Is Denon S650 for Rs 47000 online worth buying?

Donivlapog

The only issue I have noticed with it is it is listed as 120 volts equipment while reading the specs. Is this better investment as compared to Denon 550 for a similar price range?

Please don't waste your $$ on that, it's a pure Dubba... If you are scouting for an AVR, at least go with Audyssey MultEQ XT.
The thing is my current budget is restricted to under Rs.50k for av receiver and another 50k for speakers. My purpose is only for playing BR movies that I have collected lately and my HTRT3 got busted twice within warranty and this time am thinking of not so costly but a proper home theater like with Polk or elac 5.1 with an entry level AVR. As I can't run after repair shops if I put lakhs and lakhs into a better one as adviced by HT dealers. Stocks are fast disappearing online and I don't want to approach offline dealers as they are trying to sell high end stuff which I don't need. I may invest those extra thousands in expanding my BR collection library instead.

The thing is my current budget is restricted to under Rs.50k for av receiver and another 50k for speakers. My purpose is only for playing BR movies that I have collected lately and my HTRT3 got busted twice within warranty and this time am thinking of not so costly but a proper home theater like with Polk or elac 5.1 with an entry level AVR. As I can't run after repair shops if I put lakhs and lakhs into a better one as adviced by HT dealers. Stocks are fast disappearing online and I don't want to approach offline dealers as they are trying to sell high end stuff which I don't need. I may invest those extra thousands in expanding my BR collection library instead.
I understand where you are coming from; that said, wait for another 6/7 months; let the price normalize. With 50K, you should be able to grab a 1600H/1700H easily once this Price-Madness is over.

I understand where you are coming from; that said, wait for another 6/7 months; let the price normalize. With 50K, you should be able to grab a 1600H/1700H easily once this Price-Madness is over.
In 6 months I would have atleast a collection of 200+ blue ray discs under 1000 each bought from Amazon or Flipkart when they go on discounts. I too was thinking it would be a good time to wait and there would be more stuff to play. But then the 50 odd ones that I already have are being played by RT3 which is not justifying the BR movies purchase. Plus my kids while playing their PS4 games may get more immersion going into the real deal as against the crossover between soundbar and HTIB that this HTRT3 is. There is a ripple effect due to demand and prices may not come down if I think of a psychology that dealers will not lower the ceiling once they had consumers paying and buying at premium rates for close to two years.

Look around for an old Denon X2400H. Should be heaps better than a S650. I would not touch any 120volt Hi Fi component for India.
I don't see a situation of prices ever normalizing. Such is the demand for these components that everyone is having a free run.

Look around for an old Denon X2400H. Should be heaps better than a S650. I would not touch any 120volt Hi Fi component for India.
I don't see a situation of prices ever normalizing. Such is the demand for these components that everyone is having a free run.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am not too keen in second hand at the moment. I don't mind entry level AVRs. So is Denon 550 BT with 240 volt detachable power cord a better buy for me in similar price points? As to convert 120 to 240 plus have it voltage regulated is a real mess I thought. But the specs are far better than a 550. For my purpose PS4 gaming and BR movies, will 550+Polk t1600 do the trick?

Thank you for the suggestion. I am not too keen in second hand at the moment. For my purpose PS4 gaming and BR movies, will 550+Polk t1600 do the trick?
No harm going second hand, provided you find a good sample. If someone has a one or two year old 2400X and wants to dump it, its a win for you. Don't be in a hurry. A 2400 (or even 1600 as mentioned above) will be better than a S650 or 550, which are absolute bargain basement AVR's that you must avoid.

The power chord being detachable or not should not matter. 230-240 volt is what you want.
I cannot comment on the T1600. Never seen or heard one.

I've found this on #OLX. What do you think? Denon Atmos Avr and Polk Audio 7.1 speakers pack www.olx.in/item/denon-atmos-avr-and-polk-audio-71-speakers-pack-iid-167177639
I have No affiliation with this add or the seller, just found on OLX. Well with in your budget a good AVR and 7.1Polk speaker setup.
Thank you for this suggestion. By going for a new albeit lesser in specs and audio quality vs OLX deals and second hand products have always been a between devil and the deep blue sea decision for me. The problem is with electronics (even the ones like you have directed, under warranty) will be junk pretty soon as the ones who sell won't even sell if they function seamlessly. All those "going for upgrades and thus selling the existing one" arguments may only offer a solace but is not a risk assurance.

