Impedance issue with new Onkyo and old Tannoy's

SigurSpaceboy

Hello, new to the forums here and I'm pretty new to receivers as well (I've been doing a ton of research, but still have some questions). I recently purchased an ONKYO TX-NR616 7.2-Channel receiver. I know this specific model has a lot of problems reported, but I bought it refurbished so I thought that might eliminate most of the problems, and so far, nothing has come up and I've very happy with it. I had also planned on buying a new 5.1 speaker set up for it, but the ones I wanted are currently out of stock for a while. They are the Monoprice copies of the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set that everyone seems to think is a good deal for entry level speakers.

So, since I don't want to wait another month or so until I can get the new speaker set, I thought I would piece together a 5.0 system from a rag tag group of speakers I already have. I don't have a sub of any kind, but I'd still like to get some bass, so I used an old set of Tannoy PBM 6.5 Studio monitors as my main LR channels. These speakers are awesome and have some intense low end, but I don't know much about them. I'm also using an old set of bookshelf speakers for my surrounds, and another decent speaker from an old 2.1 set up as my center speaker.

The bookshelf surrounds and the center speaker are all rated at 6 ohms each. The Tannoy's are rated as "8 ohm (4 ohm minimum)" each. The receiver says it's rating is for 6-16 ohms. The Tannoy's rating confuses me a little by saying it has a regular rating plus a minimum.

I have the system dialed in a little and it sounds pretty killer, tons of bass for not having a sub. But as you can guess, as I start to turn the system up when there is a lot of bass with music, or a loud gunshot or explosion happens on a Blu Ray, the receiver's safety shut off kicks in and turns the unit off. You can turn it right back on again and it states "Check SP Wire". All connections are good, and from what I've gathered, the receiver is detecting that some speakers are wanting more power than it can give and shuts itself off to prevent a burn out (I'm glad it has this feature).

Now, is this happening because of the Tannoy's impedance? I assume it is, but wish it wasn't since the speakers sound amazing. I assumed it would work because the first rating on the Tannoy's is 8ohm, well within the receiver's range, but then it states that minimum of 4ohms. If it is indeed these speakers that are causing the problem, could it be made worse because I've EQ'd the system to get a lot more bass out of the Tannoy's? Meaning, if I rolled back the bass demands being put on the Tannoy's, would it stop this problem from happening? If that were true, could I just add a powered sub to the current system, recalibrate (putting less bass stress on the Tannoy's), and prevent the auto shut off?

I love the Tannoy's and was hoping to use them as my main LR channels with a new 5.1 system that I get, making it a solid 7.1. Is that just not an option?

Here are the specs I could find on the Tannoy's:
WOOFER DESCRIPTION 6" injection molded cone with nitrile rubber surround.
TWEETER DESCRIPTION " polymide soft dome ferro-fluid cooled.
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (3dB) 55Hz - 20kHz (-10 dB @ 40Hz)
PEAK POWER HANDLING 100 Watts
IMPEDANCE 8 ohms (4 ohms minimum)
SENSITIVITY 91dB (88 dB anechoic)
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 2.3kHz
FINISH pewter grey vinyl
DIMENSIONS (inches) H 12.56 W 8.5 D 8.13 (mm) H320 W 216 D 213
WEIGHT (lbs.) 12 (kg.) 5.5

Also, it should be noted that these speakers have 4 wiring posts and they are currently bridged. I assume this is for bi-amping to power the tweeter and woofer separately. But then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

And some info on the ONKYO Receiver:
Dynamic Power: 240W (3 ohms, 1 ch); 210W (4 ohms, 1 ch); 120W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
Damping Factor: 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 ohms)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance: 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
Output Level and Impedance: 200 mV/2.2 k-ohms (Rec out)
Tone Control: +/-10 dB, 50 Hz (Bass); +/-10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 106 dB (Line, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance: 6 ohms - 16 ohms
Front L/R: 100W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC); 125W + 125W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Center: 100W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC); 125W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R: 100W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC); 125W + 125W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R: 100W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC); 125W + 125W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Dynamic Power: 240 W (3 ohms, 1 ch), 210 W (4 ohms, 1 ch), 120 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

Any advice on how I should move forward would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize for the novel length post.

Welcome to HFV.
Most of the 8 ohms speakers may actually act as 6 ohms.I have Tannoy mercury system & HT lab has reported its center impedance goes as low as 4.25(5kh) & nominal impedence as 6 ohms.
Tannoy Fusion surround speaker system Calibration | Home Theater

So you can select 6 ohms on AVR & there shouldn't be any problem.
Old Onkyo AVR used to have option of only 4 & 6 ohm option.For 8 ohm speakers,manual says keep it as 6ohms.

i am a noob simply.
what i am getting your system has been shut itself.
so its clear spaekers are demanding more power..
does it happens in all volume level
if yes
matter is really of concern
if no
at about which level
70%...??
50%??

1.as spiro said...what was your selection in reciever...??

2.you can add power amp and speaker to line coneverter...as 616 do not have pre out itself.well it will obviosly add noise...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back