IDM, Breakbeat, Techno

kratu

Any folks out here who listen to Electronic music. Specifically IDB, Breakbeat, Acid, Drum n' Bass and the likes? Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, Daft Punk, Autechre, etc. happens to be in your music list?

I'm also wondering what is your ideal gear that you use to listen to this kind of music. It can be fast paced and very few amps, speakers could hold it together with deft and agility.

I hear a mix of varieties of genres of music.......depends on the time and mood of the day........

In my opinion, speakers have to be really of good quality and be able to handle most or all frequencies between 20hz and 20khz.......

Professional Speakers used in clubs / outdoors will be able to manage this and accordingly you need good amps to power them well...

Latest trend is to get powered speakers....that is what most of my DJ fellow colleagues (I am no more an active DJ) are exploring and procuring......

If place is limited at home, Studio Speakers would be the next ideal option....

I do listen to a LOT of electronic music, mostly downtempo, goa, deep trance and chillout (almost entirely thru internet radio stations or youtube). Apart from Daft Punk I have none of those on my playlist. In electronic genre I like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Asura, Cosmic Replicant, Xerxes Music (Klaus Lunde) etc. Generally I find that loudspekers can reproduce electronic music better than much more denser genres like metal.

Last edited:
I hear a mix of varieties of genres of music.......depends on the time and mood of the day........

In my opinion, speakers have to be really of good quality and be able to handle most or all frequencies between 20hz and 20khz.......

Yes, the speakers need to handle all those frequencies with command. I guess having a really good sound acoustics helps. I'm yet to find a really good setup that can play it well without breaking a sweat.

I do listen to a LOT of electronic music, mostly downtempo, goa, deep trance and chillout (almost entirely thru internet radio stations or youtube). Apart from Daft Punk I have none of those on my playlist. In electronic genre I like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Asura, Cosmic Replicant, Xerxes Music (Klaus Lunde) etc. Generally I find that loudspekers can reproduce electronic music better than much more denser genres like metal.

I've heard Carbon Based Lifeforms, Asura. You might also like Solar Fields which is in the same genre. I'm currently exploring Xerxes. These are in the ambient genre which I play quite a bit. They tend to work out well on the headphones, but a really good stereo system should make it more open and spacious. Also, requires good sound isolation.

What setup do you think sounds well with these genres?

I listen to quite a bit of EDM/Trance/Chillout/Lounge/Ambient kind of Electronic Music from artists such as Daft Punk, Schiller, Paul Van Dyk, Above & Beyond etc as well as quite a bit of Organic Music like World/Indian/Jazz/Classical etc. From my experience the quality of playback system become lot more perceptible for Organic Music than Electronic Music. I am comparing a L550/XLS1502/ESS9038 setup to a Diamond10.1/Q5Pro/CCA setup here. The amount of additional resolution obtained for Electronic Music in the first setup over the second one pales in comparison to the same for Organic Music...

I listen to mainly Industrial, Noise, Power Electronics, Retrowave, Ambient stuff. I'm playing most of the stuff on my S-1000j Sansui speakers and Onkyo amp with a philips dvd player...

I listen to quite a bit of EDM/Trance/Chillout/Lounge/Ambient kind of Electronic Music from artists such as Daft Punk, Schiller, Paul Van Dyk, Above & Beyond etc as well as quite a bit of Organic Music like World/Indian/Jazz/Classical etc. From my experience the quality of playback system become lot more perceptible for Organic Music than Electronic Music. I am comparing a L550/XLS1502/ESS9038 setup to a Diamond10.1/Q5Pro/CCA setup here. The amount of additional resolution obtained for Electronic Music in the first setup over the second one pales in comparison to the same for Organic Music...

I hear you. In terms of reproducing the music as rich and natural as possible, I do agree that you need a high-grade system. (Tubes and Premium SS amps comes to my mind.) I was referring to extremely fast-paced music, with complex layers of instruments. This is more of Drill n' Bass than Ambient, for example. For "slower" music like Ambient, Chillout or Jazz, Classical the kind of system that works well is different.

I've heard Carbon Based Lifeforms, Asura. You might also like Solar Fields which is in the same genre. I'm currently exploring Xerxes. These are in the ambient genre which I play quite a bit. They tend to work out well on the headphones, but a really good stereo system should make it more open and spacious. Also, requires good sound isolation.

What setup do you think sounds well with these genres?
Heard Solar Fields too, like them. I also listen all genres, mostly prog metal, Hindustani, old Hindi etc. But when I am working I listen to electronic to keep away from distraction.

I have a very basic setup: Shuttle XPC (Source) >> Khadas Tone Board (DAC) >> Class D Audio SDS 254 (power amp) >> Aperion Audio 5B (speakers). You're welcome to join for a listen as you are in Bangalore.

I also use headphones sometimes but not a lot:
Shuttle XPC (Source) >> Aune T1 (DAC+Amp) >> Mr Speakers Mad Dog (Headphone)

Check these out.
Xerxes -- Simple Math

Xerxes -- Cleopatra

absolutely love aphex twin, glad to see you like autechre. throwing in some names to start of...
Bonobo
Herbaliser (check out artists from the label ninja cuts overall)
St. Germain (especially their album tourist)
if you like drone, then Mokira
Cabaret Voltaire
Quantec - unusual signals
Biosphere - found this guy to be just amazing..explore the themes of his albums...
The Haxan Cloak - Excavation (atmosphere based, very theatric)

Awesome. I've heard of Bonobo and Biosphere. The latter is from this Norwegian artist and has that cold, gloomy atmosphere. I don't listen that much. I remember exploring few other names you mentioned. Couple of them are new. I'll check out.

Most of the Drone/Ambient works best with headphones than speakers.

For folks who are interested to check out Ambient. Here is my playlist.

Screenshot 2020-03-11 12.23.32.png

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back