Isoacoustics ISO-L8R Monitor Stands

Thad E Ginathom

For quite a while now, I've been using High-Density Compacted Wood Pulp stands for my desktop speakers. Oh, that's piles of books in ordinary-speak :lol:. They get the drivers to the required hight, and they are certainly solid, but they do pass vibration through to the desktop. I'd been wondering about some better (even better-looking, to be honest! :rolleyes:) solution and, some time ago, came across these:

Isoacoustics ISO-L8R Monitor Stands.

On the web page, they really don't look much, but they are aimed at the Pro, Studio market, and seem to be well received.

Getting into an offtopic conversation on another thread made me think these could do with a thread of their own...

Actually, I want these: isoacoustics, but I don't want to buy before I know what speakers I will end up, or else I might waste money on the wrong size.

Santy said:
Video introduction to ISO-L8R155 speaker stands
This is simply ridiculous. I can hear one hell of a difference on my crappy laptop speakers. Clearly the audio is manipulated.

Thad E Ginathom said:
Not so fast! Check out Gearslutz. OK, they are Gear Sluts, by definition, and even pros have their own susceptibility to snake oil, albeit different to the audiophile flavours --- but they tend to be less prone to buying complete rubbiish, especially when it looks like cheap plastic. Which, on the web, this does.
Santy said:
IMO, making a "video" for this kind of comparison and asking the viewer to hear the difference itself is ridiculous in first place.
It is like recording audio from speakers driven by two different amps and challenging the viewer about the difference they can hear irrespective of what system they play it on. Heck, the video might have an audio stream of less than 96 kbps for that matter.
Thad E Ginathom said:
I agree with you so much that I almost didn't bother to even watch the Isoacoustics video.

Putting, or watching, hifi "demos" on Youtube actually shocked me the first time I encountered it. It just leaves me thinking WTF? WHY EVEN TRY TO DO THIS? In ITALIC CAPS.

Santy said:
FWIW, I am a believer of speaker stands but not willing to buy this claim as shown in the video.
Thad E Ginathom said:
About this video... either it is fake, or something is big enough to survive even the Youtube pipeline. Assuming basic integrity of the company (and they would certainly have used superb equipment to record that demo, not just some handy-cam) then all I can say is, I wouldn't buy the speakers on the basis of that, or any video, but there may be evidence there to buy the stands.

When I get around to it, and get a few other liabilities sorted first, I'll be your guinea pig :). I'll post a video on Youtube :lol:

Here is one review on Gearslutz --- from a guy who shares our YouTube reservations but is impressed with the product.

~

Last edited:
I almost clicked " BUY" more than a few times on the ISOL8R-200 soon after somebody first posted about this product on HFV. But each time I held back because the speakers are due for upgrade and resale and I saw no point in investing to use them just for a few months.

I am really curious about your impending review about these stands. :)

G0bble

That's my problem too.

So we just have to see which of us fixes the speakers first!

(I think I am unlikely to buy any speaker for my current desk-in-an-alcove that would not fit on the 155. Not bigger, at least... but what if I got something smaller! :eek:

BTW, where did you nearly click 'buy?' I wonder how many dealers there are.

When I get around to it, and get a few other liabilities sorted first, I'll be your guinea pig :). I'll post a video on Youtube :lol:

~

If you do post the video, then please make sure that both the speakers are at the same height from the table. You can't leave one speaker on table and another elevated by stand and then proclaim the stand makes the difference. It could very well be the elevation from the table that made the difference.:cool:

Thad I am not disregarding this product or those who tried it on gearslutz, but just the video. That if I can hear so much differrence in the video through laptop speakers, I can't imagine what would be heard in direct presence. My actives are also resting on some rubbery thing (what they call as isopod) and I believe it is designed for better SQ. I can't really test the monitors without it coz its bottom is very curvy (no pun intended!). According to me , the difference HAS to be subtle and would need critical listening, if not going by this video, the speaker technology must itself be so very flawed.

Santy,

I agree, the difference is quite big. But I think its because one speaker is directly on the table and another lifted few inches. Woofer near boundary is sure to do some bass reinforcement. You can make it out from the video.