Many FMs don't even confidently say new AVRs will last a half dozen years but they would give assurances on speaker purchases. When it comes to AVRs and the lack of proper service centers and our increasing inability in getting chip level servicing done, second hand is a big big risk. Should motherboards fry post warranty, money is down the drain, as AVRs have many compact circuitary components made to cater to consumer demands that it is fast becoming less durable.

If I use this plus use a voltage stabilizer will it be a risk I am taking? I don't want to fry the avr by a bad choice of electric circuitry.
If possible avoid 110-120 V gear in India . No point in simply adding a step down in the chain when you have the option of keeping things simple.
Better to wait and not hurry.

When it comes to AVRs and the lack of proper service centers and our increasing inability in getting chip level servicing done, second hand is a big big risk.
You are only looking at the negatives. Look at the bright side. You have music in your home for a faction of the price that the person who bought that equipment first hand. There are a lot of folks who upgrade for the sake of an upgrade or they just want the latest. Their loss is your gain. Make the most of it.

I do not recommended buying any AV equipment blind. Not on Olx for sure. If someone is selling some gear (even Olx), go and inspect it and ask them for a one week warranty window, atleast. If they can't give you that, walk away. No harm done. Now that one week warranty isn't for you to play that receiver at 100%, blow it up and then take it back or finding fault with it. If something works well for a week, we can safely assume its in good shape.

I report from a different part of the world so this does not necessarily apply. My AV receiver is now 11 years old! The AV receiver used to retail for over 100k INR in 2011. Thats serious money for that time, for an avr. I scored it for <50% of that price 1 year ago. Sounds like I over paid. However, if I want to score something equivalent of that, it would cost me >3x what I paid for a current gen model. Except Atmos and 4k, it does everything I need it to do. It has 7.2 channels of sound, 7 HDMI inputs (and two outputs), phono input, full auto calibration, a full selection pre outs and built well. Most important, it sounds good. What more do you really need? It was a praised model back in the day too.

If you find something mid range thats even 5 years old, is looked after and from what looks like a good seller and home, consider it. I regret not buying a few other higher end receivers that had come my way. I was playing too cheap. One was a Onkyo RZ800. Yes its a brand plagued with HDMI board issues and this receiver had none of those issues. It all worked and not a screw opened on it to date.

Its a waiting game and its worth taking your time with it. Or, you settle for something new and pay full price for it. Not a S650 or 550 for sure.

You are only looking at the negatives. Look at the bright side. You have music in your home for a faction of the price that the person who bought that equipment first hand. There are a lot of folks who upgrade for the sake of an upgrade or they just want the latest. Their loss is your gain. Make the most of it.

I do not recommended buying any AV equipment blind. Not on Olx for sure. If someone is selling some gear (even Olx), go and inspect it and ask them for a one week warranty window, atleast. If they can't give you that, walk away. No harm done. Now that one week warranty isn't for you to play that receiver at 100%, blow it up and then take it back or finding fault with it. If something works well for a week, we can safely assume its in good shape.

I report from a different part of the world so this does not necessarily apply. My AV receiver is now 11 years old! The AV receiver used to retail for over 100k INR in 2011. Thats serious money for that time, for an avr. I scored it for <50% of that price 1 year ago. Sounds like I over paid. However, if I want to score something equivalent of that, it would cost me >3x what I paid for a current gen model. Except Atmos and 4k, it does everything I need it to do. It has 7.2 channels of sound, 7 HDMI inputs (and two outputs), phono input, full auto calibration, a full selection pre outs and built well. Most important, it sounds good. What more do you really need? It was a praised model back in the day too.

If you find something mid range thats even 5 years old, is looked after and from what looks like a good seller and home, consider it. I regret not buying a few other higher end receivers that had come my way. I was playing too cheap. One was a Onkyo RZ800. Yes its a brand plagued with HDMI board issues and this receiver had none of those issues. It all worked and not a screw opened on it to date.

Its a waiting game and its worth taking your time with it. Or, you settle for something new and pay full price for it. Not a S650 or 550 for sure.
If the seller is from own city and it was not pandemic times, I would test it myself and take a call accordingly. But I can't take a chance from out of city/state advert posters. You told your pov and i respect that. But I am not willing to take a caveat emptor on second hand products unless it is really really needed like there are no new products in inventory line or some semi conductor shortage puts an end to new product manufacturing for good.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back