue i have, will speak to musical fidelity find out if they have a solution.

I would recommend that find someone who is good and reliable in repairing electronics and stay away from dealership because I am sure you will end up them saying/asking for something that will be worth going for a new amplifier instead.

I do not any valid reason for them to refuse servicing this amp that too when you are willing to pay for it.Please put forth your viewpoint as it was bought from them.Even after this if they refuse please tell them this problem will be dealt legally whichwill be the last recourse.

Thanking you,
pksnathan

Please contact philips arena, mount road ( Mr.Syed), who can fix this problem.. He is good in any amplifier. I have seen plenty of amps from dealers sent to him... So don't just go around audio people and they will be sending these amplifiers only outside for servicing.

Thanks

I agress Srinisundar and Bornfi's suggestion to look for a good technician and get this issue resolved ... which is our ultimate goal

All th Best

Tanoj

I would suggest that you call up Musical Fidelity and speak to Mr. Simon. He is very patient and helpful. If its some chronic problem with this particular amp, I'm sure he would be the best person to guide you.

Cheers

Please contact philips arena, mount road ( Mr.Syed), who can fix this problem.. He is good in any amplifier. I have seen plenty of amps from dealers sent to him... So don't just go around audio people and they will be sending these amplifiers only outside for servicing.

Thanks

Will get in touch with philips arena mount road.

I would suggest that you call up Musical Fidelity and speak to Mr. Simon. He is very patient and helpful. If its some chronic problem with this particular amp, I'm sure he would be the best person to guide you.

Cheers

i have spoken to musical fidelity UK and the asked me to send an email with the dealer details.

i have spoken to musical fidelity UK and the asked me to send an email with the dealer details.

Excellent, pls do share the progress. It is the responsibility of the dealers to do post sales service. Refusing paid service just because amp is opened is completely not acceptable.

I am stuck with 3 amplifiers needing spares , No idea where to go whaom to seek help from..? SA 7800, SX 880 and Pioneer tuner Amp.
The so called service centre are no good , I need power transistors 2SC 2525 & 2sa 1075, the one as replacement, please advice

Out of context but after sales service issue nevethless. I had an issue with my Chord Crimson Plus Interconnect , both Chord UK and Pro FX were fantastically excellent in addressing my issue, and replaced my cable with a brand new one, one of which had oxidized. I'm forever with Chord Company and ProFx after this.

I had faced a similar issue in my DIY pre-amplifier using LM4562 audiophile opamp and with DCB1 in the output stage. I was not able to pin-point the cause of this weired noise coming only from my right speaker. I finally traced this noise to the Op-amp ICsocket where the IC was not getting fitted properly. I then removed the IC socket and soldered the IC directly on the PCB and VIOLA all the hisses, grating and noise just vanished.

If you get the amplifier back, check to see if there are any IC sockets used in the amplifier. Usually if you are staying in a busy dusty road and have the habit of keeping the amplifier always open, minute dust particles settle on the components and sockets causing this kind of issues. Try your luck - may be it may get resolved. You can initially try to remove the ic from the socket and blow the dust and reinsert the same to pinpoint the issue.

Cheers,

U can contact power electronics,mount road,chennai.they done amazing job on two of my amps.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back