No! I am taking on tha audiophile agony of choosing speakers which are flat and unflavoured, but don't make bad music hell to listen to and don't make good recordings fatiguing. Given my very limited-space alcove, I think the Equators might fit best ...but hey, I fancy ribbon tweaters. And Genelec is too expensive. My alcove wouldn't allow any speaker to shine: especially, normal bass would be too much bass. Hence, amongst my options, spending more on the headphones is the most sensible.

If you do post the video, then please make sure that both the speakers are at the same height from the table. You can't leave one speaker on table and another elevated by stand and then proclaim the stand makes the difference. It could very well be the elevation from the table that made the difference.:cool:

There is a lot wrong with my ears, and it does impact music listening ---but they are, at least, at roughly the same height :cool: --- so, yes, the speakers will be too! :eek:hyeah: :lol:
manoj.p said:
I agree, the difference is quite big. But I think its because one speaker is directly on the table and another lifted few inches. Woofer near boundary is sure to do some bass reinforcement. You can make it out from the video.

Transmission of energy into the desk top by vibration and to the ear by reflection from it, are very well understood phenomena in an industry where nearfields will be placed where it is a risk --- and, of course, it is part of the reasoning behind this, and any other, isolation product. Because this is a "pro" product, I think that, if it were just the few inches, then pros would say, "Hey, it's just the few inches: a couple of bricks would do the same thing!"

But, of course, I a make assumptions. Everyone is trying to sell us stuff: we choose ...what we choose!

Thad I am not disregarding this product or those who tried it on gearslutz, but just the video. That if I can hear so much differrence in the video through laptop speakers, I can't imagine what would be heard in direct presence. My actives are also resting on some rubbery thing (what they call as isopod) and I believe it is designed for better SQ. I can't really test the monitors without it coz its bottom is very curvy (no pun intended!). According to me , the difference HAS to be subtle and would need critical listening, if not going by this video, the speaker technology must itself be so very flawed.

Santy, you know I'm a cynic, and especially cynical about all things audio (and spiritual: I note with interest that the thought processes are often the same ;)). What I understand about these ISO-L8rs (Sheesh, corny, off-putting name!) is that the difference is that they not only isolate, but they control the axis of the speakers' vibration to be inline, back and forwards, not side to side.

Move the speakers enough, and, ultimately, I suppose you get something like a Hammond Organ. Move them a little: smearing andloss of imaging would result. The latter could hardly show on a Youtube video even if made with pro gear, so maybe they are even more amazing in real life? :p Could this be? :eek:hyeah: Will I have to use that terrible phrase, Night and Day Difference? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Thad,

Have you ordered this product or demo-ed them ?

Wanted to purchase it locally, had been putting it off for so long and to my surprise when I went to the local dealer to purchase them, found out he has wound up his business here.

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered it online yesterday, just waiting it to be delivered now.

Thanks

I haven't seen or bought them. This is because I keep dithering about what speakers I am going to end up on my desk, and I don't want to buy a stand that is too big or too small.

Actually, I've been thinking about them again. As my audio money, these days, tends to be "ear-"marked (hee hee, thought of the pun as I typed it) towards headphone listening, I've been wondering about putting a pair under my existing value-for-money M-Audio AV40s.

Basically, still thinking about it. And likely to go on that way :eek:.

Where did you order from? Looking forward to your impressions when you get them :D

i haven't seen or bought them. This is because i keep dithering about what speakers i am going to end up on my desk, and i don't want to buy a stand that is too big or too small.

Actually, i've been thinking about them again. As my audio money, these days, tends to be "ear-"marked (hee hee, thought of the pun as i typed it) towards headphone listening, i've been wondering about putting a pair under my existing value-for-money m-audio av40s.

Basically, still thinking about it. And likely to go on that way :eek:.

Where did you order from? Looking forward to your impressions when you get them :d

I ordered through amazon.in. Just got bored of headphone listening so now back to my monitors :eek:hyeah:. I will surely post a video and my observations once I lay my hands on them.

Cheers.

Just received my Isoacoustics stands today.

Forgive me for the setup. It was done in a rush since I had to reach work.

20150313_145729.jpg

Assembly is quite a pain. There is a significant improvement in SQ. BS owners should give it a try. You will not go back to listening without one.

Please feel free to ask me anything if you wish. Feeling like writing a review :D.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back