Impact of COVID-19 on AV Industry

haisaikat

No matter what industry it is big or small, local or global, there is some amount of impact that is bound to happen due to this ongoing situation. The exact nature of the impact is still speculative at this stage as foreseeing the impact the industry will try to change strategy (unless the vaccine comes up) and adapt but that does not stop us from calling our shots. Here is my take on the impacts on AV industry and open to suggestions from others

1. There will be restrictions on Made in China imports and this may slow down advent of newer AV models in the market. Secondary import sources like Japan and Korea may get popularity but they will end up hiking average prices unless some other measure are adopted. But lower sales may impact RnD budget of some companies resulting in slower releases of newer products.
  2. A lot of people may be on the move even within the country be it changing jobs or finding a new one and this may increase demand for streaming media services and portable audio devices like headphones, mini amps, etc
  3. Online AV streaming has already gained popularity and this will foster the spread of higher bandwidth data infrastructure in the form of 5G or fibre optic based cable lines.
  4. Even if lockdown is lifted, people will prefer going less to public gatherings for a considerable amount of time until vaccine is released or a stronger government assurance takes its place clubbed with social distancing and other safety precautions. This may result in lesser crowds in cinema halls with the possibility of them going into reduced revenue earning and margins with production houses considering online release options.
  5. Even those families whose job stability or income have not been impacted by the crisis might consider keeping expenses checked for newer AV investments as its not under the items of basic necessity and in most of the cases craved by a single individual of the family and not the entire family :). Quoting Spock (Star Trek), "The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few". I do consider a contradicting theory that people may also consider setting up better home entertainment means (like increase in home fitness products seems inevitable) but whether they will spend the budget is worth watching.
  6. Used AV equipment market may boom, relating this to the slowdown of 2007-08 where used AV market in EU was flooded with excellent gears at very competitive prices due to people selling them off to achieve liquidity in times of distress.
  7. The exorbitant prices in used media market of older CDs and LPs may finally come down.
  8. Sale of laptops, tablets, phones with bigger screens, etc that can double up as personal mobile entertainment hub can probably go up
  9. Concerts and Live Shows are likely to be tele-casted live over youtube or similar streaming channels with sponsor backing but finding sponsors may be challenge in the first place. Related to this, event management companies may consider adding live telecasting offering to their services.
  10. Sale of moderately priced portable musical instruments which can be learnt / practiced remotely can actually improve with people preferring to adopt stay-at-home hobbies.
That is all for now. Want to know what other fellow HFVians think.

Hi
Saikat
I agree with your views and thanks for mooting such a necessary as well as relevant issue. However, I think on line movie release and streaming services are going to be part of our entertainment in the days yet to come. Because after the lock down movie houses will not be opened as there keeping necessary health care such as social distancing may not be possible. Live concerts will not be allowed for some days in future. We shall have to be satisfied watching youtube videos of different programmes and streaming movies from some on line platform. As regards sale of vinyls and CDs, people will be more interested in streaming apps like Gana, Spotify or Tidal because of convenience and stay at home and enjoy facility. People will buy mobiles , laptops and invest money for data pack so as to access on line services. They will also invest money on projector and other accessories instead of what they bought before the pandemic . I fear that the cost of the imported gears will be sky rocketing when we shall find an answer for corona in future.
Regards

I request forum members who want to upgrade AV gear ,please do it and sell old gear to Hifivision forum members only .May be hifivision can set up such mode against fees.
Also request ,HIFIMART to sell all existing stock at good discount rates so that it can prompt /Motivate other members to buy new gear in installments.
Finally those who are not upgrading ,please keep posting ur journey of existing gear,reviews and other interesting things/updates.
Hopefully after lock down period ,many will have opportunity to upgrade /downgrade av gear and will be good treat :):)for used market.

