Installed spike guard & lost clarity.

sindabad.sailor

Hello all,

I purchsed a socket multiplier with built in spike guard from Big Bazaar yesterday for connecting LCD TV, DVD player, 2TB HDD and STB.

When connected, the diagnostic LEDs indicated reveresed Neutral and Earth at TV socket. Checked the wiriing inside and found it to be normal.

The diagnostics are indicating different faults at different plug points.

Dared to hook tv on as earlier I was playing the TV w/o spike guard from the same plug point.

Now I realized that there were bands passing from top to bottom ilke a wave though subtle.

When I connected it as usual i.e. without spike guard this problem vanished.

I am left wondering if the spike guard itself is faulty or if similar thing happens due to some sort of incompatibility.

Request you guys to throw some light on.

Rgds.

It is quite clear that the spike guard is creating the issue. Big Bazaar sells cheap stuff, and it is best not to use such things with you AV equipment. Get a reputed power distribution strip.

Cheers

I was thinking of buying a Belkin make spike guard - the one that offers monetary compensation in case of damage. I hope this one will not do the same ... make me see waves of speckles in the stereo imaging? :rolleyes:

--G0bble

I was using many spike guards before , brands like MX, CONA what not. I always found when ever I plug in the spike the led indicators use to show L&N reverse...:mad:...and there will always be little power(Phase) in neutral too... Later changed to belkin without any coil/inductor(not sure if its coil or trafo) inside;).... And everything back to normal. L&N are clean.

I'd recomend belkin any day.:)

@Kitu1977,

Kindly pass on the model of Belkin that gives some sort of warranty.
I tried googling and found numerous belikns which are priced close to the normal ones that we buy from store. I doubt these give the sort of warranty mentioned here on.
Also I did not find a single model with diagnostic LEDs.
How safe would be portals like ebay or say rediff for such purchases?
ANy recommended place in Mumbai?

I think I have to buy one with minimum 5 sockets. Planning to keep 1 extra just in case I buy wii / xbox / PS in future.

Rgds.

I was thinking of buying a Belkin make spike guard - the one that offers monetary compensation in case of damage. I hope this one will not do the same ... make me see waves of speckles in the stereo imaging? :rolleyes:

--G0bble

Gobble

I doubt whether anybody actually asks for or receives monetary compensation. A power strip usually has a mov (metal oxide varistor) which protects gadgets against small surges for a short while. With every surge it's power weakens, and very soon it goes dead. But people on keep using these strips fondly believing that they are 'protected'.

My personal opinion, based on auditions/actual usage, is that these surge protector+extension boards provide no protection but they are disastrous for the SQ. Probably for PQ too when used with an LCD. For protection and for improving SQ/PQ, an online UPS is probably the best solution.

Here you go

Belkin Gold Series 8-Socket Surge Protector F9G826vzb3M - Rs. 1,649.00 on ebay

Protect your computer, TV, music system, printers and other electrical equipment from frequent power cuts.

FEATURE
# a 2,444 Joule energy rating to provide surge protection for computers, peripherals, and household electronics
# Maximum Spike Current: 86,000 Amps
# Cable management
# Delivers power through a 3-metre, heavyduty cable
# Safety Shutters help to protect users and their children; keep dust and debris from unused sockets
# The spoiler Cable system bar lifts up and locks down for easy cable management
# Allow room for large AC adapter blocks
# Lifetime Warranty
# Connected Equipment Warranty Max.

Gobble

I doubt whether anybody actually asks for or receives monetary compensation. A power strip usually has a mov (metal oxide varistor) which protects gadgets against small surges for a short while. With every surge it's power weakens, and very soon it goes dead. But people on keep using these strips fondly believing that they are 'protected'.

My personal opinion, based on auditions/actual usage, is that these surge protector+extension boards provide no protection but they are disastrous for the SQ. Probably for PQ too when used with an LCD. For protection and for improving SQ/PQ, an online UPS is probably the best solution.

While I do want to belive you, its only 2K or less so I can afford to be a skeptic and experiment :eek:hyeah:

I will buy it listen and update end of month.

--G0bble

Our office also uses these Belkin strips. I know DWA and HP are completely nuts about keeping the equipment safe. We are in ITPL, Bangalore which provides unlimited and uninterrupted power and in spite of that we have 3 tier UPS redundancy, which makes sense when people are working on $20,000 machines. So, if they trust it, I would too!

BTW, in ITPL, the IT shop in the mall downstairs has 4-pin and 6-pin Belkin strips available at reasonable rates.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back