Jamo S426 HCS and Pioneer VSX-S300 Combo

himeshj

Hi Gurus,

I have been offered a 3-4 year old Jamo S426 HCS 3, 5.0 speakers and sub, Black Ash and Pioneer VSX-S300 for 35K (slightly negotiable). The condition is decent apart from a few scratches.

Since I know absolutely nothing about AV, I have a few questions:

1. Just looking for a basic Home Theater / Hifi system, will this suffice?
  2. What kind of source would I need? Have an old LG DVD player and XBOX 360, will it work with both of them?
  3. Is the price ok? Is there anything better at similar price points, used/new?
  4. The speakers seem to have got decent reviews Jamo S426 HCS 3 & SUB 260 review - Surround Sound System - Trusted Reviews but there is not much about the Pioneer Pioneer VSX-S300 A/V Receiver | Product overview | What Hi-Fi?, can someone point me to some indepth reviews for the amp?
  5. What would I need to connect my iPod / iPhone to it wirelessly? Costs?
  6. Anything specific I should look for when I go to have a listen?
Thanks guys, would appreciate some detailed answers.

Hi,

A new set of the same speakers at Reliance Digital costs almost 28k. The Pioneer Slim series AVR is not locally available in India and VSX S301k seems to be the latest model with 4k pass through and almost same features.

Output is supposedly around 50w per channel @ 8 ohms and 70-75w per channel @ 6 ohms.

The key is to audition the system with your kind of music and see the performance. Remove the speaker grills and check if the speakers are sounding well at low and high volumes...test with acoustic music, heavy bass and high energy fast music which has almost all audible frequencies which will prove the performance of these speakers...check cursory if all modes , features are working...especially the ones you would use frequently....Pioneer series of AVRs are good I did own a VSX 520k for a year and seem to be nice to a certain extent...I then moved to Marantz.....It is stated that the Pioneer LX series are better performing AVRs from their entire range.....

It would be a good idea to check on amazon or ebay to see whats the new rate for a vsx s 300k and what is the rate for a used one...check the price for used jamo speakers....

Accordingly after doing all this, evaluate and take a decision and decide....all the best

Thanks for your kind reply and suggestions, efernand1, especially for the Reliance Digital price hint :clapping: The RD price does not include the sub but still 35K for a 3 yr old system does not look that attractive any more :sad:. I guess I can negotiate better armed with this info now.

Like you suggested, I will do a quick audition and then decide.

Take care!

Hi Himeshj

You are welcome...pls audition the system and take a conscious call....better to carry your kind of music / movies and check out the performance....look out for traces of wear and tear...ask if it was every serviced / repaired in the last 3 years etc....

All the best....hope you get something good...some sellers are genuine ..while others just want to make a quick buck and sell you something so cheap that you will jump to the offer and not check the working performance or condition...this is very imp from a purchasing pre owned standpoint. Take Care!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back