L-75 plinth build -My recent projects

kuruvilajacob

As it has been proven beyond doubt that the most suitable and ideal Turntable for plinth building is none other than Lenco L 75. I am very fortunate that I have a friend in Kottayam with a Reference 2 Lenco built by Jean Naintes the master plinth builder for Lenco. Listening to the Lenco Reference 2 is an experience by itself.I was inspired by the Reference 2 build. I decided to build 3 plinths for 3 lenco L 75 turntables I had with me. Fortunately, I had at my doorsteps, one of the best carpentry workshop you could find ( I did not know this earlier). This workshop has the best trained carpenters as well as the latest tools . In my present position, this carpentry workshop comes under the same management and I have the access to their service. Most of the finished goods they make are for very high end houses and Churches. When i approached them, the supervisor was very keen to oblige and I explained to him my requirement. He had his own contributions to make it in making the plinth as quite as possible. We used 5 layers consisting of various different wood that was available there and the first layer was made by joining several pieces of wood cut and stuck together as the first impact of any resonance or vibration is at the top and eliminating or reducing that would make a better impact on the final outcome. Every step was meticulously planned and implemented . The outcome is quite outstanding. I have sold two of the Lencos and decided to retain one to keep as a standard for future reference. More about the experience of those who have auditioned in later posts. Right now all I have to say is that the immediacy , timing, and wide sound stage gives it a prime position considering that other giants in the room includes Thorens TD 121, Micro Siekie, Lenco with PTP and Thomas Shick arm and my favorite JP player I have used a Jelco OEM 9 inch arm with NOS Shure 44-7 cartridge Made in USA which seems to match the arm well.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back