I design loudspeakers and amplifiers to satisfy my own tastes ... and that taste has

Re: I design loudspeakers and amplifiers to satisfy my own tastes ... and that taste

I got off the "hifi" bus many years ago primarily because of similar sentiments.
I found hifi just getting more and more ridiculous especially in terms of prices of products.

I have to say I agree fully with the idea of "musicality" - systems have to have that basic quality to engage the listener. Bass levels these days are just not realistic anymore (literally). I hope that more people catch on to this. Thankfully there seems to be hope with some new designers because quite a few seasoned audiophiles are switching over to this preference.

Correct on many counts. I personally shy away from the mass marketed, high volume manufacturers because experience has shown me the small guys are more passionate, and have better sounding products. Period. While I don't like to buy discontinued products, most often a reputable piece will be serviced by some audio nut out there and so if you stay connected you'll be okay.

My system contains components from small companies that are led by giants in the industry from an expertise perspective. I have speakers, preamp, cables, amps, which are not multimillion dollar corps. but who know good sound and what it takes to get there with no compromises.

So in my household 2 channel is alive and well.

Re: I design loudspeakers and amplifiers to satisfy my own tastes ... and that taste

Are the original Western Electrics available for a listen anywhere in India?

On that note where could one listen or perhaps even buy original vintage horns in India - JBL,Altec,Martin and so on. I'd be particularly interested if someone knows of a few well preserved Martin 215 MK2 and/or F2B..bonus if they still have the original drivers.

Big Bertha with the extender and the Community Leviathan are other choices off the top of my head that I'd like to listen to although neither is in India as far as I know.

Hi,

I'd be particularly interested if someone knows of a few well preserved Martin 215 MK2 and/or F2B..bonus if they still have the original drivers.
Call this guy. He deals in theater sound systems and he just bought the entire sound system (Martin) from a theater in Madras that was upgrading to the latest (?) greatest(?) equipment.

He told me that all drivers were original, but I have not seen them,and do not know the driver models.

Used altec high frequency drive - Chennai - Home Appliances - Electronics - Thyagaraya Nagar

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back