Left and right speaker tonal difference

amit11

Hi Friends,

When i closely hear the left and right speaker, i have a feeling that there is tonal difference between those two speakers.

The right speaker is more bright and open, say around 15 - 20% more compared to left. It is around 15 days only for the new setup. For removing doubt, I swapped the wires of left & right channel, even then I found that the physical right speaker sounds slightly different.

Any pointers what could be the issue, or I should contact the dealer from where I purchased because it might be a defect in the speaker? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Amit Mittal.

Hi Friends,

When i closely hear the left and right speaker, i have a feeling that there is tonal difference between those two speakers.

The right speaker is more bright and open, say around 15 - 20% more compared to left. It is around 15 days only for the new setup. For removing doubt, I swapped the wires of left & right channel, even then I found that the physical right speaker sounds slightly different.

Any pointers what could be the issue, or I should contact the dealer from where I purchased because it might be a defect in the speaker? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Amit Mittal.

kindly switchover those speakers sir and then listen to same song in same position we can point whether pb is in speakers

Hi,

Put your ears to the tweeter and see if it is working. Secondly, is your right speakers placed next to highly reflective structure? If it so then switch over the speakers like Karthi suggested and see if it still on the right side.

Last edited:
IMO, this difference is coming from your source. IIRC your source is apple product and signal is going thru DAC(inside apple) and then amplification(inside apple) and then again amplified by your Yam amp. So change the source and see the difference.
There is no fault in amp and speaker.

Last edited:
Thanks All, I will try checking the suggested options today.

I hope what Dheeraj is mentioning comes out to be true. So that I am relieved that there is no problem in speaker nor the amp.

After trying all possible permutation and combinations by swapping left and right wires, channel, physical speakers & their placement and also checked wiring only the tweeters / only the midrange-woofer drivers, i still have a feeling that one speaker box is slightly different than the other. The difference is observable when we listen the speakers closely by keeping ears near them individually. Not sure what should be the next step for further diagnosis... or should i ask my dealer to check for this defect. :-(

After trying all possible permutation and combinations by swapping left and right wires, channel, physical speakers & their placement and also checked wiring only the tweeters / only the midrange-woofer drivers, i still have a feeling that one speaker box is slightly different than the other. The difference is observable when we listen the speakers closely by keeping ears near them individually. Not sure what should be the next step for further diagnosis... or should i ask my dealer to check for this defect. :-(

Yes ask dealer for same..and ask him to bring his demo piece to check..
It is still under warranty and his duty is to address the same.

IMO, this difference is coming from your source. IIRC your source is apple product and signal is going thru DAC(inside apple) and then amplification(inside apple) and then again amplified by your Yam amp. So change the source and see the difference.
There is no fault in amp and speaker.

Did you change the source player?

Yes i did. I do not have cd player but i tried same song with two ipod models, ipad and two different iphone models and still felt the same issue.

One thing is sure...apple has such fans ...that they(fans) can spend any amount on apple products but when it comes to other more meaningful gadgets....you know what[emoji6]

Last edited:
haha...ya i understand... But by the way, i had personally spent / purchased only one ipad (and that too the mini version which is comparatively cheaper) and one iphone (and that too iphone for wife) from that list. others were given to me as gift. :)

Did you try physically swapping the speaker cables and the interconnects? Physically swap = not just swap connections at the amp end (or source/speaker end), but altogether swap the LHS cable for the RHS?

Are you using bare wire connections on the speaker cable? If you are, do strip a fresh centimeter or so of the cable.

If you have bananas/spades on the speaker cables, and the issue is with the connectors, swapping the cables will shift the issue to the other speaker.

And also do clean the RCA connectors (interconnects) and the RCA sockets at the amp end. Just in case the issue is with excessive oxidization on one cable or one end of one cable.

EDIT: To add, have you coiled the speaker cable on just one side? I've been told (by somebody who sets up sound for live music in events) that coiling of the cables can change the characteristics of the sound. This should generally happen only if the cable in question is very long.

Last edited:
Yes, i did physically swap all possible items and still feel that one particular speaker is more bright. Regarding coiled cable also i had tried but no luck. Btw single cable is only 3 metres long. No banana connectors and no oxidization currently.

I had spoken to dealer and he said to bring the speakers to his shop. My concern was that bring amplifier is feasible, but speakers is risky. He then mentioned that if he comes near my area then he can try to come else he was insisting to bring the speakers to his shop.

I had even put a general query on Tannoy site, and the customer care replied back saying that there might be some defect possible, hence to return back to dealer since it is under warranty.

So i am in dilemma, should i try to carry the speaker to the shop ( which is risky on my part as it may get mishandled during transit) or should i wait for them to come near my area for some other installatiompn and then they come to my home.

Last edited:
Yes, i did.......

Since the sound is audible at low volume I expect the affected frequencies to be within the normal vocal range. Before bringing the speakers to the dealer, please try the followings:-

1) disconnect one speaker and make sure you remove the speaker cables form the amplifier.

2) place you speaker on the floor and mark the floor.

3) play white noise and record them. The distance must be at one meter and do not play too loud.

3) repeat with the other speaker.

4) make sure your speaker and microphone are exactly on the same spot at all times.

5) make several recordings of each.

6) then compare the FR. If you do not know how to do that, please listen to the clips using your headphones or pc speakers.

7) just double check the serial number on each speakers and if possible write to the manufacturer asking for the history.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you don't have the original packing ( you should have saved it for some time !)
then pack it up in another box or at least protect it well with something and take it back in a friend's SUV ! Or even a hired large cab. You have to ensure that you 'don't scratch it' or the seller may make a big fuss.
Your last try could be to listen to only one speaker and then keeping everything the same, remove that speaker and place the other one there and listen again. If you are sure there is a difference then something is wrong. It IS possible !
But coming from Tannoy it sounds odd that something like this could escape their testing procedure. Would easily show up in a FR test ! It's really odd !

If the problem persists then taking it back is the best thing. Double check everything first, maybe even wait for the man to come ( pick him up and drop him back !). Carrying things up and down could be a huge pain ! But you need to solve this quickly !

Finally with much care and for the first time, packed and took the speakers at dealers shop. He seemed to find them ok and said it could be room acoustics, source etc which would be giving the impression of the issue.

He asked me which one is bright, then swapped with one of his demo speaker, right piece. I again felt some loudness difference. Then i asked him to put his left demo speaker...and finally with the least difference i could find, i was ok with the demo right and left speaker. This combinations and evaluation took around one hour.

Since those demo speakers were new pieces compared to ones which were there before, i was in a way ok to take them. Atleast they were ready to replace my speakers. So i came back home happy with the new speakers ( demo speakers but were new pieces ).

They sounded nice but since they were not breaked-in, i could not evalute them in detail. The next day, my ordered Fiio D03K Dac arrived and i connected via Apple Tv. So it was something like this.

Ipad -- > wifi router + apple tv --> Fiio dac --> speakers

The difference compared to ipad/ipod headphone out was felt and it seemed like an upgrade + comfort of wireless music.

Tighter bass.... More air ..... Clearer highs...
And i continued with my revised setup.

Few days went by but at the back of my mind some thing was at unease. I could not make out if there was something wrong or it was just my feeling. Soundwise everything was better, clearer but still....

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back