Jahan e Khusrau

panditji

Yesterday was the last day of the Jahan e Khusrau festival at Humayun's tomb with a finale by Abida Parveen who was in her usual element....
However the real star was the Sonam Kalra Sufi Project for me with Sonam Kalra as the vocalist with a Sufi ensemble supporting her....

I had seen Sonam Kalra perform a few years back when she first started out singing old jazz numbers and gospel music and was impressed by her singing but kind of bored with the very old songs she performed. She however is also a trained classical singer and has very recently formed a Sufi band which I had been wanting to hear very eagerly...

Yesterday, I came back mesmerized with her singing talent as well as her very talented band as they sang some Sufi music as well as Leonard Cohen's ' Hallelujah' ...

Below is a link of her rendition at another venue as I was enjoying the song at the venue and could not take a video or pictures....The sarangi and flute in this song was superb...

Sufi Gospel Project-sonam kalra - YouTube

Nice report. I am glad Delhi is still not void of art performances. Any news on Mandi House? Whatever happened to it? Any replacement plans?

Oh btw (no offence to Abida Parveen fans), I find her overrated. I have never been able to connect to her as much as to other sufi artists.

ranjit, i have a couple of her albums that are absolute stonkers! will give em to you the next time you're here....

also, recently acquired a very hard to get set of 5 cds of nusrat (live in paris)!

you have to listen to them to really understand why he got worldwide fame!

Yesterday, I came back mesmerized with her singing talent as well as her very talented band as they sang some Sufi music as well as Leonard Cohen's ' Hallelujah' ...
Sufi Gospel Project-sonam kalra - YouTube

Beautiful....I really like this one. Thanks Rahul for sharing this.

Does anyone know if the Sufi Gospel Project has come out with a CD release?

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back