Iomega Screenplay Director Owner Thread

See what sound channel does the movie contains. I face this problem when i download movies when i watch it on my home theater. If its a 2 channel sound it tends to be low and if its 5.1 channel that i guess it will be a good sound quality. I usually play all my movies through home theater and download movies which are a dvd rip to get good dolby sound effect. (e.g movies which are above 2.5gb)

Hi Ihave had this unit for a month now with no problems and am running it on wireless it hasn't dropped connection yet. I am very new to all this and have posted a question regarding live streaming but it has not been moderated yet. Please can anyone help with the live streaming aspect (I know wireless is not ideal for streaming but am going to go for wired if I master this lol)

I don't know about you folks, but, this is not a good player.

It does not play most of my MKV (I don't want to get into the details of codecs already discussed here) but my ASUS O! Play air does clean job of it.

another annoying thing is that the boot time. oh boy, it takes time.

I simply removed the 1TB drive out of this player and using it in my PC :)

overall the player is okay. 720p with DTS/AC3 and 1080p with AC3 are recommended formats

things that i like
- plays with good quality
- plays many formats, i usually download H264 ones with mkv and mp4s using torrents from TPB and only few did not play.
-DVD menus work
- subtitles work
- you can use it as your data backup device too

things that i dont like about it (longer list though)

- startup shutdown time
- AAC audio does not work. It plays in stereo format only. I need to get it converted to AC3
- DTS audio is choppy for 1080p movies
- crappy remote with redundant buttons, you cannot connect standard usb keyboard with the provided ports
- interface is slower, new files do not get recognized immediately after moving from usb device to host mode.
- interface could be much better and intuitive
- Cannot transfer files via USB while watching movies and you need to move between USB host/device mode by restarting
- cannot transfer faster than 2MB/s using network
- cannot transfer faster than 10MB/s using USB (this is the fastest speed you get with this box for transferring files)
- cannot adjust delay for audio and subtitles
- Torrent performance is slower. same torrent on PC yields faster speeds
- youtube videos are not buffered. On slower net connection (1mbps!), the videos are unwatchable due to lack of buffering)
- one 8gb dvd image did not play well, not sure about other cause i do not have any to try
- DVD menus work only if the DVD is ripped into ISO format. By copying DVD directly, they do not work
- there are no software updates released since long. the support forums are full of vents and the company just ignores them :)

hopefully you can use these to compare against other products and buy accordingly

Hi All,

I have Imoega TV Link director. I am having a problem with that though m not sure that it is a real problem or not.

I am not getting full 5.1 Surround sound from it. I have connected the player using optical cable to my Receiver. I generally play 720p BRRips downloaded from net. Sometimes i do get 5.1 sound but then sound keeps breaking.

Is there any solution to this ?

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers..!!

I am facing the same problem with my new iomega TV Link media player(update v 1.4.0.92), even after doing twists with sound settings, I am not able to get 5.1 sound from player to my av receiver through optical cable. anybody please help and explain how to set 5.1 sound through optical cable properly.

What type of movie files are you downloading? Most of the BRRIP files are mp4 with aac audio. Most media players will send only stereo pcm for aac. If you send aac signal as raw, the AVRs won't be able to decode the 5.1. I'm using mkvtoolnix to convert the movie to mkv format, then popcorn audio converter to convert the acc audio to ac3 resulting in a mkv ac3 file. The whole conversion will take around 5- 10 minutes on my laptop.

What type of movie files are you downloading? Most of the BRRIP files are mp4 with aac audio. Most media players will send only stereo pcm for aac. If you send aac signal as raw, the AVRs won't be able to decode the 5.1. I'm using mkvtoolnix to convert the movie to mkv format, then popcorn audio converter to convert the acc audio to ac3 resulting in a mkv ac3 file. The whole conversion will take around 5- 10 minutes on my laptop.

i think u have a solution to my problem the only thing is that i dont know how to convert the audio all i do using mkvmerge is (extra options - compression none) for both audio and video and then press start muxing... all videos open perfectly, some audio play others doesnt... and ive just noticed the format is A_AAC on mkvmerge so would u please help me solve it?

i think u have a solution to my problem the only thing is that i dont know how to convert the audio all i do using mkvmerge is (extra options - compression none) for both audio and video and then press start muxing... all videos open perfectly, some audio play others doesnt... and ive just noticed the format is A_AAC on mkvmerge so would u please help me solve it?

I guess you want to convert mp4 aac video to mkv ac3. The first step is to convert the video to mkv using mkvtoolnix which you have already done. But this video still will be having aac audio. For converting this mkv video to mkv with ac3 you need another tool called popkorn audio converter. Download the tool from http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=20887. The software will download additional tools required for the conversion.

Hi Guys
I've got a 1TB Iomega Screenplay Director and I follow the instructions and unzip the update file - update.wup - paste it into a pendrive.
Then I start up the Screenplay Director and when its homepage (Pictures - Music - Video - Settings) shows up I plug in the pendrive, the Iomega acknowledges - Kingston - but after that it doesn't do anything at all.

I've tried this with a fresh download and another pendrive. Same - just inaction.

What is it that I'm not getting right?

Please help out, guys

Thanks

Finally figured out the problem of files not playing etc. This player does NOT do DTS decoding or pass-through. Tested it with a receiver. So if a media file has only DTS soundtrack, you won't get any sound out of it. Other than that, no issues so far. Plays 1080p files just fine (stupid documentation).

Hi Bansal,

Does this problem still exists? I am trying to play dts files on my iomega screenplay director with amplifier . It does not output the sound but it does play the video.

Can you please help?

Thanks,
~D

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back