Humming Sound from Cable

tanmoydc

Hi All,

I hear a humming sound whenever I connect by HATHWAY cable setup box audio to my AVR. Even if i remove the
RCA audio connection from my AVR, the humming still present when i try to watch a movie etc. But if i remove
the cable connection the hum goes away.

More information for suggestions:

1. AVR is Sonodyne SIA 102R it connects to Bose 2.1 system; This has 3-pin power cord
2. Cable Box is HUMAX ND-1000C (HATHWAY) - has only 2-pin power cord
3. There is no shock or leakage current which can be felt on touching any of these equipment

I have used CGLI-2 from CGLI-2 Cable Ground Loop Isolator
USA, and it worked for some month (4-5 month), the hum was gone but it broke now.

Please suggest possible causes and solutions.
I searched the forum and found one similar thread but it was kind of unsolved yet or posts was not updated.

Thanks
Tanmoy

Try a different set of cables. If they also give the same issue, there is something wrong with your set top box. You can call the Hathway guys and get them to check/replace the set top box. Sometimes if the internal connections are not soldered properly, you could get the humming noise.

Cheers

Of course the noise will go away when you completely remove the cable. The idea is to isolate the trouble maker. The issue could be because of your

Set Top Box
Cable
AVR

(1) When you replace the cables and the sound continues, there is nothing wrong with the cables

(2) If you connect another source and the nose continues, there is nothing wrong with the set top box

(2) If you use a different cable and the noise continues, the issue is with the set top box.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back