Is LG42LH90 good??,still produced???

balabala

Hi,am a newbie:).I had been to a showroom to check LGPK550,the sales guy instead promoted LG LED 42LH 9O and quoted Rs.63,800 for the same.Is it a good TV,I thought it was discontinued,its not showing in LG's website or brochures.My only usages will be viewing movies from DVD and watch satellite channels using DTH.Iam interested in LG42LH 9O because it is the only full LED available in that price bracket.
Kindly,give me an advice,or any other alternatives in the budget of around 65k
Thanks and it's nice to be among uou all.

Hi,am a newbie:).I had been to a showroom to check LGPK550,the sales guy instead promoted LG LED 42LH 9O and quoted Rs.63,800 for the same.Is it a good TV,I thought it was discontinued,its not showing in LG's website or brochures.My only usages will be viewing movies from DVD and watch satellite channels using DTH.Iam interested in LG42LH 9O because it is the only full LED available in that price bracket.

inmho if you plan to wath only sd material lh90 is the better choice than a 50"

Bala
The LH90 is a good choice for your usage of DVD/ DTH...it has a good upscaler which significantly improves PQ. Good VFM choice...go for it.
Cheers

Hi Bala and welcome to the forum!

The LG LH90 LED TV was a hot seller but has been discontinued. I have seen a demo once and was quite surprised with the excellent picture quality and blacks. Since the model has already been discontinued and is no longer in production, please bargain and see if you can get the price down. Otherwise, for your budget, you can easily go for a 50 inch plasma. I picked up an LG 50PJ560 plasma for 59k (with free Airtel HD DTH) and it arrived only on Sat night. I am yet to post about this with pics. Shall do so this week.

I have a feeling you went to E-Zone and had that demo ... did you? I am in Chennai as well and have experienced the same kind of sales "push" like you have mentioned (basically to clear old demo sets or old stocks).

---Venkat

Thanks Borg,Asterix and VSG for your replies and inputs
It was SHAHS' showroom that I had visited and I specifically sence some urge to push this particalr model out,because they first said it is only a one day offer,they first gave a quote of Rs.64,500 and then they themself cimbed down to the price I had mentioned.I had seen demo of a 50 inch LG plasma elsewhere,but it was not PK550,but still it was brilliant,so I assumed that PK550 would also be good,because it is full HD too.So,my look out was for PK550,but Iam eager about 42LH90 too,because after all it's an LED and a FULL LED one,at such a bargain price
Iam totally confused about the choice,PK550 or 42LH90,the former one is bigger one and that tilts the scale towards it
About,EZONE,they were trying to push for a PANNY plasma and Iam not interested
Are there better models from SAMSUNG in this price range,because my current Television is a 42 rear projection from SAMSUNG and it's simply brilliant,picture quality like a Picasso painting and sound like a Symphony!
VSG,why didn't you go for FULL HD plasma for just 5k more??,was the model you had mentioned was the one in display in VASANTH??,It very good,but why not a full hd and be future proof????

pk550 is great vfm, when i was planning my purchase, there was some issues with the set, but recently lg corrected those with a new firmware. Can you control the lighting in your room, because it is quite reflective. If your room is a bright one gofor lcd/led otherwise plasma is fine
What is your viewing distance?.Why only dth and sd channels, imho if you are buying a full hd 50 incher you have to use that for watching hidef content to fully appreciate it.Either blu-ray movies or 720p downloads.SD will look worse than a 42" in 50 inchers.Also in near future we might have more hd channels in dth

Thanks Borg for that info.My room/bedroom is dark and has the windows covered with screens,so I hope it will not be reflective(but it will be placed just opposite the windows).The viewing distance will be 8 to 10 feet,would be viewed lying down,so it should be good from all viewing angles
Why only DTH and SD channels(what its SD??!!),because Iam a stupid doc who is not tech savvy!!.What did you mean by Hidef content??isn't the Full HD SUN direct transmission or the airtell transmission a Hidef transmission,at least a few channels??
Bluray movies are not available in my place.Yes,in future we might get more HD channels,so isn't a FULL HD TV better anyday??
Thanks for the reply

Thanks Borg for that info.My room/bedroom is dark and has the windows covered with screens,so I hope it will not be reflective(but it will be placed just opposite the windows).The viewing distance will be 8 to 10 feet,would be viewed lying down,so it should be good from all viewing angles
Why only DTH and SD channels(what its SD??!!),because Iam a stupid doc who is not tech savvy!!.What did you mean by Hidef content??isn't the Full HD SUN direct transmission or the airtell transmission a Hidef transmission,at least a few channels??
Bluray movies are not available in my place.Yes,in future we might get more HD channels,so isn't a FULL HD TV better anyday??
Thanks for the reply

if your room is dark then plasma will give you better picture quality

SD is standard defenition, normal.cable. dth dvd etc are SD.

Viewing SD material on Big screen like 50" exposes the defects in the low res signal at and at 8feet wont be looking nice,however bluray and 720p downloaded movies look amazing at that distance on a big screen

Thanks for the reply

Hi Bala
I have a 47inch LH90 and my viewing distance is abt 8-10 ft. HD content at this viewing distance is awesome, and SD content (set top box) is tolerable. Some channels like Discovery, History, Sun look good at this distance.
Once wall mounted, the TV can be swivelled by about 5 degrees horizontally and verticallly,...this addressed my viewing angle requirement (from bean bags!) and should serve your requirement as well (lying on bed)

Bala, it's just that at seating distances of more than 6 feet, the human eye can't make out the difference in detail between 720p and 1080p HD. Plus, the PK550 had some issues when I was deciding, though this was the one I initially wanted to get. Due to the issues and the extent to which some people went to have this sorted out, I just decided to avoid this model, and went for the 50PJ560 which has very good speakers (for tv watching), but is only HD ready at 1365x768 resolution.

You can check out this link to read more about whether full HD 1080p is worth it:

1080p Does Matter – Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com

The 50PJ560 is superb and I am very happy with the picture quality. 720p and 1080p blu ray rips look stunning. DVDs look good too and so does National Geographic HD through the Airtel HD set top box.

---Venkat

Thanks Asterix,borg and Venkat
Your inputs were very usefull and informative.Thanks,I shall have a last look at these two models and make a final desicion and will post the details about purchase,but the last price I got from Vasnth for PK550 was Rs.66,500

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back