Legendary Meat Loaf is no more

Good bye Meat Loaf aka Marvin Lee Aday. U will be missed. No music lover can ever forget "Bat Out of Hell" and its sequels. Gone too soon. Incidentally Jim Stienman , his composer also passed few months back. Goodbye my friend.

Many may not have even noticed by MeatLoaf, one of the big names in Rock music history, passed away on the evening of 20 Jan 2022. Although being through a glam and trash metal scene in the 80s and 90s, I did not care much about Meatloaf and did not buy any of his albums, later on in life, I got to admire what a great singer he really ways, with such an amazing stage presence (despite being significantly overweight, something not associated with a rock front-man). He had a history of heart problems, though the actual cause of his passing was not mentioned.

His 1977 album, Bat out of Hell is ranked #4 on the list of highest selling albums of all time, but interestingly one thing led to another and he literally became a pauper, a few years after that, even filing for bankruptcy in order to escape a $80million dues case, filed against him by his record company. A few albums followed after that, mostly disappearing without a trace. He was finally dropped by his record company and went into bad times, wherein he had to borrow money from his father-in-law to (a pensioner himself) in order to feed his family. He also put together a small band and started working the American small town club circuit to earn a living (which was far cry from the 65000 arena that he used to sell out previously).

Then out of now where, he decided to have one last try at the big league in 1989, with Bat out of hell-2, which took 3 years to write and compose. The album was headlined by a magnum opus ballad called - I'd do anything for Love (but I wont do that) and the rest is history. The album shot to no#1 in the US, UK and most other countries across the world, the song itself ending up as the longest played track in Radio history. Meatloaf won the Grammy for Best Rock Solo Vocal Performance for this album. From then on, he became on the the legends of rock, eventually releasing another grand success, Bat out of Hell-3.

He was given the nickname 'Meat' by his father as he was significantly overweight as a kid and "Loaf" was added on by his friends at school.

MeatLoaf (Michael Lee Aday), September 27, 1947 – January 20, 2022

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back