Integrated Amp or AV receiver

samgurung

Am going to build my first hifi system. Have zeroed in on the elac b6.2 speakers. Have heard very good things about them. However I am super confused if I should get an integrated amp like the mrantz mcr511 or a 5.1 av receiver like the yamaha rxv485. Would love to hear your inputs on the road I should take. Ill mostly stream music but would like to have options for future upgrades!

Stereo amp for that. You would take the most of the speakers by that. Later if you want to expand to a surround setup, then get that amp at that time. Don't live on a compromise today. :)

Would recommend stereo amp too! If it's primarily music, just go the integrated amp route.

Thanks @hifitoaster for your reply.. However, isnt the yamaha rxv485 powerful enough an amp to draw the most out of the elac b6.2. Wont it work as well as the marantz mcr511? Its got more power of the two.

Would like to connect my tv as well for movies. But most use will be for good audio!

It'll work just fine with the TV too.

The biggest upgrade that an AVR brings in IMO for a tv/movie watching experience is the possibility of a center channel. But a well done stereo setup is great to start with.

Agree with the previous post: AVRs bring in the possibility of other channels and hence a surround experience. But, in a small room, a good stereo setup will make you reasonably happy for movies too @samgurung. Whats your room size and shape? Do you have walls facing and on the sides of your setup? Then a stereo setup might work and hence integrated amp. The other choice is to start with something like a Marantz 1508/1608 which is cheaper/slim AVR and upgrade it when you are ready...

@raptor77 My room size is 12x10 ft. The unit will be placed middle of one wall with the sides being approx 4 ft apart from the table on which the unit will be placed. The mrantz is 6k cheaper but is also of lower power compared to the yamaha

@raptor77 My room size is 12x10 ft. The unit will be placed middle of one wall with the sides being approx 4 ft apart from the table on which the unit will be placed. The mrantz is 6k cheaper but is also of lower power compared to the yamaha
That's not too big so consider the Marantz. Yes it is lower power but consider the fact that most stereo amps output about 50W - same as the marantz and people are happy with that. Also, unless you're really planning to crank up the volume (and have your family/neighbors kick you out!), are you really going to end up using 70 or 80 wpc power to drive your speakers? Something to think about...

That's not too big so consider the Marantz. Yes it is lower power but consider the fact that most stereo amps output about 50W - same as the marantz and people are happy with that. Also, unless you're really planning to crank up the volume (and have your family/neighbors kick you out!), are you really going to end up using 70 or 80 wpc power to drive your speakers? Something to think about...

I agree with this, in fact.

I have the NR1509 in a stereo setup in my living room hooked up to a Polk Signature S50. I've never felt the power to be lacking at all!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back