Is Sonodyne Sonus 2605v3 compatible with Onkyo HT-R558

rudraps

Hi,
I am planning on getting a couple of floor standing speakers for pure music listening. I already own and Onkyo home theatre package which is good enough for movie viewing. I am planning to use the B speaker terminals of the Onkyo AV receiver HT-R558 to the floor standing speakers for purely listening to stereo music. And I am looking for floor standing speakers assuming it will provide me with reasonable bass without a dedicated sub-woofer. I have kind of short-listed the Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 speakers. I have basically two (sorry three) questions to help me decide.
1. Will the AV receiver HT-R558 have enough power to drive the sonus speakers. (Providing specifications for both below)
2. Will floor standing speakers really make a difference (i.e make my music listening experience any better) compared to what I get today out of the 5.1 channel Onkyo HT that I own.
3. At what price do these sonus speakers retail? I have seen ~35,000 in hifimart. But read in many forums that users have actually bought these (pair) at ~27,000.

Onkyo HT-R558 AV Receiver
Rated Output Power
All channels: 5 ch 100 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven of 1 % (IEC)
Maximum Effective Output Power (Australian and Asian) : 5 ch 120 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven (JEITA)​
Dynamic Power IEC60268-Short-term maximum output power
160 W (3 ?, Front)
125 W (4 ?, Front)
85 W (8 ?, Front)​
THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion+Noise)
0.08% (20 Hz - 20 kHz, half power)​
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 ?)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Unbalance)
200 mV/47 k? (LINE)​
Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance
200 mV/2.2 k? (REC OUT)​
Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance
2 V/2.2 k? (REC OUT)​
Frequency Response 5 Hz - 100 kHz/+1 dB, 3 dB (DSP bypass)
Tone Control Characteristics
10 dB, 50 Hz (BASS)
10 dB, 20 kHz (TREBLE)​
Signal to Noise Ratio 100 dB (LINE, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance 6 ? - 16 ?

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3
DESCRIPTION 3 way floorstanding speaker system, vented
ENCLOSURE Baffle: 18mm MDF, rest: 18mm particle board
Front: rich silver; sides: rosewood
TRANSDUCER COMPLEMENTS 2 x 6.5" subwoofer
1 x 5.25" PP cone midrange
1 x 1" silk dome tweeter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ohm
FREQ. RESP. (+/-3dB) 45Hz ~ 20kHz
SENSITIVITY (1W, 1M) 89dB
RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER POWER 50~120W/ channel
CROSSOVER FREQ. 600Hz, 3.5kHz
GRILLE Black acoustic grill cloth
DIMENSIONS (HxWxD) mm 1024 x 210 x 307 (without spikes)
NET WEIGHT 22 Kg
INTERNAL VOLUME 42 L

Hi,
I think you should spend some time reading about differences in using AVR vs Stereo Amplifier in the forum for music (stereo) experience.
Stereo Amplifiers are preferred over AVR for music listening.
Have you tried listening songs in your current setup (AVR + 5.1 speakers) putting AVR in stereo mode? I think R+L+Sub would be active in that mode, you will get some of SQ of your current setup.
Sonus 2605 are power hungry FS, AVR specifications look good enough to drive these though not sure how far better sound you can get using this setup.
Why not looking for stereo amplifier as well with new speakers!!
BTW which speakers do you have currently that you use with your AVR?

I had the Sonus 2605 v2 for more than 2 years time and was pretty happy with it... I have enjoyed pairing the Sonus with Onkyo AVR's..

Looking @ the specs of your AVR and Sonodyne Sonus 2605 v3, sure it will drive them, but your AVR may not have enough oomph to drive the FS..

Don't know your room dimensions...I belive you have Onkyo HTIB speakers now...Changing your HTIB speakers, will definitely give you improvement for movies & music...

You may consider replacing the Front & center speakers together as it would give you better performance.. You can also consider Sonodyne Sonus 1501 v3 BS along with Sonus c2501 center channel...

Yes the Sonus 2605 v3 was retailing for 27K a pair 3 yrs back...

Hi,
I am planning on getting a couple of floor standing speakers for pure music listening<snip>I have kind of short-listed the Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 speakers. I have basically two (sorry three) questions to help me decide.
1. Will the AV receiver <No idea, skipped question>
2. Will floor standing speakers really make a difference (i.e make my music listening experience any better) compared to what I get today out of the 5.1 channel Onkyo HT that I own.<it depends. if you are after imaging and stuff you would be better off with bookshelves (which is where I am headed), bass, FS (maybe, my room is rather inconveniently dimensioned for FS (all audio ???), and if that is your case remember most of the iceberg is really under the water)>
3. At what price do these sonus speakers retail? I have seen ~35,000 in hifimart. But read in many forums that users have actually bought these (pair) at ~27,000.<republic day sale>

Also must ask why ?

ciao
gr

Thanks for all the messages. The main reason I am looking at the FS is that I am currently using the Onkyo HT speakers that came out of the box. And while they sound great and provide an immersive experience while watching a blue ray movie in full HD, the experience with my music albums are nowhere near to those levels.
guddu478, I might just look at a dedicated stereo amplifier along with the FS for music .... any suggestions?
I have a reasonably sized room 225 sq. ft and my favorite listening position is about 10ft from the speakers and TV.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back