LCR Phono DIY Anyone?

malvai

Banned
Banned
In pursuit of Vinly Nirvana, the last few years has seen me try out a myriad of phono stages in my set up. My current phono's (both very good): Ray Samuels' F117 & Monk Audio are superb at their price points. Have been very happy with both.

But, knowledge, is like the bite of the biblical apple. The more you know, the more you want to experience....

Off late, the past six months actually, i have been reading up about LCR phono stages.... They are supposed to be much purer in their sound due to many facts which i will list out.

I quote from an article in Positive Feedback online in reference to the yepsilon (LCR) phono:

In the past an alternative way of implementing a RIAA equalizer the LCR (Inductance-capacitance-resistance) circuit was proposed. A long time ago TANGO transformers from Japan used to produce such a circuit working in 600 Ohms.

A few manufacturers are using LCR based phono stages using variations of the original TANGO LCR circuit. The challenge in 600 Ohm LCR eq is to drive the network properly; having no more than 2 gain stages with enough overall gain and low enough output impedance.

The best way of driving the LCR network is by using a transformer. A properly implemented LCR RIAA sounds much more natural, musical and open than CR networks with better defined macro and micro dynamics.

After reading stuff like this, I have wanted to try out an LCR phono but, the few that are made are all upwards of the $5k mark....

I would love to try a DIY, but then, I am a complete klutz at anymore more than some very basic DIY.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows more about LCR phono's... also would love to collaborate on building one!

(Cybervinay, are you game?)

On more research, there seem to be a lot more LCR Phono's from known manufacturers: wavwac, yepsilon, Alnic and a few more that are not that well known.... the cheapest ones are costing over 4k USD!

Now that is silly money!

Any idea about the cost of the VinylSavor? It looks very interesting, except for the fact that one would need an SUT to use MCs.

Best luck guys. I would like to stop after my fourth phono stage which would be Pearl 2 from passdiy.

BTW, can I read review about LCR phono stages somewhere apart from seller?

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back