is this a good deal?

hey guys, this is my first post here, so go easy on me please :)

i have this pair of B&W dm602s2 which a carpenter dropped from 10 feet high.
they dont sound too, and are, IMO pretty good for movies and games. however, since the fall, their musical performance has seriously degraded.

BTW, i run them through a marantz sr6005 and a ps3.

so now i have 2 choices:

1) buy a new pair of speakers for about 60-80000, and replace the B&W with them.

2) my mom was offered this system by a close friend, its about 5 yers old already, so keep that in mind before suggesting anything.

this is the description that the friend gave my mom.
Marantz Amp PM80 mkII SE - $500 [this was over $2,000 price - PM80 was Euro 900, and mkII SE was close to Euro 1600 range] - this is a stunning amp. needs just minor potentiometer cleaning.i dont know what a potentiometer is, so could someone tell me?

Marantz CD-67mkII SE - $150 [list at the time of release when i bought was $700] - works perfectly

both CD player and amps are mark 2 and Special Editions which is improvement on base mark I models and then higher grade components to get a SE sticker.

Tape - 0 [this was $400 plus price range] - Marantz Dual Cassette Deck - works perfectly

Equalizer - 0 [this was $400 plus price range] - works perfectly - dual 10 + 10 channel equalizer

Speakers - $300 [1,250 odd when bought] - these classic Mordaunt Shorts are totally impossible to get in this condition few high end audiophile book shelf speakers made by the company(i dont know the exact model yet, so ill update as soon as i find out.

Transparent speaker cables - $100 [bought at $600 odd] - not pristine but 100% working and nice.

stand - 0 [bought for around $300] - not in best of condition thanks to humidity attack on iron/steel - good for speakers / optional [if you put speakers on the stands sound is better due to isolation]

Transparent Interconnectes cables [from CD to Equalizer / Equalizer to Amp / Tape to Amp] - 3 pairs @ $50 each - all were $250 to $300 range when bought - $150 total

hes giving this to us for 1200 USD, which seems to be a good deal. again, i dont know the exact speaker model yet, but ill tell you as soon as i find out.

so a little bit about my preferences, i listen to a lot of music, mostly from the pre 1980s era. none of that modern shit haha ;)

so essentially billy joe, dire straits, pink floyd, supertramp, foreigner, joan baez, queen and a lot of jazz.

thanks for your help guys. and remember, im also willing to buy used speakers, so if anyone wants to sell me a (not too) old pair, feel free to PM me. also, im toying with the idea of seling the B&Ws. only one of the speakers is damaged and they should be easily repairable. so feel free to PM me an offer for those too.

thanks for reading through the whole thing :)

dhruv

thanks baijuxavior
so do you think what im getting is a good deal?

I have no idea. May be the experts in this forum can help you.

and why does a potentiometer need to be cleaned?

Accumulation of dust and other dirt particles will affect it's working. This can result in unwanted sounds like crackling when changing the volume. I usually use petrol or some isopropanol (isopropyl) alcohol drops to clean the volume control of my creative speaker system.

How to repair a crackling volume control?

bump.
havent heard back from the guy yet. could anyone guess what speakers he would be talking about. think back 4-5 years ago and try to remember MS speakers around that price point ( i was 11 5 years ago, so i wouldnt remember)

Hey, where is this equipment located? Why dont you go and see and listen to the system before you make up the mind?

Did I miss something?

unfortunately for me, all this is in indonesia, and its gonna be shipped from there if me and my mom decide to buy it. the guy whos selling it is a trusted source, a close friend of my mom, so the condition and stufff shouldnt be a problem.

i like marantz's sound sig, more than onkyo atleast( the only ones ive ever listened to) and i own a sr6005, so i was tempted to go for this. the only thing holding me back was the fact that i didnt know which speakers i was getting. again, i hope to get to know about them in a few days.

till then, i would be grateful if anyone could tell me about the rest of the components.
thanks
dhruv

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back