I finally went analogue, and it's the best sound I've ever heard.

That argument was valid in the days of AM radio. But today with FM radio and digital streaming on capable smartphones with reasonably decent earphones, one doesn’t need that loudness to be provided on the tracks even for radio/streaming.
No, that's not the thing. Most non-audiophiles associate loudness to sound quality. Hence, the companies want to make their songs louder and louder by applying dynamic range compression. This works every time on most of the audience who are with decent to cheap gear. Hence came the 'loudness war'. Companies are hell-bent on achieving much loudness than the competition and therefore more people keep listening to the music on repeat and which translates to more revenue.
This is just like why many people find brighter pictures have better quality than neutral pictures.

Most non-audiophiles associate loudness to sound quality
May be we elites (both audiophiles and music company executives) underestimate the average listener’s ear for good sound. Also, in the days of music apps which allow volume equalisation across songs, there’s no good reason to record loud by compressing the dynamic range. Someone needs to think differently and change the game.

May be we elites (both audiophiles and music company executives) underestimate the average listener’s ear for good sound. Also, in the days of music apps which allow volume equalisation across songs, there’s no good reason to record loud by compressing the dynamic range. Someone needs to think differently and change the game.
I see it like tastes in food.
1) Street food - mp3
2) Udipi joints - lossy streaming
3) Family Dining(Fine) - lossless
4) Gourmet(Michelin* types) - high rez,

So they pick their target audience and make releases accordingly. There is a different amount of effort and profit based on each of the above.

i guess there is a difference between the listeners ability and the intent / interest to actually do something about it.
Most folks are quite happy with what they have and perhaps why headphones like Boat sell...they have pumped up treble and bass.

@Yelamanchili manohar
Wonderful to hear about your latest hifi exploits! :)
Coming back to music after any length of time is always a revelation, no matter what the medium.
On a side note, why not take the plunge and fix your home wiring issues. You have some pretty exotic gear, and you know what they say about prevention vs cure :)

@Yelamanchili manohar
Wonderful to hear about your latest hifi exploits! :)
Coming back to music after any length of time is always a revelation, no matter what the medium.
On a side note, why not take the plunge and fix your home wiring issues. You have some pretty exotic gear, and you know what they say about prevention vs cure :)
Hi coal train 👋..

I actually tried getting an electrician to renew my rooms wiring. And in the process, lay me a dedicated line for the music system. But sadly, I live in an apartment with prefab concrete walls. There are concrete cast conduits for the wiring. So to renew the same, will necessitate removing the false ceiling in my living room. And that will never get past the home minister. So I sadly have to live with the numerous hum and grounding issues now. I should be leaving shortly for work, but on my return, I will seriously attempt to fix the ps audio back, as it is my only doable solution.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back