Intersting video by Harry Pearson

Rajiv

Last edited:
@Rajiv
More great links!Thanks.
"If you guys are not here because you love the music,you're in the wrong business" Harry Pearson in the first link.
I had earlier posted on this forum,that many of the dealers/salesmen I met, during auditions earlier this year,had no passion for and no knowledge of music.A virtual friend:) referred to them as bread and butter dealers,simply there for a livelihood.And these dealers really had nothing to give, except the equipment they happened to be selling.Their focus was simply on selling what they had,good or bad.There was no space,no room for discussion about other brands or music in general.One dealer categorically told me that he was not interested in audiophiles stepping into his store,because they wasted too much time and seldom bought anything:)Sound business sense....but what is life with only money,money,money and no passion or love for music?

And a good Single Malt :D

Rajiv

An Islay single malt!
Watching the audio tweaks video.Paused it to write this post.Having finished my audio buying for the moment,I am quite absorbed with trying to upgrade my room acoustics without ruining the decor,or buying any absorption panels.I don't do tweaks too often,because then I would stop enjoying music and get addicted to merely listening to tweak effects.But on certain days, when I am in the mood,I use a single reference CD,a few tracks of Leonard Cohen,and move the speakers,rugs,furniture around.Amazing what a few milimeters here and there,can do to the sound.Unfortunately,I have a 6 seater glass top dining table (now covered with a thick table cloth) in the room,which cannot be removed,without launching divorce proceedings:)But while I power on the system and wait for it to warm up (5-10 minutes) I select the cd's I am going to listen to,and also put the 6 dining chairs to work at specific points as absorption panels.After completing the tweak,I play Beethoven's 9th and Mahler's 2nd,to hear whether I did something right.
One of the things I learnt by a fluke,and also mentioned in this video,is that your speakers need not be equi-distant from side and back walls.Perfect mathematical precision in placement is not the way to go.I had earlier done this with a tape measure and the right channel used to sound more forward at my listening position.It took me time to overcome the mental block of precise placement,but one day I moved the right speaker a few inches back as compared to the left.Also different degrees of toe-in for left and right.And the sound fell into place.More balance.More depth.
When we play music we are not only listening to our speakers,but also to our rooms.Getting our rooms to shut up,is the single most important upgrade!

Thank you, Rajiv, for a very informative link.

Listening to Harry Pearson was very infotaining. (If I can make up my own words) I was listening to him on my headphones as my wife was having her short afternoon siesta and at one point I laughed out loud which prompted my wife to boot me out of the bedroom.

Good to know that dimmers could have a negative impact on sound as I am planning to install these in my apartment.

I also found the tips on room acoustics very useful. Placing the speakers alongside the TV, placing them equidistance from the side walls, coffee table being placed in front of the speakers etc are mistakes novices like me commit all the time. Listening to the gentlemen talk on the first reflection point was an eye opener.

Regards and many thanks,

Sunil

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back