Is Chimney a real alternative to Exhaust Fans?

Chulbulee

To keep swarming mosquitoes at bay, I put a mosquito mesh in front of my exhaust fan (I stay on 4th floor). Soon the mesh clogs and fumes return back and not only the fan drips of sticky oil, the ceiling and wooden fixtures get a coat.

Am considering a Chimney, but most reviews are negative: either about noise and/or vibration due to unskilled "so-called technicians". Just wondering whether anyone has done any "Jugaad" or found out a satisfactorily working chimney?

Good quality chimney is much better than exhaust. Go for baffle filter and oil drip compartment. Company installation is best. Get company cleaned yearly. Will last for a decade easily.

Will put it technically like this: Check the wattage of the motor of the chimney. Go for a powerful motor like 450 watts or more. It's assumed that a costly chimney has a powerful suction motor.

Points to remember while using chimney:

1. Avoid using fans in rooms which is adjacent to the kitchen. You can use fans in other rooms with doors closed
2. Try not open windows in the kitchen or adjacent rooms

The objective of this is to force the smoke to be sucked out of the house through the chimney only and not to allow it to circulate in this house

And of course clean filters periodically. The dealer may offer a cleaning material (white crystal) for effective cleaning of the filters. Remember it's caustic soda which is available for a lesser price in the nearby hardware shop.

You can continue using your existing method too. Just clean the net with diesel or kerosene regularly and follow the above two points

Good quality chimney is much better than exhaust.
Any recommendation for low noise ones?

Check the wattage of the motor of the chimney. Go for a powerful motor like 450 watts or more. It's assumed that a costly chimney has a powerful suction motor.

Did not find one with that high wattage. IMO higher wattage means more noise, as fan will rotate inside the enclosure. If you can recommend a brand/model that will help me decide.

Hi
There are split electric kitchen chimneys where the motor unit is installed outside, hence considerable low noise inside the kitchen. But they are costly.

My 2 cents

Don't look just at the wattage but the suction capacity in m3/hr. Though wattage is a factor, the way the fan/blower is designed also plays a role in suction. Also see if there are variable speed settings - I feel that control is important. You might differ on the need for that. There are chimneys available whose USP (among others) is touted as "low noise".

Hi
There are split electric kitchen chimneys where the motor unit is installed outside, hence considerable low noise inside the kitchen. But they are costly.

My 2 cents
I am using this Glen 90cm baffle filter 1250 m³/hr split chimney for the past couple of years... satisfied customer. :)

1637064486557.jpeg

1637064786164.jpeg

I am using this Glen 90cm baffle filter 1250 m³/hr split chimney for the past couple of years... satisfied customer. :)

Thanks.

I today saw this model and was impressed. However, problem is, I have window just above where I need the chimney and the dealer said, the outlet should be around 6-7 feet away and I am living on top floor, placing it will need some "man with jhoola, who can slide down from terrace, like painters" to fix that outside unit. I don't know whether putting the motor on terrace would be a good idea, as then the length will be around 12-15 feet.

I am using "Elica Stripe LTW 90 BK TC3V Turbo Led" for the last 6 years. It's 350 watts not 450 as I mentioned in my last post. It has a openable hood which is useful while deep frying. Quite satisfied with the performance

If fixing chimney is not possible due to space constraints, You can continue with your exhaust fan. Just make a frame with aluminum and steel mesh. Fix it from inside. Remove and clean the mesh from time to time.

Avoid a chimney that makes more than 58db of noise. Here is a good list.

Thanks for the article, but nothing new here, all copy paste stuff.

Almost every chimney makes 58db noise, and those making around 52 are not in circulation. Glen has introduced a BLDC motor chimney and give 7 year warranty on it.

This is what I bought for my new place - waiting for it to get installed once kitchen cabinets are done.

Its almost noiseless at level 3. Only in boost mode can you hear it. Its very easy to clean and looks incredibly stylish.

Only downer is the steep price.

I have been using Faber chimneys for 15 years and they worked well. Stopped using exhausts a while back.

I dont think if the window is right in front you cannot use the split one and even if you do, you are not avoiding the noise.
You may as well as go with the regular ones.

Do make sure, the size of the chimney in terms of width is equal or slightly larger than the hob width so that all all smoke is absorbed.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back