No matter what industry it is big or small, local or global, there is some amount of impact that is bound to happen due to this ongoing situation. The exact nature of the impact is still speculative at this stage as foreseeing the impact the industry will try to change strategy (unless the vaccine comes up) and adapt but that does not stop us from calling our shots. Here is my take on the impacts on AV industry and open to suggestions from others

1. There will be restrictions on Made in China imports and this may slow down advent of newer AV models in the market. Secondary import sources like Japan and Korea may get popularity but they will end up hiking average prices unless some other measure are adopted. But lower sales may impact RnD budget of some companies resulting in slower releases of newer products.
  2. A lot of people may be on the move even within the country be it changing jobs or finding a new one and this may increase demand for streaming media services and portable audio devices like headphones, mini amps, etc
  3. Online AV streaming has already gained popularity and this will foster the spread of higher bandwidth data infrastructure in the form of 5G or fibre optic based cable lines.
  4. Even if lockdown is lifted, people will prefer going less to public gatherings for a considerable amount of time until vaccine is released or a stronger government assurance takes its place clubbed with social distancing and other safety precautions. This may result in lesser crowds in cinema halls with the possibility of them going into reduced revenue earning and margins with production houses considering online release options.
  5. Even those families whose job stability or income have not been impacted by the crisis might consider keeping expenses checked for newer AV investments as its not under the items of basic necessity and in most of the cases craved by a single individual of the family and not the entire family :). Quoting Spock (Star Trek), "The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few". I do consider a contradicting theory that people may also consider setting up better home entertainment means (like increase in home fitness products seems inevitable) but whether they will spend the budget is worth watching.
  6. Used AV equipment market may boom, relating this to the slowdown of 2007-08 where used AV market in EU was flooded with excellent gears at very competitive prices due to people selling them off to achieve liquidity in times of distress.
  7. The exorbitant prices in used media market of older CDs and LPs may finally come down.
  8. Sale of laptops, tablets, phones with bigger screens, etc that can double up as personal mobile entertainment hub can probably go up
  9. Concerts and Live Shows are likely to be tele-casted live over youtube or similar streaming channels with sponsor backing but finding sponsors may be challenge in the first place. Related to this, event management companies may consider adding live telecasting offering to their services.
  10. Sale of moderately priced portable musical instruments which can be learnt / practiced remotely can actually improve with people preferring to adopt stay-at-home hobbies.
That is all for now. Want to know what other fellow HFVians think.

You forgot Numerous Movies Being produced in bollywood with lock down in the backdrop ; which will bore you to death if lock down hasn't bored you enough already.
For the first time after 9/11, ISIS & AL Queda will get some respite from being the main villains in Hollywood movies ; they'll be replaced by Chinese, Virus and Biological Warfare, who'll be blamed for all the wrongdoing! You'll be flooded with conspiracy theories in movies and web series; better to unsubscribe from video Streaming services for sometime after lock down.

Manufacturers and dealers who are high on leverage will face difficulty servicing their debt, if this stalemate prolongs. There could be some consolidation, when manufacturers who go belly-up are taken over by better managed ones. Change of ownership needn't always be for the best, when it comes to maintaining the sonic quality, priorities and design philosophy.
Even those with less borrowings will have cash flow related issues to tide over this period, when their revenues are next to none. They will have to layoff staff and/or restructure some of their existing debt to stay afloat. I remember receiving a mail from Headphonezone a few days back, citing cash flow issues and requesting all existing customers to buy prepaid cards which can improve their cash situation.

I'm looking at upgrading my computer display.
Will be one of my first purchases once the lock down is going to be lifted.

I feel there will be a sudden spike in purchases once people feel its safe to order since most of us have some outstanding incomplete purchases, but if we look at the remaining part of the year there would be a hit on the overall sales i feel mainly due to 2 reasons
i) People who have switched jobs/ have had to search for one due to current layoffs will not really spend unless needed this year
ii) People will be skeptical on the outlook of the businesses/organization revenue streams and might prefer to wait it out till they have enough liquid cash

Back