joystick or gamepad

doors666

I am not much into gaming, but still wanted to get one of these to play games on the pc. mainly fps, racing kind of games. kids as well as adults should be able to use it:). Which one of these two should I get. I see gamepads being used a lot more these days, but a joystick seems more intuitive. Any recommended models for cheap ones. looking to spend around 1k.

Do all the games work with either of these or does a game need to explicitly support either of these. Are the ones made for pc compatible with the ones sold for consoles.

That's a rather large question. It depends on your tastes and your setup and your existing hardware.

Gaming keyboards and mice tend to have more buttons and supposedly "cool" designs (which I get bored of in no time so I look for something that i wont get bored of quickly and that only happens when something offers an unparalleled functionality/comfort)

However being a gamer for 20 years now i prefer an normal lightweight mouse that is suitable to my natural hand posture, for example i bought a deathadder and it gave me a handache so i bought a razer abyssus for 1/3rd the price of a deathadder and I found it better yet everyone else hates it.

Matter of taste really.

However that being said, you can easily game on a tvse keyboard from 1990 and a Rs 200 mouse no problem :)

you could get a 'wired xbox 360 controller for pc' from homeshop18 or some other site after applying a discount coupon. this can be fun for non-shooter games (role-playing games, adventure games, etc), plus the ergonomic design and rumble feature of this sturdy controller gives a good enjoyment overall.

otherwise a decent KB+Mouse option as suggested above is also very good, since you already stated you are not much into gaming.

Gamer for about 20 years.

Always been on Keyboard and mice.
Had a Logitech joystick for few months and then parted ways for good.
currently using G15 and G9(without the adapters) as my palm size is small and also that I prefer heavier mouse.

Note:
a Lot depend on comfort and the kind of game you play ( for example - strategy games are easier on kb and mice. )

Personal recommendation - for PC :
neither joystick nor gamepad.
preferred : KB and Mice or TouchScreen(windows 7).

Gamer for about 20 years.

Always been on Keyboard and mice.
Had a Logitech joystick for few months and then parted ways for good.
currently using G15 and G9(without the adapters) as my palm size is small and also that I prefer heavier mouse.

Note:
a Lot depend on comfort and the kind of game you play ( for example - strategy games are easier on kb and mice. )

Personal recommendation - for PC :
neither joystick nor gamepad.
preferred : KB and Mice or TouchScreen(windows 7).

kbd and mouse are always going to be there:). I am pretty comfy with them, wife and kids could use something different. for fps, air shooting, car racing etc kind of games, if you had to pick one out of the two, which one would you guys pick.

what was the issue with the joystick. what kind of games was it good or bad for. I am currently having a slight preference for joystick over gamepad. is it easy for kids to learn how to use one? i personally could never get used to it, one major factor why i dont own a gaming device. too many non intuitive buttons. that gadget is a user interface disaster and still is so popular.:)

for flight sims - joystick

for other games - gamepad (X360 controller. you wont need to look sideways for anything else).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back